i3 6100 Overclock issues

Go to solution Solved by GarnetDevil,

If you OC a non-K CPU using BLCK method:

1. iGPU will be disabled

2. You can't use CoreTemp and some apps to measure temp, for this use HWinfo

That can't be helped with

I recently bought i3 6100, Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI, and Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2400. I found another thread on this forum saying that it was possible to OC locked skylake chips using an OC BIOS, so I downloaded the OC  BIOS and got to overclocking. 

After some initial problems (I don't have a lot of experience :P), I finally managed to get 4.51 GHz on the core, at 1.35v. Now that's stable, and it's pretty great, but it introduced a couple of problems.

vZ2gLmv.jpg

First, the CPU temp seems to be stuck at 100 degrees in Windows.

NNFPcbE.jpg 82hw3HH.jpg

Second problem is that the computer posts, but refuses to boot if the iGPU is enabled. It boots just fine when it's disabled. I kinda need the iGPU because for x265 decoding (as you can see my GPU is quite old for x265).

Any help regarding these issues will be appreciated.

Another question, the CPU frequency used to vary with load before I OC'd. Now it just stays at max clock and max voltage. Is this normal and sustainable?

Thank you!

1. iGPU will be disabled

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

personally im against overclocking locked chips, so dont mind me if i enjoy your pain and sorrow while giving you some info that will help you

overclocking bclk will display the wrong temps, or so i heard

so i've seen a couple people fried their cpu just like that, by overclocking their locked chips :D and i enjoyed it

because they can afford an overclocking board but not a (insert solution to prevent this issue here)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

5 minutes ago, GarnetDevil said:

1. iGPU will be disabled

2 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

everything is fine, thats 100% normal.

Alright, I downloaded HWinfo and it is giving a temperature readout, so that's great.

Another thing I wanted to ask was that I had to bring down the RAM frequency multiplier down to allow my OC'd system to post. Is my current RAM frequency okay?

cIIIwtm.jpg

2 minutes ago, small2cats said:

Alright, I downloaded HWinfo and it is giving a temperature readout, so that's great.

Another thing I wanted to ask was that I had to bring down the RAM frequency multiplier down to allow my OC'd system to post. Is my current RAM frequency okay?

Yes, it's fine

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

If you are OCing locked CPUs, you:

1. Lose AVX
  2. Lose thermal reads
  3. Lose the iGPU
  4. Cache becomes slower
  5. Can't update BIOS
  6. Risks Windows making a microcode update and locking you out of it (unlikely to happen, but it is possible).

So yeah, seems like you decided to OC without really knowing what you were doing. GJ man.

7 minutes ago, small2cats said:

2277mhz RAM is fine. You could add voltage to it and OC that as well, but that's another thing for another day.

For now, frequency is okay.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

7 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

personally im against overclocking locked chips, so dont mind me if i enjoy your pain and sorrow while giving you some info that will help you

overclocking bclk will display the wrong temps, or so i heard

so i've seen a couple people fried their cpu just like that, by overclocking their locked chips :D and i enjoyed it

because they can afford an overclocking board but not a (insert solution to prevent this issue here)

I guess yeah, there's risk involved. I just did if for fun (it's my first time playing with an Z170 chipset). I bought the mobo to allow for upgrades to a K series i5 or i7 in the future.

right now, I don't exactly need an OC at all. Just playing GTA V with CPU chilling at 40-50%. Will mess around a bit and will probably revert back to stock. But it's still cool I'm able to squeeze so much out of this CPU.

2 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

isnt 1138mhz slow for ddr4? or am I missing something?

I believe it is multiplied by 2, since the BIOS shows 2278 MHz

2 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

If you are OCing locked CPUs, you:

1. Lose AVX
  2. Lose thermal reads
  3. Lose the iGPU
  4. Cache becomes slower
  5. Can't update BIOS
  6. Risks Windows making a microcode update and locking you out of it (unlikely to happen, but it is possible).

So yeah, seems like you decided to OC without really knowing what you were doing. GJ man.

2277mhz RAM is fine. You could add voltage to it and OC that as well, but that's another thing for another day.

For now, frequency is okay.

Thank you. I'm surprised it worked out so well for my first try :D.

I'm kinda concerned about 6. Will any microcode update to disable OC brick my CPU or MOBO?

1 minute ago, small2cats said:

Thank you. I'm surprised it worked out so well for my first try :D.

I'm kinda concerned about 6. Will any microcode update to disable OC brick my CPU or MOBO?

It won't brick, as you can just reset the CMOS and revert back to stock, at which point it becomes fully usable again.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

3 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

It won't brick, as you can just reset the CMOS and revert back to stock, at which point it becomes fully usable again.

That's a relief.

Thank you for the info!