Wifi card not working in Linux

FullTank1337

I got a Wifi card for my desktop recently (no way to get LAN in this part of the house) and it works great in Windows, but not at all in Linux. It detects the card, and even provides some proprietary drivers to use, but installing them makes the PC fail to boot. Every other PC I've used has worked with LAN and Wifi right out of the box in both Windows and Linux, so I don't know what's wrong here, it doesn't even work when booting from LiveCD/USB. 

The card I'm using is a Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20) 

The OS I'm using is Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with LXDE (not to be confused with Lubuntu) 

Anybody know what's going on here, and what I can do to fix it? Any help would be appreciated!

I would see if Realtek has the drivers directly on their web site and download them to a flash drive. I do recall once upon a time during the Windows XP days when I used Ubuntu, I had to plug my laptop in wired to get the right wireless drivers to install. Hopefully you can find the drivers online and get them via a flash drive to you Linux box. Could also be the card may not be compatible, maybe its not the right driver. Hard to say. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I would see if Realtek has the drivers directly on their web site and download them to a flash drive. I do recall once upon a time during the Windows XP days when I used Ubuntu, I had to plug my laptop in wired to get the right wireless drivers to install. Hopefully you can find the drivers online and get them via a flash drive to you Linux box. Could also be the card may not be compatible, maybe its not the right driver. Hard to say. 

Nope, nothing (aside from the POS proprietary drivers on the Linux CD) I guess the only thing to do now is to just buy a new one. Crap. Well, thanks anyway, that's kinda the answer I expected, just not the one I was hoping for xD

8 hours ago, FullTank1337 said:

Nope, nothing (aside from the POS proprietary drivers on the Linux CD) I guess the only thing to do now is to just buy a new one. Crap. Well, thanks anyway, that's kinda the answer I expected, just not the one I was hoping for xD

I would check a supported device list before buying a new card. This way you can  find one that will work. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.