what NAS is good

tbh you're better off building your own NAS, you get to pick your own parts and you can get exactly what you want in it. What's your budget maybe I can help you get something together. What really makes a good NAS is the software and how you set it up. Not what you put inside it. 

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

Do what I did - find old computers that companies/schools are getting rid of and use on of those. Capable of link aggregation, supports up to 8 drives, and has a 3ghz dual core with ram*

*not actually sure how much ram - I have 12gb total DDR2 and its either half-half gaming rig and server or 8gb-4gb one way or the other.

Just do what I did. Have a friend whose work was getting rid of a server and take it. 16TB (8x2TB) SAS drives, Xeon E5405, 32GB DDR2 RAM. Pretty good for free.

What's your budget?

Do you have any space preferences? (smaller is generally more expensive)

Any sound preferences? (quieter can be more expensive)

If you have a little technical knowledge you can build your own. There's tons of resources and help on the interwebs. 

As the people above mentioned if you're not planning on streaming 4K content to multiple devices and using your NAS to host a PLEX repository for your neighbours 

you can get away on the cheap.

But please, buy new, solid hard drives. I don't recommend cheaping out here. Invest in western digital RED's or the like.

Also remember RAID is not a backup solution for your data.

Make sure you backup your critical data from your NAS either on the cloud on on a little external device

Honestly for just a few TB why not look into getting a QNAP, especially if you are only going to be storing data and not running things like game servers.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, LATINO WATER BOTTEL said:

no no game severs only backing up other pc to it. 

Since that's the case a 2 or 4 bay NAS like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822108237

plus a couple 2TB drives should work and give you room for more storage in the future.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

if you're just using for backups, you don't really care about performance and you don't want to go the freeNAS route:

Maybe pickup a synology /QNAP device

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822108236&cm_re=synology-_-22-108-236-_-Product

again don't cheap out on the drives

go for WD RED's

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236599&cm_re=wd_red-_-22-236-599-_-Product

If you get 2 x hard drives you can set it to RAID 1. This will give you no speed increase but added redundancy as the drives will be mirrored. ie. if one drive fails you will still have your data