Oculus Rift vs HTC Vive

I'm going to get one of these devices and i am not sure which one to order. I have not been following anything VR related as i figured it was just some gimmick thing like 3D movies, but i got a Gear VR with my S7 Edge and i was blown away with how incredible the experience was with just a phone powered 99 dollar VR machine. The price difference between the two is insignificant and i would end up buying the motion controllers for the Rift anyway and the Vive just comes with them. Are either of these devices looking better than the other or either looking to have a better or bigger catalog of games? I'm at a loss on which to order, so any input would be awesome, thanks. 

StarVR

OSVR

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

I would wait if I was you, the order and shipping times are far off right now so by the time you get one the other one may be better :-/

I have an Oculus on the way because i see it as much more user friendly and comfortable witch I think will be important in the long term

I see the vive as a great teck demo and something awesome to show off to your friends but if you do not have the room, then that would take away from the experience.

20 minutes ago, ixiboneheadixi said:

I'm going to get one of these devices and i am not sure which one to order. I have not been following anything VR related as i figured it was just some gimmick thing like 3D movies, but i got a Gear VR with my S7 Edge and i was blown away with how incredible the experience was with just a phone powered 99 dollar VR machine. The price difference between the two is insignificant and i would end up buying the motion controllers for the Rift anyway and the Vive just comes with them. Are either of these devices looking better than the other or either looking to have a better or bigger catalog of games? I'm at a loss on which to order, so any input would be awesome, thanks. 

Strictly speaking, Vive can do everything Oculus Rift can and the room tracking too, which should make it a bit better than the Rift. However Rift is the one currently pumping the money to devs to develop games for it, so right now Rift have more actual games compare to Vive. Vive on the other hand is backed by Valve so we can expected great games to come to it sooner or later, and there's already project that ported Rift game to Vive. So IMO, go with Vive.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

13 minutes ago, LTD3000 said:

I would wait if I was you, the order and shipping times are far off right now so by the time you get one the other one may be better :-/

I have an Oculus on the way because i see it as much more user friendly and comfortable witch I think will be important in the long term

I see the vive as a great teck demo and something awesome to show off to your friends but if you do not have the room, then that would take away from the experience.

Yeah i will probably wait until they get released and see people's impressions on both.

3 minutes ago, Megazero said:

Strictly speaking, Vive can do everything Oculus Rift can and the room tracking too, which should make it a bit better than the Rift. However Rift is the one currently pumping the money to devs to develop games for it, so right now Rift have more actual games compare to Vive. Vive on the other hand is backed by Valve so we can expected great games to come to it sooner or later, and there's already project that ported Rift game to Vive. So IMO, go with Vive.

what exactly is the room tracking? 

2 minutes ago, Megazero said:

although rift games on vive is kind of a hack (which is great btw) but oculus could try and stop that any time. so be careful about bassing your design on that

Just now, ixiboneheadixi said:

what exactly is the room tracking? 

The 2-cameras-in-room-corner-that-track-your-movement-thingy. Vive have 2 camera that you should set at 2 corner of your room, it will "see" everything in the room so if you move inside your room you also move in VR too. Kinda like Kinect but better. It also show outline of furniture/walls of the room so you wont ran into them while playing VR games, though quite a few people still ran into the wall.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

1 minute ago, Megazero said:

The 2-cameras-in-room-corner-that-track-your-movement-thingy. Vive have 2 camera that you should set at 2 corner of your room, it will "see" everything in the room so if you move inside your room you also move in VR too. Kinda like Kinect but better. It also show outline of furniture/walls of the room so you wont ran into them while playing VR games, though quite a few people still ran into the wall.

Awesome, I hope Best Buy or something ends up having a demo on display for people to try, it just seems like a gimmick kind of thing until you actually try VR for the first time. the room tracking seems cool, i just wheel my chair around my office though so i wont exactly 'run' into a wall. 

2 minutes ago, ixiboneheadixi said:

Awesome, I hope Best Buy or something ends up having a demo on display for people to try, it just seems like a gimmick kind of thing until you actually try VR for the first time. the room tracking seems cool, i just wheel my chair around my office though so i wont exactly 'run' into a wall. 

In case of horror games... well...

http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/a8MO2jV_460sv.mp4

Too good. My girlfriend's family was down and tried my Gear VR and played the ocean game and they jumped and screamed when the saw a shark and stuff, quite funny.

There's also some report case of people breaking the Vive's controller because they slam it in a wall/celling in a game that require jumping. It feel like the Wii and Kinect problem combine into one LOL

to be honest i would wait for next generation. i think they are going to be better ones quite soon. 

but i have heard that the controllers on the htc vive are better. 

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Just now, Megazero said:

There's also some report case of people breaking the Vive's controller because they slam it in a wall/celling in a game that require jumping. It feel like the Wii and Kinect problem combine into one LOL

Yeah, there is also the fact some people just are not careful with things.

Just now, ChrisCross said:

to be honest i would wait for next generation. i think they are going to be better ones quite soon. 

but i have heard that the controllers on the htc vive are better. 

I mean they aren't crazy expensive so I'll just buy the next generation too, and possibly sell the old one when that time comes, but probably not, i hoard electronics LOL.

18 minutes ago, ixiboneheadixi said:

I mean they aren't crazy expensive so I'll just buy the next generation too, and possibly sell the old one when that time comes, but probably not, i hoard electronics LOL.

yeah for a college student like me its a lot of money :D

but if your willing to buy next gen too i would do it. 

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

1 minute ago, ChrisCross said:

yeah for a college student like me its a lot of money :D

but if your willing to buy next gen too i would do it. 

Yeah I mean its not nothing to me, but it's not going to break the bank either for me. Plus It will probably retain it's value somewhat well as i don't think the market is going to be flooded with used VR devices, so i can always sell it and get a decent portion of my money back when the next gen comes out. 

Played with both a few times

Vive is the winner so far

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 minute ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Played with both a few times

Vive is the winner so far

Anything particular stand out about it, or anything fell short with the Rift, or was it just a better experience overall(just more polished, etc).

Anything particular stand out about it, or anything fell short with the Rift, or was it just a better experience overall(just more polished, etc).

The whole room tracking and motion controllers work REALLY well, also I found the display itself superior (admittedly i only used a DK2 not a CV version of oculus)

But yeah, i found Vive more immersive, more polished and overall a better experience, plus it all just comes in the box ready to go and is really well implemented

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 minute ago, ShadowCaptain said:

The whole room tracking and motion controllers work REALLY well, also I found the display itself superior (admittedly i only used a DK2 not a CV version of oculus)

But yeah, i found Vive more immersive, more polished and overall a better experience, plus it all just comes in the box ready to go and is really well implemented

Vive is where i was already leaning, ill probably just go and see what the game catalogs are like closer to ship date and then decide for sure then. 

6 minutes ago, ixiboneheadixi said:

Vive is where i was already leaning, ill probably just go and see what the game catalogs are like closer to ship date and then decide for sure then. 

game catalogues are the issue and will be for a while, as everyone will be jumping on the bandwagon and just making and old shit to sling as VR

Hopefully some properly developed AAA titles will come

I will say, the "sit down" with vr headset when I tried Oculus with Alien Isolation was still extremely compelling, and just using it as an "immersive 3d" head display is good enough for me without all the motion stuff

I am hoping for "BOTH" types of experiences 

I guess a big factor to this is when and if Oculus is going to release the touch controllers and whether that brings with it the possibility of room scale.

and I still think you should not disregard the comfort and easy of use factors.

Just now, LTD3000 said:

I guess a big factor to this is when and if Oculus is going to release the touch controllers and whether that brings with it the possibility of room scale.

and I still think you should not disregard the comfort and easy of use factors.

Well comfort is subjective so i will try to use and test both, but explain the ease of use, what improvements does the rift have over the vive to add to ease of use,