Guess who got Jury Duty

Donut417

Yep. I gotta summons. 3rd time in like 5 years. Its like they are picking on me. Sadly I think this is the Civil court. So I wont get any murder trials. So now I gotta find something to read. Because they dont allow phones in the court. Any one else ever do jury duty? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I just realized that I was summoned about a year and a half ago and totally forgot...

Nothing to say about having done it ever though =/

13 hours ago, ch0g0nda said:

I just realized that I was summoned about a year and a half ago and totally forgot...

Nothing to say about having done it ever though =/

We get fined £1000 in the UK if we 'forget' :(

5 hours ago, harrynowl said:

In Canada, you're usually given a warning, and if you don't have a good excuse, you could get a small fee (a few hundred $), and if you continue to ignore the summons, you can actually serve jail time (though that's pretty rare).

Your employer is legally obligated to give you the time off, and they can't reprimand you for it (eg: fire you). HOWEVER, they are not obligated to pay you while you're away, and the Court only pays you for service after 10 days of work, and it's only $40 per day (If a case lasts longer than 50 "work" days, the pay jumps to $100 per day).

But you can basically be forced to take time off work for a week and a half with no reimbursement. Some companies have a policy for paying for jury duty, but it's not mandatory.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

If you don't like being in a jury then watch this video (or read this article). It will tell you something which might prevent you from being in a jury ever again:

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

In Canada, you're usually given a warning, and if you don't have a good excuse, you could get a small fee (a few hundred $), and if you continue to ignore the summons, you can actually serve jail time (though that's pretty rare).

Your employer is legally obligated to give you the time off, and they can't reprimand you for it (eg: fire you). HOWEVER, they are not obligated to pay you while you're away, and the Court only pays you for service after 10 days of work, and it's only $40 per day (If a case lasts longer than 50 "work" days, the pay jumps to $100 per day).

But you can basically be forced to take time off work for a week and a half with no reimbursement. Some companies have a policy for paying for jury duty, but it's not mandatory.

Yes, very similar in the UK. 

You can claim lost earnings through court with proof of it, and they will cover expense like travel, parking and food.

You're eligible for extended compensation for long cases, but usually you're covered for about 7-10 days.

In the US you get $50 per day and you can't be penalized by your work.

I was on a 2 week trial a few years ago.  It sucked.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

8 hours ago, harrynowl said:

Same here in the US, you might even get Jail time. I know the Michigan Courts were pulling people in for it. Basically said do your Jury Duty or Go to Jail. 

51 minutes ago, rmac52 said:

In the US you get $50 per day and you can't be penalized by your work.

I was on a 2 week trial a few years ago.  It sucked.

In Michigan at least in Wayne County. We get $25 for the first day. And $40 for any day after that. Plus 10 cents a mile from your Zip code. So its not like they are asking for you to do it for free. Thats the upside. Im unemployed. So If I can make a few dollars by giving up some of my time then ok. Only thing that sucks is No Cellphones are allowed. Unless your a court officer. Which means Im going to be board as fuck. 

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Same here in the US, you might even get Jail time. I know the Michigan Courts were pulling people in for it. Basically said do your Jury Duty or Go to Jail. 

In the UK you can avoid it for 2 things:

- You have an operation

- You have already booked a holiday (Must provide proof it was booked before duty notice) 

Just now, harrynowl said:

In the UK you can avoid it for 2 things:

- You have an operation

- You have already booked a holiday (Must provide proof it was booked before duty notice) 

Oh, they will let you postpone it a few times. Or if you are going to have financial hardships. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Oh, they will let you postpone it a few times. Or if you are going to have financial hardships. 

Yeah, in the UK if you postpone it you have to provide a date range you will be available within the next 12 months :P 

So glad I've never received a "summon" for jury duty. It's ridiculous how they expect people to just drop everything in their lives to do some unpaid jury duty... They really need to change this stuff.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

So glad I've never received a "summon" for jury duty. It's ridiculous how they expect people to just drop everything in their lives to do some unpaid jury duty... They really need to change this stuff.

Its not unpiad. In my area they give you the money. The reasoning for this, is that every one has an equal chance of keeping the justice system fair for all. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

In Michigan at least in Wayne County. We get $25 for the first day. And $40 for any day after that. Plus 10 cents a mile from your Zip code. So its not like they are asking for you to do it for free. Thats the upside. Im unemployed. So If I can make a few dollars by giving up some of my time then ok. Only thing that sucks is No Cellphones are allowed. Unless your a court officer. Which means Im going to be board as fuck. 

I guess it's only  $50 per day in Massachusetts.  I make significantly more than that per day.  So on my 2 week trial I lost like $700- $800

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

On 6 May 2016 at 6:29 PM, Donut417 said:

Yep. I gotta summons. 3rd time in like 5 years. Its like they are picking on me. Sadly I think this is the Civil court. So I wont get any murder trials. So now I gotta find something to read. Because they dont allow phones in the court. Any one else ever do jury duty? 

Can that happen in the U.K? Sounds cool! If so what are the requirements to become or get selected for Jury Duty

6 hours ago, ShayMaster [PC Noob] said:

Can that happen in the U.K? Sounds cool! If so what are the requirements to become or get selected for Jury Duty

That depends on the U.K.. Here in the US is used to be Voters Registration was the pool. Now they get it from every where. DMV, Tax Record ect. To my understanding its computerized. Because I got choose. I wont be put back in the pool for 12 months. If you serve on the jury they take you out of the pool longer. I think you can volunteer to be a juror also. Im not sure how UK picks people for Jury duty though.