What is Artifacting?

DGB

I've done some research but haven't really come to a good conclusion on what it is. based on what i have found, it seems that my GPU is artifacting. can anyone tell me what artifacting exactly is?

(sorry for the sounding-like-essay post)

Red (Soon to be Retired)CPU: FX-8350 Cooler: CM 212 Evo  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz Mobo: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 SSD: Kingston 128 GB (Boot), Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB (Main Games) HDD: WD Black 1 TB (Storage + Older Games) PSU: EVGA W1 500W Monitor: Dell ST2220l 21.5". Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Keyboard, Razer Deathadder Mouse, SteelSeries mosepad, 

They can be lines, little splotches of color, or VERY little white or green dots.

Post a picture of what's happening. Artifacting comes in many forms.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

Post a picture of what's happening. Artifacting comes in many forms.

It's hard to take a picture because when i think it is happening is in minecraft when i am moving and when i am still it doesn't happen almost at all and it only lasts less than a second

Red (Soon to be Retired)CPU: FX-8350 Cooler: CM 212 Evo  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz Mobo: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 SSD: Kingston 128 GB (Boot), Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB (Main Games) HDD: WD Black 1 TB (Storage + Older Games) PSU: EVGA W1 500W Monitor: Dell ST2220l 21.5". Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Keyboard, Razer Deathadder Mouse, SteelSeries mosepad, 

If it's only one game, might not be a issue with the card. Test other games and benchmark. See what happens.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Welp, there's tons of explanations for what artifacting is, but here's my 2 cents if you want it.

Broadly speaking, artifacting in any 3d application is essentially any unwanted or unusual rendering error or or display corruption which includes, but is not limited to:

-Stretched polygons (like the protruding models on the left side of the above image)

-Strange coloration/flashing

-Noise/snow (lots of that is spoken of when talking about overclocking)

-disappearing models

-"Rolling" flashes or colored orbs

In a lot of cases, some artifacting may come down to GPU driver bugs, or game/application bugs, others may be pinpointed to certain causes. Some more widely known causes/effects (some of which I've experienced) include:

-"Rolling" green or multi-colored pixels on a certain part of the screen - possible loose display connector

-Flashing red orbs/missing polygons - Marginally unstable GPU Core overclock or lack of voltage for said overclock

-White flashing "glare", elongated red flashes, or brief flashing changes in image coloration - Unstable GPU Memory overclock

Those are a couple among numerous examples. First and foremost, if it's limited to a singie application, it may be application specific. Additionally, if you've overclocked, depending on the type of corruption, you may need to back off on clocks, if you haven't overclocked, then there may be a hardware issue, which sometimes manifests itself as flashing green (or multi-colored) blocks, or even display crashes. It could be a failing GPU, faulty Memory module or degradation due to overheating.

Now if you don't quite know how to go about things, depending on some of the above you can start by Checking your cable connections, then moving on to going back to stock clock speeds on your GPU (Again, IF you've overclocked it), monitor your temps temps under a good gaming load for anything in the "worrying region" (90C+) and then move on to driver uninstallation/reinstallation, with an additional step to that being the shuffling back and forth between earlier and later releases. Again, if it's only in 1 game, and depending on the type of corruption, it might be driver/game specific, so don't go tearing down your computer just yet.

P.S. Apologies for the long-winded post, as you mentioned just minecraft, but in the event of corruption appearing anywhere else, *points up*

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

3 hours ago, DGB said:

It's hard to take a picture because when i think it is happening is in minecraft when i am moving and when i am still it doesn't happen almost at all and it only lasts less than a second

Are you thinking of screen tearing where the upper and lower parts of the screen are misaligned about a horizontal line? Screen tearing is normal and can be fixed by turning on V-sync in a games options.

68747470733a2f2f662e636c6f75642e67697468

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |