What is missing? What Goes Here (PCB Intensive)

Go to solution Solved by Naeaes,

A diode. It's a component that allows current to pass one way but not the other. They're often used as a security measure in case of short circuits, wrong polarity, overcurrent/voltage and so on and so forth. Kind of like a fuse of sorts. But technically not. 

Edit: Here's an actual smart person explaining the same thing.

So i was recently given a broken memory stick, because i was in need of salvageable USB type A connector (which is an absolute bastard to find in South Africa, without striping a component). What i want to know though, is what is supposed to be here that is missing? Without it the memory stick no longer works and if i can repair the memory stick it would be great too. I love small tasks like this and would love to fix something like this for experience. 

IMG_20160506_155437.jpg

maby a LED?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

A diode. It's a component that allows current to pass one way but not the other. They're often used as a security measure in case of short circuits, wrong polarity, overcurrent/voltage and so on and so forth. Kind of like a fuse of sorts. But technically not. 

Yeah, my guess would be a diode. 

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

9 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

maby a LED?

A good guess but a missing LED wouldnt cause the entire module not to work

1 minute ago, Flashie said:

A good guess but a missing LED wouldnt cause the entire module not to work

yah but im thinking that thats probably not what broke it, probably something with the memory controller or something

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

9 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

Do you think it would be repairablle if i could locate a replacement Diode from another stick?

7 minutes ago, Flashie said:
  • Do you think it would be repairablle if i could locate a replacement Diode from another stick?
    Spoiler

OFG this forum is crapping up like crazy. :D This is an edit. I'm so sorry.

• Assuming there's nothing else wrong with it, a replacement diode would fix it. A simple jump wire would work too in that case, mind you. If there's something else too, however, it'd blow the new diode too.