Question about RAM

2 minutes ago, Tweed said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/gskill-memory-f43000c14q32gtz,gskill-memory-f43200c14q32gtz,gskill-memory-f43200c15q32gtz/

Between these which should I get? Reason why? Or if there is another RAM you recommend I'd love to hear it.

What was it again that you were doing with your PC? That's a crucial piece of information.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

13 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

What was it again that you were doing with your PC? That's a crucial piece of information.

Not much gaming. Just video editing, animations, graphic design, programming.

1 minute ago, Tweed said:

Not much gaming. Just video editing, animations, graphic design, programming.

Then there's really not much difference between all of the kits, might as well get the 3200 CL15.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

4 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Then there's really not much difference between all of the kits, might as well get the 3200 CL15.

What made you choose that over the 3000 CL14? How do you choose which ram over another, or how do you even choose a good ram lol?

get the cheapest one wit hthe best CAS

so the first one

What made you choose that over the 3000 CL14?

The extra speed. That's really it. It justifies the 0.08ns higher latency.

8 minutes ago, Tweed said:

How do you choose which ram over another, or how do you even choose a good ram lol?

You define what your usage is and go from there. It's really done on a per case basis.

10 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

The extra speed. That's really it. It justifies the 0.08ns higher latency.

You define what your usage is and go from there. It's really done on a per case basis.

where did you get 0.08ns?
What ive read up you do like: 14/3000=0.0046666      15/3200=0.0046975
idk

4 minutes ago, Tweed said:

where did you get 0.08ns?
What ive read up you do like: 14/3000=0.0046666      15/3200=0.0046975
idk

Urgh... I screwed up calc somewhere. Shoulda just did things slowly rather than typing everything and hitting enter... Your numbers are right, mine is wrong.

Doesn't change anything, though.

2 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Urgh... I screwed up calc somewhere. Shoulda just did things slowly rather than typing everything and hitting enter... Your numbers are right, mine is wrong.

Doesn't change anything, though.

So still go with 15 3200? from my calculations 14 3000 has a lower number. or is it higher better :/

So still go with 15 3200? from my calculations 14 3000 has a lower number. or is it higher better :/

As far as latency goes, lower is better. The 3k CL14 has lower latency, so as far as this particular point goes, the CL14 one would be "better". But latency is not the only thing that matters. Speed is also important, and it's usually more so than latency.

So the 3.2k CL15 wins here. Overall, it's the better kit.

Though as I've said, it doesn't really matter much to you.

My motherboard is the Asus Maximus Hero VIII, z170, dual channel. Should I get 2x16gb or 4x8gb? People say to get 2x16gb because it puts less stress or something. I don't plan to upgrade. 32gb is where I'm going to stay at. Advice and reason why?

get whichever is cheaper unless you're on X99

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

3 minutes ago, Tweed said:

My motherboard is the Asus Maximus Hero VIII, z170, dual channel. Should I get 2x16gb or 4x8gb? People say to get 2x16gb because it puts less stress or something. I don't plan to upgrade. 32gb is where I'm going to stay at. Advice and reason why?

2 16 gigabyte sticks, it is cheaper and you can't use quad channel so there is no extra perfomance

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

To be honest, it really doesn't matter. The difference in  performance and load on the memory controller is negligible. Both will run in dual channel (provided you space the 2x16GB kit correctly and assuming it is a 4 DIMM board). 

Personally, I would go with 4x8GB because a full board looks better.

4 minutes ago, Tweed said:

2x16gb.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

2x16. It'll perform identical to 4x8, without any unnecessary strain on the controller.

Although as said, you can go for 4x8 just fine if you think it looks better.

I physically noticed a slowdown when I populated all 4slots. ( going from 2 dimms to 4 ) must have something to do with how the cpu and ram communicate. be something nice for Linus and the tech quicky vids.

I think this was on a 1155/56 socket at the time and a xeon cpu.

It is known that 4 DIMM configurations tend to reach lower overclocks so if you want to OC your memory, go 2x16.

Otherwise take the cheapest

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

It makes seance to go for 2 X 16 then you don't have to bother later on if you want to add in more ram you don't have to replace the hole lot.

What MHZ ram are you going for ? 

"Stress"

Lol.

We overclock our shit to hell and back, and now we're afraid of utilizing a feature built into the motherboard with an intended purpose?

Seems silly to me.

Overall, get whatever is cheaper. 

Dual channel has it's benefits, but they aren't benefits you're likely to notice.

I always say go with the less sticks variant because you might want to upgrade in the future. Can never know.

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Cooler Noctua NH-D15S | MB Asus ROG Strix B550 A-Gaming | RAM 2 x G.Skill Trident Z Royal silver 16 GB @ 3200 MHz CL14 | GPU Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Vision OC 8G

Case Fractal Design Define C TG | SSD(s) Boot: Samsung 970 EVO 250 GBPrograms: Samsung 970 EVO 1 TBData: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB | PSU Seasonic Focus GX 750W

Screen(s) Main: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-mhd, Second: Asus PB277Q, Third: LG Flatron E2240T | Keyboard Ducky One (MX Blues) | Mouse Logitech G Pro Gaming

Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2X PCIe, System: Edifier R1280DB | OS Windows 10, 64 Bit

20 minutes ago, Trevor87 said:

It makes seance to go for 2 X 16 then you don't have to bother later on if you want to add in more ram you don't have to replace the hole lot.

What MHZ ram are you going for ? 

I'm not sure yet. All I know is that I'm going 32gb, G.Skill Trident Z. Deciding whether to go 2x16gb or 4x8gb at the moment

15 minutes ago, intelCore said:

I always say go with the less sticks variant because you might want to upgrade in the future. Can never know.

I know for sure I won't upgrade. 32gb is already "overkill" for some people and most cases. With that in mind I am deciding whether to go 2x16gb or 4x8gb.

2 minutes ago, Tweed said:

I know for sure I won't upgrade. 32gb is already "overkill" for some people and most cases. With that in mind I am deciding whether to go 2x16gb or 4x8gb.

Oh then I would decide on looks. I did upgrade from 4 to 8 GB on my 1156 Platform going from 2 to 4 sticks and there was absolutely no difference whatsoever (except for the more RAM ofcourse).

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Cooler Noctua NH-D15S | MB Asus ROG Strix B550 A-Gaming | RAM 2 x G.Skill Trident Z Royal silver 16 GB @ 3200 MHz CL14 | GPU Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Vision OC 8G

Case Fractal Design Define C TG | SSD(s) Boot: Samsung 970 EVO 250 GBPrograms: Samsung 970 EVO 1 TBData: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB | PSU Seasonic Focus GX 750W

Screen(s) Main: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-mhd, Second: Asus PB277Q, Third: LG Flatron E2240T | Keyboard Ducky One (MX Blues) | Mouse Logitech G Pro Gaming

Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2X PCIe, System: Edifier R1280DB | OS Windows 10, 64 Bit

54 minutes ago, Tweed said:

I'm not sure yet. All I know is that I'm going 32gb, G.Skill Trident Z. Deciding whether to go 2x16gb or 4x8gb at the moment

If you have graphics card it makes seance to go with 2133 Mhz no need to go higher.