[Help] AMD R9 290 v MSI GTX 970 OC vs ???

Bradders

New builder, had a look at the two cards and wondering if there is anything around that price point that is worth the bang for buck. 

Was also wondering if the gaming version of the MSI GTX 970 was worth the extra cash?

- SSUPD Meshlicous - Z170I - i7-6700K - Gigabyte 2080 - 16GB Corsair Vengance - 850 EVO 1TB - H115i ICUE Link- SF600

Why not the MSI 390?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

if your considering a 970, a 390 (not 290) is the same price or cheaper and performs better.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

1 minute ago, suchamoneypit said:

if your considering a 970, a 390 (not 290) is the same price or cheaper and performs better.

Pushes my budget a little, I live in HK so prices may be different. Also I prefer the Nvidia cards for shadowplay and their drivers 

- SSUPD Meshlicous - Z170I - i7-6700K - Gigabyte 2080 - 16GB Corsair Vengance - 850 EVO 1TB - H115i ICUE Link- SF600

if you go nvidia you can save money on a psu because they dont draw near as much power but you will have to deal with the occasion coil whine. (i heard about the coil whine but i dont have nvidia so dont quote me on how bad it is)

If you think all console gamers are "console peasants" then you dont belong to the pc master race

but the fan boys on the other hand...

15 minutes ago, Bradders said:

New builder, had a look at the two cards and wondering if there is anything around that price point that is worth the bang for buck. 

Was also wondering if the gaming version of the MSI GTX 970 was worth the extra cash?

how cheap is that 290?

2 minutes ago, BudgetForNow said:

if you go nvidia you can save money on a psu because they dont draw near as much power but you will have to deal with the occasion coil whine. (i heard about the coil whine but i dont have nvidia so dont quote me on how bad it is)

Coil whine should be fine, I have my aircon on alot so should be masked by that

1 minute ago, Bradders said:

Coil whine should be fine, I have my aircon on alot so should be masked by that

But no noise is better than noise which you'd mask with more noise.

Sig under construction.

1 minute ago, Tedster said:

But no noise is better than noise which you'd mask with more noise.

but hot amd fans could potentially make more noise

If you think all console gamers are "console peasants" then you dont belong to the pc master race

but the fan boys on the other hand...

3 minutes ago, Bradders said:

Pushes my budget a little, I live in HK so prices may be different. Also I prefer the Nvidia cards for shadowplay and their drivers 

Do you use ShadowPlay? I've heard people use OBS with AMD cards no problem.

Drivers for both companies are great.

That being said, the R9 290 has slightly better DX11 performance, significantly better DX12 performance, and full speed non-segmented 4GB VRAM.

18 minutes ago, Bradders said:

Sounds like the R9 290 is the cheaper choice. The Radeon is definitely the winner here.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

1 minute ago, BudgetForNow said:

but hot amd fans could potentially make more noise

Nvidia GTX 970 / 980's easily can hit 81c under load. The R9 390 is around the same temps. Don't be a muppet.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...