Asus z97-p 2 GPUS

msvelev
Go to solution Solved by Imakuni,
7 hours ago, msvelev said:

Hi everyone,

I have an Asus Z97-P motherboard and a gtx 970 in the PCIE 3.0 x16 slot. I use the PC almost exclusively for folding and I want to add another card (not in SLI).

The other slot is a PCIE 2.0 x16. If I move my 970 to it and put let's say a 1070 in the 3.0 slot, will I get optimal performance from both cards?

Thanks!

Actually, your "2.0 x16" only runs at x2.

It's hard to precise how much performance you'd lose on Folding, due to the lack of testing on newer apps and architectures. But, there have been reports of huge performance hits on a 970 running at 2.0 x2, so I'd expect yours to take a big hit as well.

Hi everyone,

I have an Asus Z97-P motherboard and a gtx 970 in the PCIE 3.0 x16 slot. I use the PC almost exclusively for folding and I want to add another card (not in SLI).

The other slot is a PCIE 2.0 x16. If I move my 970 to it and put let's say a 1070 in the 3.0 slot, will I get optimal performance from both cards?

Thanks!

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600 | GPU: Gigabite GTX 1660 super | Motherboard: MSI Mortar MAX | RAM: G Skill Trident Z 3200 (2x8GB) | Case: Cooler Master Q300L | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250G + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Displays: LG 27'' G-Sync compatible 144hz 1080p | Cooling: NH U12S black | Keyboard: Logitech G512 carbon | Mouse: Logitech g900 

53 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

The lower slot is running of the chipset and a bit slower, but for folding it should make a difference.

How much of a difference do you think it'll make? Should I get a new MOBO?

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600 | GPU: Gigabite GTX 1660 super | Motherboard: MSI Mortar MAX | RAM: G Skill Trident Z 3200 (2x8GB) | Case: Cooler Master Q300L | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250G + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Displays: LG 27'' G-Sync compatible 144hz 1080p | Cooling: NH U12S black | Keyboard: Logitech G512 carbon | Mouse: Logitech g900 

Not sure about performance differences if you are running SLI on 3.0 or SLI with one card on 2.0 and the other one on 3.0

But you can get something like Z97 Krait for 100$ and it should work great :)

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

51 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Not sure about performance differences if you are running SLI on 3.0 or SLI with one card on 2.0 and the other one on 3.0

But you can get something like Z97 Krait for 100$ and it should work great :)

I'm going to run 2 different GPUs which can't and won't be in SLI.

5 hours ago, msvelev said:

How much of a difference do you think it'll make? Should I get a new MOBO?

For folding, less than 5%

7 hours ago, msvelev said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

It's hard to precise how much performance you'd lose on Folding, due to the lack of testing on newer apps and architectures. But, there have been reports of huge performance hits on a 970 running at 2.0 x2, so I'd expect yours to take a big hit as well.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

18 hours ago, Imakuni said:

I just read in the user guide that you're right. 2.0 x2 sounds too little for a powerful GPU such as the 970. Guess I'll first buy the new GPU and if I see dramatic drop in performance, I'd get a new mobo.

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, msvelev said:

I just read in the user guide that you're right. 2.0 x2 sounds too little for a powerful GPU such as the 970. Guess I'll first buy the new GPU and if I see dramatic drop in performance, I'd get a new mobo.

Thanks!

It's all about the app, rather than how powerfull a GPU is. In F@H's case, the app needs a bit of bandwidth.

If it was, say, PrimeGrid's manual sieve, you could even run a Titan X at 1x and have no loss at all.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!