Radiator clearance in the define s

I am building a new pc and will be watercooling the whole thing. My plan is to put a 360mm radiator in the top and a 120mm radiator in the back. Would I be able to do this without clearance issues?

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

it'll be tight, but depending on the thickness of the 360 in the roof, if you can use the 120 in the i/o position (personally, scrap the single 120 radiator).

3 minutes ago, airdeano said:

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

it'll be tight, but depending on the thickness of the 360 in the roof, if you can use the 120 in the i/o position (personally, scrap the single 120 radiator).

Its just there is going to be a lot for a single 360. I am going to be putting several components in this loop (I flat out refuse to do a front mounted radiator)

I have a 420mm Radiator in the top and was not able to mount a 140mm-Fan in the back. Maybe you can get the 360mm radiator a bit further to the front, so that it works, but it will be very tight. Why don´t you put a 280mm in the front?

Don´t forget that you also have to put the fittings and the tube between them somewhere.

This is what mine looks like:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/296-the-water-cooling-gallery/?page=27#comment-7532605

a single 360 usually is good for a CPU/2xGPU with light voltage overclocks. and more voltage increases will need a 240 added to keep the fan speeds low.

refusing the inevitable will make it difficult.

the 360 in the front intake will make positive air pressure in the case to control dust..

3 minutes ago, The Elder Smurf said:

Its just there is going to be a lot for a single 360. I am going to be putting several components in this loop (I flat out refuse to do a front mounted radiator)

a 360 is enough for a CPU and 2-3 GPUs

i highly doubt you will be putting more than that in a loop

anyway, you can fit a 360+120 in the back as long as they are slim <30mm

074e5c2b3f73e93debb1ef86499178c8.jpg

you can see there is space for the fan to move forward about 30mm

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I will be putting a 6700k overclocked to 4.8 (i have the cpu and mobo already, so i tested the overclocks with an aio i have spare) Im getting two fury x's, which dont overclock at all lol. I will also be using the ek waterblock on the motherboard (maximus 8 formula) and will be liquid cooling an intel 750 ssd. With 4 140mm noctuas for intakes and a 360mm radiator with noctua 120 fans for it will be enough then ill settle, otherwise I wanna squeeze all the radiator in I can. Another thing I was thinking was a 120 on the bottom, but i'm not sure how its going to pan out because I am waiting on my new psu.

9 hours ago, airdeano said:

a single 360 usually is good for a CPU/2xGPU with light voltage overclocks. and more voltage increases will need a 240 added to keep the fan speeds low.

refusing the inevitable will make it difficult.

the 360 in the front intake will make positive air pressure in the case to control dust..

Okay well that's good to hear. The gpu's will be fury x's so they won't be overclocked since they don't overclock lol. The only thing being overclocked is the cpu.

Also, with the front already having restrictions, I'd rather not add more to it. I'll have clean intakes with top rads on the exaust. If I need it that bad I'll add a 4th 140 intake by the power supply if I need positive air pressure. 

I have the Define R5, and you won't be able to get a 360 on the top + a 120 in the back elegantly, you may be able to squeeze them in if you're using 25-30mm rads and slim fans.

Put a 280 in the front and the 360 on the top. Then you're set.

EDIT: spaced that you're against a front mount. In that case, you could put the 120 on the bottom as an intake? Eh. a 360 rad would be enough for what you're planning on cooling.

16 minutes ago, shibbs said:

I have the Define R5, and you won't be able to get a 360 on the top + a 120 in the back elegantly, you may be able to squeeze them in if you're using 25-30mm rads and slim fans.

Put a 280 in the front and the 360 on the top. Then you're set.

EDIT: spaced that you're against a front mount. In that case, you could put the 120 on the bottom as an intake? Eh. a 360 rad would be enough for what you're planning on cooling.

My only thing is I don't like radiators on my intakes. I know it won't effect the Temps of the gpu's and cpu, but it will roast the motherboard and I won't do that. Maybe I could shift the rad towards the front to make clearance for the rear if I need to

dunna know your information on 'roasting' the mobo, just won't happen as per this video shows no such thing, especially since your not overclocking the GPUs.

Yeah, I'm not sure where someone would get that the motherboard would roast with a front-mounted radiator.

A tower-style CPU cooler vents the heat in the case. So do most 3rd-party video cards (EVGA ACX, MSI Frozr... etc) and they don't kill motherboards.

It'll be just fine to mount it in the front, there is not much restriction and you sure won't "roast" your motherboard. There are more advantages to have the tripple rad in the front than disadvantages.

17 hours ago, P4LL3R said:

I have a 420mm Radiator in the top and was not able to mount a 140mm-Fan in the back. Maybe you can get the 360mm radiator a bit further to the front, so that it works, but it will be very tight. Why don´t you put a 280mm in the front?

Don´t forget that you also have to put the fittings and the tube between them somewhere.

This is what mine looks like:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/296-the-water-cooling-gallery/?page=27#comment-7532605

I have a 420 rad on top and was able to mount a fan in back with plenty of extra space.  IMAG0600 (2).jpg

Obviously it depends on the radiator, and you can't put the fittings in back and still mount it, but it can be done with a rad in back with a 420 and should be EASY to do with a 360.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Ok, i have mounted the fans on the top and since the radiator is a bit bigger than the fans, there is no space. And you also have an Ultralow-Profile Fan back there. 

14 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

I have a 420 rad on top and was able to mount a fan in back with plenty of extra space.  

Obviously it depends on the radiator, and you can't put the fittings in back and still mount it, but it can be done with a rad in back with a 420 and should be EASY to do with a 360.

Out of curiosity: How do you drain that loop?

13 hours ago, NoobCase said:

Out of curiosity: How do you drain that loop?

See the front rad with it's external fittings at the bottom facing out of the case?

It may seem crude, but I just open that up and let my pc drain out (generally holding it at an angle so I make less of a mess.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

3 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

See the front rad with it's external fittings at the bottom facing out of the case?

It may seem crude, but I just open that up and let my pc drain out (generally holding it at an angle so I make less of a mess.

Can't spot them no :)  but that makes sense. 

4 minutes ago, NoobCase said:

Can't spot them no :)  but that makes sense. 

Well directly opposite the bottom interior fittings on the front rad.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS