Athlon x4 860k

EVGA 750Ti sc

MSI A78M-E35 V2

Seasonic 430eco

Hyper 212 evo

Some Sandisk SSD I salvaged

WD Green 1tb

Post from about a week ago:

"Okay, so a few months ago I was playing games like Skyrim and Dishonored at 60fps without a hitch on max settings. I even had about 20 mods installed for skyrim and nothing was even slightly stuttering.

Fast forward to 3 days ago, I load skyrim, deicde to play a new game, and bam. 7fps in a good mood. It even went as low as 2fps. Nothing new had been installed at all on my PC for a while, nothing could've physically hit my computer and damaged the GPU, I've scoured forums upon forums trying to find fixes believing it was just an error in the game. After reinstalling it and still having this issue, I tried deleting all of my saves - this got me up to 30fps outside and 50fps inside on the lowest possible settings.

The other day I loaded up Cities: Skylines - a game where I got about 30fps on medium settings. I had a similar issue and wouldn't get anywhere over 10fps in a city of 7,000.

It's not bottlenecked because it was able to hit 60fps previously, It's currently running at 31°C and as far as i'm aware it hasn't been at dangerous temperatures. All of my components were bought brand new last september, all of my drivers are up to date - i've also tried running the nvidia driver from when I got 60fps. Vsync is disabled where possible in games that lag, and i'm just so confused as to why I'm not getting my usual performance.

Now, my monitor is running at the wonky resolution of 1842x1036, but it has been the whole time i've had my pc, it's definitely 60Hz because I can get 60fps in certain menu screens, and as I'm typing this now i'm noticing that the image on the display is jumping up and down randomly for a split second.

Does anybody have any suggestions?"

Now I have no idea what is going on. I had some suggestions to run old drivers as the newer ones were a bit buggy, and that worked... for a day. The lag continued and skyrim has gotten even worse. Cities: Skylines is unplayable, Bioshock infinite ran beautifully at ultra settings but now it chugs on low settings at 12fps.

My current driver version is 362.00.

Are your temps in order? Has it ever overheated?

1 minute ago, 3DGamerOnSteam said:

Are your temps in order? Has it ever overheated?

Nope. Never overheated, all my temps are fine - rarely gets above 50C while gaming

Just now, ELSknutson said:

is windows downloading in the background?

Nothing is downloading

what OS are you running?

Windows 10 64 bit

What is the GPU clock speed when you're gaming?

What is the GPU clock speed when you're gaming?

I've left it at the same clock speed since I bought it, so it's always been +194Hz core clock, +116Mhz memory clock

1 minute ago, ELSknutson said:

does your card require power from your PSU or just your motherboard?

Just the motherboard

When you don't have other components to test with its hard to tell. Do you have any other graphics cards you could test, or a friend you could borrow one from to trouble shoot? You could try putting the card in another computer to see if it has the same issue.

Just now, 3DGamerOnSteam said:

When you don't have other components to test with its hard to tell. Do you have any other graphics cards you could test, or a friend you could borrow one from to trouble shoot? You could try putting the card in another computer to see if it has the same issue.

Unfortunately, I don't.

I might be able to scrounge for another computer to put the GPU in but they're all like 2003 PCs, and it would be hard to tell if it was being bottlenecked or having the same issue as my PC

Just now, Probably_Harry said:

Unfortunately, I don't.

I might be able to scrounge for another computer to put the GPU in but they're all like 2003 PCs, and it would be hard to tell if it was being bottlenecked or having the same issue as my PC

you can take the card down to a local PC shop and have them test it for you. 

1 minute ago, Probably_Harry said:

Unfortunately, I don't.

Then its really hard to tell. Most PCs if not all from 2003 use AGP graphics and don't even have pcie... It could be your card, it could be your motherboard.

you can take the card down to a local PC shop and have them test it for you. 

I live in a small town, so unfortunately the closest PC store is about 10 miles away

Then its really hard to tell. Most PCs if not all from 2003 use AGP graphics and don't even have pcie... It could be your card, it could be your motherboard.

Is there a way to tell if the motherboard is affecting the GPU or not?

The sketchiest component in my opinion in the PSU, purely because it doesn't properly clip onto the 24 pin on the motherboard. However, it's got ample wattage to run the PC and I believe the PC would shut down if the motherboard wasn't able to supply enough power

1 minute ago, Probably_Harry said:

Is there a way to tell if the motherboard is affecting the GPU or not?

The sketchiest component in my opinion in the PSU, purely because it doesn't properly clip onto the 24 pin on the motherboard. However, it's got ample wattage to run the PC and I believe the PC would shut down if the motherboard wasn't able to supply enough power

Doubt its voltage, but there are programs you can use to monitor voltage. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but someone will know of a good one.

Just now, 3DGamerOnSteam said:

Doubt its voltage, but there are programs you can use to monitor voltage. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but someone will know of a good one.

Okay, so I just loaded Besiege, a non-demanding game which I ran at 60fps without a hitch. Now, i'm getting 30fps, my GPU usage is at 100%, the power usage is at about 25%, and the temp is at about 35C

Do you have GeForce Experience installed? Are any of the games running with DSR? Have you tried windowed vs fullscreen?

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

Whats your CPU temp? Your Hyper 212 could be clogged up with dust making your CPU throttle. Before I switched to a AIO, i had to clean my tower cooler at least 4 times a year. In 5-6 months it would completely block all air flow.

If you cant get to another system to swap stuff out. Go get HWiNFO : http://www.hwinfo.com/ to monitor all your temps, frequencies, and voltages. Use your favorite stress test tools to test the GPU, CPU and Memory separately for each other to take out variables. I use FurMark : http://www.geeks3d.com/20150828/furmark-1-17-0-gpu-stress-test-opengl-benchmark/ for the GPU, Prime95 : http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/prime95.html for the CPU, and Memtest86 : http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm for the memory. OCCT its also good for all 3,  but some could argue its to hard on the computer. Start with the GPU, because that's where you think the problem is. First open up HWiNFO and run it in sensor only mode(there will be a popup). Find you GPU and duble click on the voltages, frequencies and temps for that card to open up their graphs. Start your stress test and let it run untill you see a graph jumping around (something is wrong with the card), or they all smooth out and stabilize(problems probable somewhere else). Run for a min of 10 minuets.  Do the same with the CPU and RAM. Post Screen shots of your graphs and someone will be able to tell you what is wrong.

I just took out my GPU to inspect, and I noticed a fair bit of dust. I cleaned out as much as I could and have just rebooted my PC. I'll take tekgeek1205's advice first and i'l  see where it goes from there

Make sure DSR isn't enabled.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

1 minute ago, Kryptyx said:

Make sure DSR isn't enabled.

I do have Geforce experience installed. I haven't got DSR enabled, and yes i have tried windows vs fullscreen - only a marginal difference

need to monitor the GPU Usage ingame with a program like MSI afterburner and make a new game on skyrim to see if the save file has to much loaded and try other games.