Rendering processor on budget...

Go to solution Solved by suchamoneypit,
21 hours ago, Negation said:

So @DannyRyu you suggest I invest more in GPU than CPU. That seems reasonable, I might opt for lower end i7 and a GTX 1080 (when it becomes available) if I can save on other components. Thank you. 

P.S. @suchamoneypit  e5-2670 is 1,500$ CPU, hardly in my 300$ CPU budget.

I said a e5-2670 used.

used is the difference between a $1500 CPU and a $65 one.

I'm studying animation and I need a new PC.

I'm looking into Intel Xeon processors but I don't know if they are worth it on my budget.

I have around 300$ to spend on CPU and I'm looking for more cores since I'll be doing a lot of rendering in 3Ds Max.

So, am I better off buying i7 or is something like Xeon E5-1620 v3 better suited for me.

I'm buying GPU so I would gladly trade Intel HD Graphics for more cores.

If you can afford the motherboard, the e5-2670 used is a really good price/performance for what you want to do. I will be building a Dual xeon home server with these within the next month.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Rendering can be a lot faster done on GPU's. and 3DS max supports GPU accelerated rendering.

Why not look into that?

Like with my program an i7-5960X overclocked is slower at rendering Heavy scenes compared to 980 by Several Minutes. and each minute/Second adds up during long animations. (although I don't use 3DS Max so it may vary and the program I use (Blender) may not be able to utilize CPU's to the fullest?)

dual 2670

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

59 minutes ago, DannyRyu said:

Rendering can be a lot faster done on GPU's. and 3DS max supports GPU accelerated rendering.

Why not look into that?

Like with my program an i7-5960X overclocked is slower at rendering Heavy scenes compared to 980 by Several Minutes. and each minute/Second adds up during long animations. (although I don't use 3DS Max so it may vary and the program I use (Blender) may not be able to utilize CPU's to the fullest?)

So @DannyRyu you suggest I invest more in GPU than CPU. That seems reasonable, I might opt for lower end i7 and a GTX 1080 (when it becomes available) if I can save on other components. Thank you. 

21 hours ago, Negation said:

I said a e5-2670 used.

used is the difference between a $1500 CPU and a $65 one.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

On 5/7/2016 at 11:32 AM, Negation said:

Yes the E5 2670 is about 65 used on Ebay. It is a few years old but is still an amazing CPU for rendering in a budget. If you were to get one of those and a GTX 1080 you would have a pretty amazing rending PC. You could get two E5 2670s and have even better performance but you would have to go with a dual socket board and those motherboards tend to be around 400ish.  

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.)