Windows 10 64-Bit Installing 32-Bit Applications

InTheAir

While I've been looking in the task manger to kill unhealthy applications, it's always pained to see a majority of applications run 32-Bit, especially the Nvidia back-end drivers. Just by looking at the task manager, current tasks like Nvidia Backend, Nvidia Network Service, all Apple applications, and 1Password run 32-Bit. The motherboard on my PC is terribly old, but Live Update 6 says I have the latest software installed besides Google things. And before I go, the part-list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Rqqc3C

Most of the applications I run are 32-Bit on my PC, despite it being 64-Bit.

4 minutes ago, InTheAir said:

Be glad most applications aren't 16bit.....anymore

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

42 minutes ago, InTheAir said:

Because most applications dont require the memory space of 64-Bit.

FYI In order to support 64-Bit memory allocation, it means you have to have another development stream which brings with it, its own headaches.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Well, looking back at the task manager even Firefox is 32-Bit. I'm pretty sure that many use cases will require more than 4 GiB of RAM with any browser.

1 hour ago, InTheAir said:

While I've been looking in the task manger to kill unhealthy applications, it's always pained to see a majority of applications run 32-Bit, especially the Nvidia back-end drivers. Just by looking at the task manager, current tasks like Nvidia Backend, Nvidia Network Service, all Apple applications, and 1Password run 32-Bit. The motherboard on my PC is terribly old, but Live Update 6 says I have the latest software installed besides Google things. And before I go, the part-list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Rqqc3C

Why would they need 64-bit? Do they need specialty new operation code for gaining a hint of performance increase, as they are doing super intensive task? No.

Do they need more memory? No, they are super light. Do they access specific 64-bit system files or directories? No.

So why 64-bit?

Since browsers are becoming more and more powerful, I'd believe that the companies that make them would want to prepare for the future. But seeing how the 32-Bit version is listed as the base version, I might see how I could've made the mistake earlier. Oh well, might as well make the upgrade now.

5 minutes ago, InTheAir said:

Since browsers are becoming more and more powerful, I'd believe that the companies that make them would want to prepare for the future. But seeing how the 32-Bit version is listed as the base version, I might see how I could've made the mistake earlier. Oh well, might as well make the upgrade now.

Edge is already in 64-bit if you have 64-bit Windows, but, to answer you:

It is mostly because of plug-in support, but Mozilla and Google announced that they will phase out plugins, as it was more problematic than anything. Edge already has no plugin support, beside built-in Flash (Google will probably keep Flash as exception, much like Edge).

You can find 64bit version of most heavy load software, like GIMP. But basic software will be 32bit for better compatibility over devices.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv