Motherboard no post

Flashie

Motherboard: P8H61-M LE/USB3 - LGA 1155

CPU: Intel Pentium G2020 2.9GHz FCLGA1155

RAM: 1x 4GB DDR3 1333(9) 4GX8 U-DIMM

What happens: The board requires 24-pin power and 4-pin CPU power, which was given to the board.

You boot up the system (in my case by shorting out the two power switch pins)

The fan on the cooler spins, the PSU (and you can feel that the CPU does get hot)

What i've tried:  I've reseated the CPU and the RAM

I've tested it with 3 power supplies now (ranging from 500 - 700W)

I've tested with 3 sets of ram (all 3 sticks work - tested in my personal rig)

I've also done a general cleaning of the board as well as testing it on the onboard

VGA, as well as using 2 different GFX cards to test, which 1 was my personal 1

Reset CMOS and Reseated the still-working CMOS Battery

What is the next step? I'd really like to fix this

Just now, DEcobra11 said:

OK, did you get the MB and CPU separately?

Asking because if the mb is "old" enough it might come with an old BIOS, only supporting sandy bridge.

The motherboard was a binned board tossed by a customer. I often take things as such home, fix them up and use them myself, sell or research. The CPU and RAM was donated to me by the same store which i work at.

So... yes, you got the separately :P

Any idea on what CPU he's using? Did you receive it with its box?

Nope, The CPU was a spare that was put in the shops box of spares from PC's donated to the shop for scraps.

I did not get its box, nor its cooler so i've just been using it with a un-fitting cooler just chilling ontop of it right now.

Its a Pentium G2020 2.9GHz FCLGA1155

What I meant is that if they came form different PCs but whatever...

Check bent pins aswell

Yes, the CPU, RAM and motherboard were from 3 completely different PC's
Made sure of that too, as well as cleaning anything that was in the socket

1 minute ago, DEcobra11 said:

Back to the part origin... so no info on what was the previous CPU and asuming the previous state was "working" you can't do much if an old BIOS is the issue, because you'd need a compatible CPU to flash it

Isnt the G2020 a LGA1155 compatible CPU though?

2 minutes ago, DEcobra11 said:

It's Ivy Bridge, if you look at CPU support list you can see that's supported since BIOS version 4401

And theres no way of knowing what version is on there right now (and assuming the version thats on there now is the version it came out with, is the one it came out with) or which CPU is supported from its release-bios version?

3 minutes ago, Flashie said:

Isnt the G2020 a LGA1155 compatible CPU though?

It is but, it's a ivy bridge CPU but the boards were launched a year earlier for sandy bridge and in order for them to be compatible a year later when Intel released ivy bridge CPUs, you had to flash the bios for the bios to support the new ivy bridge chips..

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

It is but, it's a ivy bridge CPU but the boards were launched a year earlier for sandy bridge and in order for them to be compatible a year later when Intel released ivy bridge CPUs, you had to flash the bios for the bios to support the new ivy bridge chips..

So I'd need to grab myself a Sandy-bridge LGA 1155 CPU, and it will boot (and then upgrade the BIOS to the later version to support the G2020)?

Just now, Flashie said:

So I'd need to grab myself a Sandy-bridge LGA 1155 CPU, and it will boot (and then upgrade the BIOS to the later version to support the G2020)?

Very likely, yes...unfortunately :/ 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, DEcobra11 said:

Well, if in the shop they've any sandy bridge to put in there for a moment you'd see the version when it boots (and flash it if you can)

Also that's why I asked for the box, I remember from an Asus board I'd that it had the BIOS version printed in a sticker

The only other CPU's they had were all LGA 775 unfortunately. I'd keep an eye out though

12 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Very likely, yes...unfortunately :/ 

I'll keep an eye open and ask around, thanks for assisting :)