What is the perceptible difference between different kinds of displays?

Go to solution Solved by Xaring,
13 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

A 144hz monitor with adaptive sync, 4k resolution, <1ms input latency, Display Port 1.4 connection (only), with a IPS panel would be the IDEAL monitor.

If you're not looking for a competitive edge then just spend the money that your budget allows for and you'll be golden.

4k 144hz? and what are you using to move it? 3 way 1080 SLI?

OP: Your ideal monitor will very depending on what you want, I would not recommend 60hz Gsync, as you wont be getting that many benefits from it (you will only benefit if running between 40-59 FPS (as the game will feel smoother even if you are not getting 60 FPS and less than 40 FPS really is noticeable while playing) or 61+ fps, as the screen tearing will disappear. 

A 75 or 90hz Gsync panel is much better as you will benefit from the gsync capabilities while playing beween 40 to 75/90 fps or 76+/91+.

If you have a plain 60hz monitor and you can run all your games at 60 all the time, then just turn on vertical sync on the game options to reduce screen tearing (you would only want to have vsync off while playing FPS games suck as CSGO, as you can still FEEL a difference between 60 to 300 FPS even if you only SEE 60 of them)

Edit: jsut to clarify, the Gsync price plus is not worth at 60Hz IMO, as 60 FPS is an asequible perddformance and you shouldnt ever play at less than 60FPS IMO.

As someone finally moving away from console gaming at 30fps on a run of the mill 120hz LED TV i am asking what the difference is between the following:

120hz LED TV

144hz Gaming Monitor

60hz Monitor

60hz Monitor w/Gsync

Assuming that the goal of the monitor is to display a game running at ~60fps i'm asking what the noticeable difference i would see is between the devices. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from the resources i've seen it seems as though 60hz monitor w/Gsync would be ideal, but as i said i wonder what the difference that i'd see would be, and more importantly is the difference worth the price jump. I'm looking at this as someone who is an avid player of video games and enjoys playing games such as FPS's, but i am definitely not looking for a competitive edge, just the ideal gaming experience.

6 minutes ago, sr_Canoodler said:

As someone finally moving away from console gaming at 30fps on a run of the mill 120hz LED TV i am asking what the difference is between the following:

120hz LED TV

144hz Gaming Monitor

60hz Monitor

60hz Monitor w/Gsync

Assuming that the goal of the monitor is to display a game running at ~60fps i'm asking what the noticeable difference i would see is between the devices. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from the resources i've seen it seems as though 60hz monitor w/Gsync would be ideal, but as i said i wonder what the difference that i'd see would be, and more importantly is the difference worth the price jump. I'm looking at this as someone who is an avid player of video games and enjoys playing games such as FPS's, but i am definitely not looking for a competitive edge, just the ideal gaming experience.

A 144hz monitor with adaptive sync, 4k resolution, <1ms input latency, Display Port 1.4 connection (only), with a IPS panel would be the IDEAL monitor.

If you're not looking for a competitive edge then just spend the money that your budget allows for and you'll be golden.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

The 120Hz TVs usually have a technology that shows a black image between each frame, so you really only see 60 game frames, but it makes the image sharper, no real benefit, this only helps when watching videos(like while watching the TV). The other posibility is that it is a 3D tv, so it would really be a 1520 frames per second. You should check the TV manufacturer to be sure.

A 144hz monitor will show 144 frames per second, no tricks here, just high frame rate.

60hz plain monitor shows 60FPS. Screen tearing is a thing (if you have more or less than 60fps in game, you might see 2 different frames at the same time, the newest one and the previous one, as the memory in the screen is half-written when it shows the image onscreen.

60hz Gsync monitor, shows 60 frames, but also has Gsync to help your GPU send the frames only when the screen is ready to display them, reducing screen tearing and making a generally better gaming experience with lower frame rates.

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

13 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

4k 144hz? and what are you using to move it? 3 way 1080 SLI?

OP: Your ideal monitor will very depending on what you want, I would not recommend 60hz Gsync, as you wont be getting that many benefits from it (you will only benefit if running between 40-59 FPS (as the game will feel smoother even if you are not getting 60 FPS and less than 40 FPS really is noticeable while playing) or 61+ fps, as the screen tearing will disappear. 

A 75 or 90hz Gsync panel is much better as you will benefit from the gsync capabilities while playing beween 40 to 75/90 fps or 76+/91+.

If you have a plain 60hz monitor and you can run all your games at 60 all the time, then just turn on vertical sync on the game options to reduce screen tearing (you would only want to have vsync off while playing FPS games suck as CSGO, as you can still FEEL a difference between 60 to 300 FPS even if you only SEE 60 of them)

Edit: jsut to clarify, the Gsync price plus is not worth at 60Hz IMO, as 60 FPS is an asequible perddformance and you shouldnt ever play at less than 60FPS IMO.

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

Okay, this definitely makes sense now. I didn't know about the black frame that LED TVs output, which always confused me when i would see pc players say 60hz is all you need. But the way you've explained that and the other differences has definitely helped me understand, thank you. Now i just have to pick one.

2 minutes ago, sr_Canoodler said:

Okay, this definitely makes sense now. I didn't know about the black frame that LED TVs output, which always confused me when i would see pc players say 60hz is all you need. But the way you've explained that and the other differences has definitely helped me understand, thank you. Now i just have to pick one.

nah 60 fps is not "enough", i mean its better than 30, but VR standard is 90, and pro players dont want anything less tha 120/144

so the would like 75-100hz, be a good spot to shoot for then?

Depends what you want.

The thing with monitor technology is there is quite drastic price differences between them all. So your entry level:

- 1080P. 27 inch. VA/IPS Panel - 60h/z. Now this will likely still be a very good screen and do everything you need. Also affordable. No real 'fancy' technology but you're paying big price increases for the improvements. -$200

- 1080P 27 inch. TN Panel - 144hz. You're likely paying over twice as much as the monitor above. You can see 144fps on the screen vs 60fps. This is definitely noticeable but is it worth over twice the cost? $400-450

- 1080P 27 inch Gsync TN 144hz. Adds the nVidia variable refresh rate stuff which does have an affect, but the price has also gone up quite a lot too $500-550.

-1440P 27 inch G sync TN 144hz. Higher resolution with all the rest - $600-650.

etc etc. 

Now the list keeps increasing. The question you have to ask yourself is if buying the third panel over the fist panel you're starting to pay huge differences in price. For instance you can probably buy 3 (or more) of the first monitor for what you're paying for the third and especially when comparing entry level 1080P IPS panels to the high end gaming TN panels for most of what you do the monitor quality is actually worse, as IPS screens nearly always look nicer than TN panels which have horrible viewing angles, especially on multiple screen setups.

My advice is if you're getting into PC gaming just get a nice 1080P 60hz IPS panel with the size you're happy with. If at some later point you find spending all that extra money on something only marginally better is worth it for you then you can always just add another screen to your rig and keep the first.