MS update bricks win7 machine running on Asus board with UEFI

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

All Windows 8 or above certified motherboards must have it enabled by default. If you buy a motherboard today then it will most likely have secure boot enabled out of the box. Microsoft dictates it. 

When you buy a OEM. For DIY it's not a requirement and your other components needs to support it for it to work properly.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Sick of Microsoft this is like when i did an update a week ago(win7) and now my 780 thinks it's a $3k Tesla card no matter what i do -_-  

7 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Your suggesting that MS should create an update tailored to a deprecated piece of software in order to support an unsupported configuration, just read that statement back a few times and you'll realise how idiotic it actually is.

Windows 7 is not deprecated. It is not unsupported either.

Remember that Windows 7 was the first OS released (outside of the server world although technically Servers were using EFI which is different to UEFI but I won't bore you with that one) which had support for UEFI, at the time UEFI was still in its infancy and the standards were still being debated. The revision that Windows 7 has support for was the very first revision of UEFI ever released into the wild and while it was functional it wasn't anywhere near finished, heck at the time Secureboot as a UEFI module wasn't even a thing. Microsoft kickstarted everyone else into supporting UEFI and allowed hardware manufacturers to begin implementing it into home hardware with Windows 7 but just to reiterate the important thing, it wasn't actually finalised at the time.

1) Windows 7 was not really the first OS to support it. Windows Vista supports it too.

2) UEFI was not in its infancy, nor was the standard still being debated. HP and Intel had been working on it since the 90's (called it EFI). In 2005 the UEFI Forum was founded and they used EFI 1.10 as their starting point (a standard made in 2002). UEFI was essentially 9 years old when I bought my motherboard, and it had been in development for 13 years.

3) It sounds like you think UEFI was not finished but now it is. That's not how standards like these work. UEFI has several standards, all of which are "finalized". Secure Boot was included in version 2.3.1 (Errate C) of the standard. The latest version of the standard is 2.6 (8 versions newer than 2.3.1 Errate C). Like with other standards, things gets added and removed to the specifications and when they do, they get a new version number. Version 2.3.1 is not any more "finalized" than version 2.0 for example, in the same way Internet Explorer 11 isn't a more "finalized" version than Internet Explorer 8. They are different versions, not more or less finalized versions.

You can find the recent versions of the specifications here.

4) It wasn't Microsoft kickstarting everyone into supporting it. It was Intel with the launch of Sandy Bridge. Then about 2 years later Microsoft said that Windows 8 certified devices would need to use UEFI.

Now onto your motherboard, yeah you did just blow my mind because AFAIk there was never any UEFI boards certified for Windows 7, why would they bother certifying for a platform which wasn't finalised? Your board must have been released very late into Windows 7 lifespan at a time when UEFI was finalised and just before Windows 8 released with full support for it.

Like I explained earlier, UEFI was finalized and Windows 7 had full support for it (even GPT).

There was about a 2 year gap between motherboards with UEFI showing up and Windows 8 being released. Any motherboard that was certified for Windows during that ~2 year period would have had UEFI, and been certified for Windows 7 (like my board). You should be able to find quite a few boards like mine.

Couldn't certify them for something that did not exist yet.

UEFI was in its infancy for motherboard manufacture that WE buy.

While MILES better now, especially with some manufactures like ASUS, there still work to be done.

For example, if you use Intel GPU (with a decently fast SSD), you boot from shut down state, Windows 8/10 in 6sec. Use a dedicated GPU, then you are stuck at a black screen for several seconds, then it boots. Why? The GPU is UEFI ready.

38 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

UEFI was in its infancy for motherboard manufacture that WE buy.

While MILES better now, especially with some manufactures like ASUS, there still work to be done.

For example, if you use Intel GPU (with a decently fast SSD), you boot from shut down state, Windows 8/10 in 6sec. Use a dedicated GPU, then you are stuck at a black screen for several seconds, then it boots. Why? The GPU is UEFI ready.

Sadly I don't know how to check which UEFI specification a particular motherboard has implemented, but to say that UEFI was in its infancy in version ~2.3 and then all of a sudden it was mature and good in version 2.3.1 is rather silly.