[Worklog] Fluorescence - CaseLabs SMA8 by 50mm Case Mods

50mm

9jQJop2.jpg

Welcome to my new project!

I've been planning and preparing this build since the beginning of this year and now i can finally start.

But first, i want to thank my sponsors:

ASUS ROG Deutschland
CaseLabs
Blacknoise
CoolForce / Nanoxia
Aquacomputer

G.Skill

Without you this project would not be possible!

Let's start with the components of this build:

Case:

CaseLabs SMA8 black

Hardware:

Intel i7 5820k
(MB tba)
(RAM tba)
2x GTX 1080 
Silverstone ST1000-G Evolution
2x WD Red 3TB
SSDs: Samsung, Crucial

Watercooling:

EK Supremacy Evo
(EK GPU Blocks)
2x EK XRES DDC incl. TUBE 250

Aquacomputer airplex 2/420 
Aquacomputer airplex modularity system 280
2x Aquacomputer airplex modularity system 280 incl. connector

Fittings by CoolForce / Nanoxia

Aquaero 6 PRO incl. passive cooler
2x Temperature Sensor

Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS
NoiseBlocker NB-BlackSilent Pro PK-PS

Other:

MDPC-X Sleeve

I will take over some aspects of my "white99" build, such as the linear tubing, two sLights, etc.
Nevertheless, everything will be completely different.

Now i want to show you some photos of the assembly of the SMA8.

cjFC9pC.jpg

ISMbcKH.jpg

SGE10zL.jpg

bZKsyB5.jpg

UJpjhXu.jpg

MDYn5mi.jpg

KRHeTFI.jpg

IslzVuO.jpg

vLRti65.jpg

rvLo20r.jpg

5hTa4jw.jpg

qRjZDRo.jpg

yuqgR6x.jpg

D3HYTGZ.jpg

43pmoSw.jpg

YLxePIx.jpg

jj5IIpU.jpg

gc1JYvk.jpg

rPv9ZrE.jpg

gQxgt0U.jpg

And of course some of the complete case

pdT66L6.jpg

GxHnCn5.jpg

muOpWuf.jpg

31CyUuo.jpg

bImsHbW.jpg

That's it for today, i need to work on some other things. I'm sorry i don't have more for you to show at the moment but I'll post some photos of the other components the next days.

Update

Yesterday 2 large packages arrived with lots of stuff. Most of it were watercooling parts

m2kiIwT.jpg

Let's start with the radiators. smileface.gif

rdbGF1J.jpg

I know.. these boys are more than enough, but i want to use the given space and bigger rads mean less noise bit-thumbsup.gif

Shqt1sT.jpg

At the top is the Aquacomputer airplex 2/420, below are the three airplex modularity system 280.
Two of them are connected via a bridge. Since there are no 560mm airplex rads this is the only solution. Unfortunately this results in a little gap between the middle fans and the radiator is longer than 560mm, but that shouldn't be a problem. 

g16MZqg.jpg

Back inside i started working on the Pump/Res Combos.

er9S8Yb.jpg

First: the easy part, changing the res tubes.

LlZ59LE.jpg

After that i disassembled the Laing DDC.

n8SZvWP.jpg

This is the thermal pad which comes with the metal housing.

PcOowyu.jpg

Putting everything together again.

nBqsHFa.jpg

done! Couldn't resist to fill it with some blue CoolForce liquid grin.gif

yC4Fk0Y.jpg

Since we'll have two loops we need two pump/res combos.

ScMKGmp.jpg

I won't use the blue in the finished build, it was just the only liquid i had at home at the moment. 

bit-dremel.gif

Looks so good

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

Are you planning to coat it in a  Fluorescence layer as i did mine? That would be cool with this case.

I'm glad you guys like it :)

1 hour ago, xiiijamaican said:

Are you planning to coat it in a  Fluorescence layer as i did mine? That would be cool with this case.

No nothing like that, but it's a cool idea. I'm going to make 2 sLights like in my "white99" again, but one of them or maybe both will be UV instead of white. This way i have a very cool UV lighting instead of just putting LED strips into the corners of the case. And of course UV Liquid ;)

Loving it, but why DDC pumps over D5 they are inferior in every way.

Damn it.

I always wanted to get a SMA8, but I doubt its cheap to ship it to Singapore and the case itself is not cheap either :(

Shame nvidia does not allow more than two 1080s cause that would have looked amazing. 

Good luck and I cant wait to see the final (amazing) product!

On 17.5.2016 at 2:41 AM, starwarsguy99 said:

Damn it.

I always wanted to get a SMA8, but I doubt its cheap to ship it to Singapore and the case itself is not cheap either :(

Shame nvidia does not allow more than two 1080s cause that would have looked amazing. 

Yeah, shipping is very expensive and don't forget the import fees :( But it's absolutely worth it!
For me 2 1080s will be enough, also the performance gain you get with 3 way sli just isn't worth the extra cost. Sure, a third one would look great :D

Thanks! I'm currently waiting for some other parts so i can start to work on the case.

On 5/17/2016 at 8:41 PM, starwarsguy99 said:

Damn it.

You can do more than 2 way sli with the 1080, but you have to get the unlock key from NVIDIA

Literally the ONLY case that will properly fit Airplex Modularities.

Enthoo Primo?  Forget it.

9 hours ago, xiiijamaican said:

You can do more than 2 way sli with the 1080, but you have to get the unlock key from NVIDIA

Yeah I saw that after I commented and felt quite stupid :/ 

Update

The U-Profiles which will be used as the frames of both sLights finally arrived. Since they were 1500mm long i had to cut them.

NfLfdp0.jpg

I love to take these photos :D

CBCk3Eh.jpg

After cutting i put the profiles into the case to check if they fit.. well, they didn't 

hmQtajf.jpg

PVA1NXU.jpg

Dremel time! 

q1nlB9v.jpg

8OYFXlX.jpg

iRG5hqz.jpg

After sanding the edges the profiles now fit perfectly. Next step is to drill holes so i can attach them to the case. When this is done i'm going to send them to my friend @nubcustoms.com who will powdercoat it.

6GzFxIV.jpg

I also received two other packages from my sponsors.
The first one is from Blacknoise / Noiseblocker who sent me a lot of fans.
The NB-BlackSilentPro will be used in the bottom part of the case where the GPU loop radiators are. The NB-eLoop are going to be used as case fans and the CPU radiator in the top.

BwZFzIc.jpg

AdCKoY4.jpg

j4Mksmb.jpg

RwxbFcb.jpg

The other one comes from ASUS and contains something special. 
The new ROG X99 Strix Gaming B|

PfvaPow.jpg

r2IZsa7.jpg

H8rjpy0.jpg

XC9VA2c.jpg

A big thanks!
I already swapped the orange Strix/ROG Stickers with the silver ones and i really love the all black look. 
Can't wait to boot it up for the first time.

So, this is how it looks right now. Acrylic will be ordered next week.

HkU7f1m.jpg

• 1 month later...

Update

Finally found some time to update my worklogs. It's been some stressful weeks since i had to work on different projects and the deadline on both ended last week. I also had exams so there was no extra time to keep my worklogs up to date. I hope you all understand.

But let's start where i ended last time, the sLights. The U-profiles came back from powder coating so i compared them to the rest of the case. Still a little difference but nearly unnoticeable.

6t110xU.jpg

0TU6ExQ.jpg

For the different layers of the sLights i'm using three kinds of acrylic. The first one is the PLEXIGLAS® LED (truLED) Weiss WH14 GT 3mm. This ist the top one which will be visible later.
Right underneath comes the PLEXIGLAS® LED (EndLighten T) Farblos 0E012 XL 8mm. This is used to direct the light coming from the LED Strips up and down through the other plates. The last one is not really necessary. It's just PLEXIGLAS® GS (allround) Farblos 0F00 GT 4mm to fill the space between the U-profiles. I also put chrome foil onto it so it reflects the incoming light even better. 

H5OebaE.jpg

Wohb7qn.jpg

xxPIDVP.jpg

GeGLJEh.jpg

uZJsRCE.jpg

KGjlK1S.jpg

Since the plates are ready i went to the profiles to install the LED Strips. But first i had to cut 3mm acrylic stripes which will be used as standoff and hold everything in place. I drilled holes and painted them black to prevent light bleeding.

zuwPCXo.jpg

esOlJIE.jpg

Time to prepare the LED strips, starting with the UV LEDs for the bottom sLight. This is pretty simple, cut the strips, solder cables to it and of course sleeve them, even if you won't see them.

LSW42fh.jpg

4YFPrX4.jpg

JpPT5RT.jpg

oO3VVs6.jpg

Everything ready, time to install both sLights!
This was a pain in the a**, had to disassemble the case and the help of my brother to put these acrylic sandwiches together.

8iNAQdr.jpg

9fRaAsq.jpg

uo6kXfQ.jpg

A little view from the inside:

4ocO6Lw.jpg

And outside:

BVTIOkq.jpg

As you can see i left a little space above the upper sLight frame. I did this on purpose since you won't see the gap once you install the side window panel. This gap helped me to leak test the CPU radiator in the top when i filled the loop.

And since this was my very first UV sLight i want to show you how it looks. Really hard to take a photo of it, this seems to be pretty close to what it looks in real life. 

9XbshDW.jpg

sLights: Done!
Next: GPUs and Watercooling Part 1

Update

On 17.7.2016 at 10:46 AM, NaLu said:

Well.... SPLENDID :o

On 17.7.2016 at 11:04 AM, Crowned01 said:

Wow! Truly stunning.

Thanks Guys!

To start with the watercooling i had to wait for the last parts of hardware to arrive. I'm talking about the GPUs which were kindly supported by ASUS. 

cw8HEnQ.jpg

j6ZDaK9.jpg

BONOmhr.jpg

I'm so in love with the new Strix cooler and the RGB features, but we want to keep them cool, right?
Time to put some fancy waterblocks onto them.

aSkmcSA.jpg

3XyiNpM.jpg

Looks massive compared to the FE PCB.

JNZVxvh.jpg

c1UuBM7.jpg

lYxkSvW.jpg

I like what EK did there, they just put Strix on the block and the backplate so you can install these on your Strix 1070 without a disruptive "1080" on your watercooling parts.

Looks amazing!

JPKKUWk.jpg

Let's go back to the case and start preparing the loop.

With the reservoirs mounted to the mounting plate i wanted to show the tubing go down and then through the middle plate. I also could've just turn the res/pumps 180° and

make the tubing "invisible" but this would be to easy, right? ;)

First thing was to measure where the pass through fittings are going to sit.

nxz8U15.jpg

Then i took a countersink and a step drill to make the holes big enough for the fittings. (20mm diameter)

fGklhUV.jpg

9yU1kMX.jpg

Since i wanted to keep the CPU and GPU tubing horizontal i needed another pass through. These fittings will be attached to the res mounting plate. So i had to make a big

whole into the middle plate.

PHc1Lm5.jpg

3Y9koSM.jpg

It took some time and the multitool got pretty hot but after some cool down pauses i managed to get a pretty clean hole. Of course not clean enough, still had to sand the

edges.

OuqWXeA.jpg

HxbuJ5c.jpg

eU6D9Da.jpg

P707QLt.jpg

And to end this update i took a little photo with some of the hardware already installed.

gwhw2f4.jpg

Update

First of all i want to show the new black/white TridentZ RAM kindly provided by G.Skill. I'm really happy i was able to use these since they match the Strix board perfectly.

bI9nOWu.jpg

So, this is where we stopped last time:

mjWidF1.jpg

To begin with the loop i had to measure the exact positions for the pass through fittings.

Since i didn't want to waste the acrylic tubing i used PETG.

o7P1vTZ.jpg

mlFVTjW.jpg

The pass through fittings will be attached to the res mount plate.

dIY3KGR.jpg

rfW6l6F.jpg

First i drill small holes and use the step drill afterwards.

7fwsyJv.jpg

Ni4R25F.jpg

lRPhZMy.jpg

Last thing before we finish the res mount are the pump/res combos.

Of course these cables must be sleeved.

b1noYkE.jpg

hUSFMjk.jpg

XZKJj2b.jpg

The pass through fittings are attached and the res mount is ready.

3zjFqsr.jpg

KLJc25I.jpg

uLG5jDv.jpg

So let's move on the next part, the tubing!

After measuring out every single tube i replicated every single one of them in acrylic.

This is all the hard tubing i'm going to use in this build.

5cALtOr.jpg

At this point the photos are a little bit out of focus, i was really tired after 3 hours sleep.

Also, please don't mind the SLI bridge, i just used it to keep both cards in place.

This is the one i used in my "Reinforced" build.

zgwQMni.jpg

And after a few minutes the hard tubing part of the loop was completed.

gOl7pzk.jpg

At this point all i wanted to do was fill these loops :D

But i still had to move to the back and finish the rest of the loops.

I use soft tubing to be more flexible when installing radiators etc. and you won't see it anyway.

S4OzSKz.jpg

This is the temperature sensor for the CPU loop.

eBDjJoC.jpg

NQfqi78.jpg

CPU loop complete!

1yBjR66.jpg

Time to fill it up!

Oa1vHka.jpg

When running @ full power, the DDC are insane, look at the water level.

bk79V6n.jpg

The result of the leak test: 100% leak-proof!

6lZqS7I.jpg

The next update will take a few days since i had to remove one of the graphics cards. I'll try to post it asap.

WOW. Looks so amazing. Have you ever heard of Singularity Computers Ethereal Single V2 Reservoir mount, you may like them, they look a lot better then the stock mounts.

There is a great sale on atm where you can get four of the Singularity Computers Ethereal Single V2 Reservoir Mounts for less than $120 USD. Trust me they look so great I highly recommend that you at least look them up. They are carved from a solid piece of alloy and you can choose between a Gold, Silver, Black, Blue, Purple, Orange, Red, Green anodize finish.

Sweet build but maby replace those plastic mounts with some

Singularity Computers Ethereal Single V2 Reservoir Mounts 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

Amazing build so far man. Your color scheme is 100%. Everything I want In a build some day