Can Linux run emulators

So right now I'm looking into my pi emulation set up. But for the mean time can a Linux rum emulators let's say GameCube, and N64

and what is the best Linux variant(idk what they call them) to run them on

Gamecube emulator on a pi.. lol no...

SNES, Geneis, NES, etc. Sure :D

I think it's called Linux Distros.

BTW Ubuntu is the best, just go for 12.04 LTS or 14.04 LTS, since 16.04 LTS has some issues (it's quite buggy).

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

GameCube - Dolphin Emulator

N64 - Mupen64Plus

Don't think you'll get them working on Raspberry Pi though.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

7 minutes ago, Fulgrim said:

GameCube - Dolphin Emulator

N64 - Mupen64Plus

Don't think you'll get them working on Raspberry Pi though.

Yeah for the pi I think it has some stuff you get off the pi website for that idk I'll looking into when all of my pi's get here

1 hour ago, Djole123 said:

I think it's called Linux Distros.

BTW Ubuntu is the best, just go for 12.04 LTS or 14.04 LTS, since 16.04 LTS has some issues (it's quite buggy).

What shit are you on? He's talking about game emulators xD and 12.04 is a bit of a stretch either way. I know it's still supported, but only for another year, plus holy god everything must be out of date.

I really don't know anything about emulators, I just had to comment on this lol.

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

33 minutes ago, steezemageeze said:

What shit are you on? He's talking about game emulators xD and 12.04 is a bit of a stretch either way. I know it's still supported, but only for another year, plus holy god everything must be out of date.

I really don't know anything about emulators, I just had to comment on this lol.

i was asking if linux can run them, i didnt know becase they cant run a lot of games and stuff so idk, i also asked for the best linux os thing (distros i guess) for running them

1 minute ago, GreezyJeezy said:

i was asking if linux can run them, i didnt know becase they cant run a lot of games and stuff so idk, i also asked for the best linux os thing (distros i guess) for running them

Guess I missed that part. Any distros should really be equal. But you're on a Pi? I really don't know about those either. I think there's a distro meant specifically for emulators, but I'm not sure about that.

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

8 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

Which version of the Pi do you have? The newest ones are obviously better as they have more CPU horsepower, RAM and generally faster. But really any of them should be fine, as people have been doing this for a while with the Pi. Some emulators work better than others on a Raspberry Pi, and some ROM's work better with certain emulators. It takes some time to figure out the best combination. Check this site out for a lot more information: https://retropie.org.uk 

You can get generic USB NES, SNES and other legacy controllers for stupidly cheap on Amazon. My friend has his Pi setup with several emulators and he's narrowed down his list of ROM's to the ones that actually work and it's awesome.

3 minutes ago, steezemageeze said:

Guess I missed that part. Any distros should really be equal. But you're on a Pi? I really don't know about those either. I think there's a distro meant specifically for emulators, but I'm not sure about that.

yeah im pretty sure the pi has its own thing for emulators, i just want to set up my laptop as my emulator station right now. i ordered 16 pi 3's but i think ill only use like 6-8 for the emulator, might set up the rest as a media station for each room i have with a tv 

If you want to use your Pi as a tiny retrogaming console, go for Emulation Station, which allows you to run any game for all consoles until the n64/psx era, although not always with flawless results. For some reason, Emulation Station also includes a Dreamcast emulator, although I doubt it'll run ANYTHING at acceptable speeds. 

On 5/9/2016 at 6:50 PM, GreezyJeezy said:

yeah im pretty sure the pi has its own thing for emulators, i just want to set up my laptop as my emulator station right now. i ordered 16 pi 3's but i think ill only use like 6-8 for the emulator, might set up the rest as a media station for each room i have with a tv 

Wait, 6-8 individual emulators; or some how linking 6-8 of them together for one super-Pi emulator? If it's the former, just get one setup, then you can copy that disk image to a bunch of SD cards and then you're done. The latter, I don't think it's really possible, nor even necessary. If you use Plex already, check out RasPlex for an easy, network-connected streaming build for the Pi.

1 minute ago, Omon_Ra said:

Wait, 6-8 individual emulators; or some how linking 6-8 of them together for one super-Pi emulator? If it's the former, just get one setup, then you can copy that disk image to a bunch of SD cards and then you're done. The latter, I don't think it's really possible, nor even necessary. If you use Plex already, check out RasPlex for an easy, network-connected streaming build for the Pi.

I think he means using them with different TVs.

1 hour ago, Omon_Ra said:

Each individually so when I have people over we can all play like we do with out having my friends bring there systems over because I don't want to buy consoles 

What?! No, you can run multiple emulators on the same Pi using Emulation station, no need to use one for each emu! 

2 minutes ago, Lehti said:

What?! No, you can run multiple emulators on the same Pi using Emulation station, no need to use one for each emu! 

Yes because we want 10 plus people playing 4 different emulators looking on the same screen and idk how you'd use a keyboard and mouse to do that. Plus I already ordered 16 pi's then I'll need to find some small monitored and get like 8 of them. Using 1 pi for it all is not an option.

2 hours ago, GreezyJeezy said:

Yes because we want 10 plus people playing 4 different emulators looking on the same screen and idk how you'd use a keyboard and mouse to do that. Plus I already ordered 16 pi's then I'll need to find some small monitored and get like 8 of them. Using 1 pi for it all is not an option.

I'm still confused. How are you going to have 4 different emulators on one screen?

1 minute ago, Omon_Ra said:

I'm still confused. How are you going to have 4 different emulators on one screen?

it wont be 1 screen

15 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

it wont be 1 screen

Oookay. It sounds freakin' awesome, whatever you're up to. Basically an in-home arcade of retro gaming machines?

3 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

Oookay. It sounds freakin' awesome, whatever you're up to. Basically an in-home arcade of retro gaming machines?

yeah pretty much, a few times a month me and some buddies come to my house and just reto game they bring over their NES, SNES. GameCube, N64, dreamcast and i have the PS1 and we just game and since its one of each we just take turns or play like smash bros and its a really fun time. 

i think by making this it will just make it easier and not get the cords all tangled up and have to spend an hour untangling it before they can go home xD

7 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

yeah pretty much, a few times a month me and some buddies come to my house and just reto game they bring over their NES, SNES. GameCube, N64, dreamcast and i have the PS1 and we just game and since its one of each we just take turns or play like smash bros and its a really fun time. 

i think by making this it will just make it easier and not get the cords all tangled up and have to spend an hour untangling it before they can go home xD

Yerp. Generic USB controllers (you can get NES, SNES, N64 and others) generally have longer cords as well. And they're pretty damn cheap.

5 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

Yerp. Generic USB controllers (you can get NES, SNES, N64 and others) generally have longer cords as well. And they're pretty damn cheap.

i just dropped $600 on pi's xD and i still need the case printed, monitors and controllers xD oh my hobbies will end up killing my wallet