GTX 1070 vs GTX 980 ti

iPC

Which do you think will perform better? the GTX 1070 Founders Edition or the EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980 ti ?

1070 if nvidias marketing is to be believed, based on their numbers they were shooting for 2x performance which would outclass the 980ti if they actually achieved it, but we will have to wait for actual benchmarks before passing judgement.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

1070 if nvidias marketing is to be believed, based on their numbers they were shooting for 2x performance which would outclass the 980ti if they actually achieved it, but we will have to wait for actual benchmarks before passing judgement.

They never said 2x the performance of anything for the 1070

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

1 minute ago, afyeung said:

They never said 2x the performance of anything for the 1070

Right that was the 1080, either way we have to wait and see.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

From nvidia's benchmarks, the 1080 is about 20-25% faster than titan X, So I would expect the cut down version to be about the same as the 980 Ti, nvidia has said that the 1070 would be faster than titan X.

Which do I think will perform better? The 1070, since the 970 beat out the 780 ti by a little bit and this generation looks like a bigger jump.

Which will perform better? Sorry, I left my crystal ball in the car.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

10 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

^this

gonna wait for benchmarks to judge is the best answer

no need to worry that much, just relax and see that there might be less improvement than nvidias marketing wants us to believe

dont forget the last time nvidias marketing and "engineers" had communication-problems with the 970

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

Wait for the benchmarks. But if you can get the GTX 980ti for 300 bucks or so xD go for it. 

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler

A bit off topic, but I have a few questions. Does more VRAM mean better performance? I mean.. Will games in the future use more VRAM? And would that mean the current 2gig cards will perform poorly?

I don't believe their crappy advertising, it is all aimed at VR performance.

In reality the 1070 will most likely be slower, and the 1080 barely better. 

There is a benchmark leaked somewhere as well, lemme find it...

DirectX 12 Ashes Of The Singularity – 1440p Crazy Preset

graph_34-Copy.png?47662f

Source: http://www.mobipicker.com/nvidia-gtx-1080-directx-12-benchmarks-async-compute/

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

17 minutes ago, Mr.FATE said:

A bit off topic, but I have a few questions. Does more VRAM mean better performance? I mean.. Will games in the future use more VRAM? And would that mean the current 2gig cards will perform poorly?

more VRAM is important if you go for higher resolutions

like from fullhd (1080p) ~2mio pixels to 1440p ( 2560x1440 ~3,68mio pixels  or 3440x1440 ~5mio pixels)

and also some settings eat up the VRAM like loading higher quality graphics, more sight etc

many textures get loaded into the VRAM ;)

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

1 hour ago, Mr.FATE said:

Yes, it does impact performance, but really the VRAM is ancillary to the GPU. You shouldn't buy a card for the VRAM, you should buy it for the chipset and the VRAM will complement it.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Go look at there website, the 1070 will for sure be slower than the 980 Ti according to there "relative performance benchmarks" also the 2x performance was only in VR.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

1 hour ago, Bl00dgod said:

more VRAM is important if you go for higher resolutions

like from fullhd (1080p) ~2mio pixels to 1440p ( 2560x1440 ~3,68mio pixels  or 3440x1440 ~5mio pixels)

and also some settings eat up the VRAM like loading higher quality graphics, more sight etc

many textures get loaded into the VRAM ;)

13 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

Yes, it does impact performance, but really the VRAM is ancillary to the GPU. You shouldn't buy a card for the VRAM, you should buy it for the chipset and the VRAM will complement it.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Appreciate it :)

2GB isn't very good anymore in 2016, lots of games can use more than that. 6GB vs 8GB seems pretty meaningless unless you're trying to pull of 4k in an SLI system. 6GB is a ton of vram.

25 minutes ago, Fluffinator said:

Go look at there website, the 1070 will for sure be slower than the 980 Ti according to there "relative performance benchmarks" also the 2x performance was only in VR.

All they have said about the 1070's performance is better than Titan X.

20 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

All they have said about the 1070's performance is better than Titan X.

in VR, they even put up this benchmark on there website.

Q0vYsOV.png

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

2 hours ago, iPC said:

Which do you think will perform better? the GTX 1070 Founders Edition or the EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980 ti ?

The cards aren't even out yet.

It doesn't matter what we think either, because only benchmarks can tell the truth.

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell

2GB is too low. I think Shadow of Mordor, a game from 2014, already uses more than 4GB of VRAM on ultra

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell

2 hours ago, iPC said:

We have literally zero way of knowing at this point. Wait for GTX 1070 benchmarks.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

38 minutes ago, Fluffinator said:

in VR, they even put up this benchmark on there website.

Q0vYsOV.png

You're putting words in the CEO's mouth. I'm just saying what he said.

4 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

You're putting words in the CEO's mouth. I'm just saying what he said.

..... did you even watch the stream? This is literally on there website from Nvidia themselves, how can I put words in there mouth if this is there info....

1 minute ago, Fluffinator said:

..... did you even watch the stream? This is literally on there website from Nvidia themselves, how can I put words in there mouth if this is there info....

Yes I watched the stream, he said the 1070 is more powerful than the Titan X and then said nothing else about the 1070. I don't get the argument you're making with the graph either. Are you trying to argue that graph leaves no room for the 1070 to squeeze in? Because that graphic shows a 66% gain in performance for 1080 vs 980 in Witcher 3. The Titan X is about 30% faster than the 980 in that game.