Pascal supports DP 1.4 !?!

Did anyone else think this was one of the more exciting features?  I was expecting DP 1.3 and was blown away at the announcement of 1.4.

This means we might start to see monitors with 4k 120hz.  It also means 4k, high refresh, HDR is possible!  OLED here we come!

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

18 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

This means we might start to see monitors with 4k 120hz.  It also means 4k, high refresh, HDR is possible!  OLED here we come!

Display Port 1.3 supports this as well...

source:amd

RTG_Page_34-635x357.jpg

8 minutes ago, App4that said:

Yep, or 8k at 60hz

no, that's not how it works

and yes I was totally blown away by that too, I mean how's that even possible if the standard for DP 1.4 was finalized and published not three months ago - I mean is that another "this was a miscommunication between our marketing department and engineers"?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

to this day there is no display controller to handle that and hdr has a long way to go too. but the implementation will hopefully make adoption faster. but for now its just something you cant use.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

5 minutes ago, DXMember said:

no, that's not how it works

Go to 12:30

If anyone asks you never saw me.

6 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

to this day there is no display controller to handle that and hdr has a long way to go too. but the implementation will hopefully make adoption faster. but for now its just something you cant use.

Yes but Pascal puts us one big step closer!  

7 minutes ago, Sky Daddy said:

Display Port 1.3 supports this as well...

source:amd

RTG_Page_34-635x357.jpg

Yes but DP 1.4 can do 4k HDR at 120 hz.  This is from VESA's press release:

DP 1.4 further builds on the capabilities of the standard’s prior incarnations. The use of video transport compression enhances the ability to take advantage of the USB Type-C connector, enabling both high-definition video and SuperSpeed USB, while also facilitating High Dynamic Range (HDR) and 8K video across the DisplayPort or USB-C connector. Examples of increased display resolution with the new standard include 8Kp60Hz HDR deep color and 4Kp120Hz HDR deep color

Did you catch that?  DP 1.4 can run off a USB-C connector!  

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Just now, CostcoSamples said:

so nvidia just wanted a higher number than 1.4? :D 

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

1 hour ago, CostcoSamples said:

Yes but Pascal puts us one big step closer!  

Yes but DP 1.4 can do 4k HDR at 120 hz.  This is from VESA's press release:

DP 1.4 further builds on the capabilities of the standard’s prior incarnations. The use of video transport compression enhances the ability to take advantage of the USB Type-C connector, enabling both high-definition video and SuperSpeed USB, while also facilitating High Dynamic Range (HDR) and 8K video across the DisplayPort or USB-C connector. Examples of increased display resolution with the new standard include 8Kp60Hz HDR deep color and 4Kp120Hz HDR deep color

who cares about that

give me a 3440x1440 freesync hdr curved 144hz monitor and it'll be the last monitor i ever buy

3 hours ago, App4that said:

Go to 12:30

I don't think he knows what he's talking about

the standard doesn't allow for enough bandwidth to do 8K at 60

EDIT: Umm... my bad I though DP 1.4 had the same bandwidth as 1.3, apparently not. Well that's what you get for using a standard that's only two full months old - a hell of a lot of confusion, I still can't believe they pulled it off...

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

Here, I'll quote WCCF and make this a party LOL.

http://wccftech.com/vesa-display-port-1-4-8k-60-hz-4k-120-hz/

Or Guru

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/vesa-releases-displayport-1-4-spec-allowing-8kp60hz.html

but lets end with Tweek

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/50819/vesa-announce-displayport-1-4-handles-8k-60fps-4k-120hz-hdr/index.html

If anyone asks you never saw me.

3 hours ago, CostcoSamples said:

Ha! you can't - cuz there no devicis

1 hour ago, DXMember said:

EDIT: Umm... my bad I though DP 1.4 had the same bandwidth as 1.3, apparently not. Well that's what you get for using a standard that's only two full months old - a hell of a lot of confusion, I still can't believe they pulled it off...

It does, they have the exact same bandwidth. The difference is that DP 1.4 introduces a type of compression that can be used.