how can i make my gpu draw less power?

sirbonneville

someone told me that if i run a gpu stress test at the same time as a cpu stress test and it shuts down my pc then its my psu that's giving up since it doesn't have enough wattage, so here is my question: how can i still run modern games, but have my gpu draw less power to make it not crash? i'm okay if it makes performance drop, i just want it to not crash

By my understanding, if you underclock your GPU you will be drawing less power from the PSU. 

Just now, KSores said:

KICK IT IN THE PANTS

but seriously

underclock it maybe?

there is no good way as far as i know

i've already underclocked it a lot o_o core clock from 1020mhz to 900, memory from 1450 to 1200mhz

Just now, ghssovereign said:

By my understanding, if you underclock your GPU you will be drawing less power from the PSU. 

i already underclocked it a lot and it still crashes 

What kind of PSU do you have?

i have an evga 600w 80+ bronze 

Just now, sirbonneville said:

i already underclocked it a lot and it still crashes 

If you undervolt and it crashes at stock clocks. I wouldn't risk it. The point of the 380 is gaming and has a fairly low power draw already. Not worth your time

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

Just now, afyeung said:

If you undervolt and it crashes at stock clocks. I wouldn't risk it. The point of the 380 is gaming and has a fairly low power draw already. Not worth your time

i don't know what undervolting is haha, i only underclocked the speed 

That should be way more than enough for this PC. Even if your GPU is pulling say 300 w (crazy amount) that still leaves ~300w for your other components. I mean your cpu has a TDP of only 85 w

The TDP for the Graphics Card is only 190w

That should be way more than enough for this PC. Even if your GPU is pulling say 300 w (crazy amount) that still leaves ~300w for your other components. I mean your cpu has a TDP of only 85 w

so it's not the power supply that is the problem? i ran two full memory diagnostics for a total of like 30 minutes, no problems each time. i dont think it's the gpu since i was having these problems then i mailed it back and got a replacement (a different) one, same problem but less frequent... huh... cpu? 

Just now, sirbonneville said:

i don't know what undervolting is haha, i only underclocked the speed 

That's what actually makes it draw less power significantly. Most cards use more than enough voltage at stock. Basically, in MSI AB, move the voltage slider to the left in 10mv increments until you get crashing. It's like overclocking but reverse direction. And if you don't know how to overclock I really wouldn't suggest doing this and just go play games lol.

use vsync

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, afyeung said:

That's what actually makes it draw less power significantly. Most cards use more than enough voltage at stock. Basically, in MSI AB, move the voltage slider to the left in 10mv increments until you get crashing. It's like overclocking but reverse direction. And if you don't know how to overclock I really wouldn't suggest doing this and just go play games lol.

the 'core voltage (mv)' bar is already to the left and grayed out and i havent even touched it. also im not trying to overclock, im trying to underclock and save power and have my PC not crash in ryse son of rome ;-;

Just now, Enderman said:

use vsync

Just now, Enderman said:

use vsync

how much power does that save? also that makes like all games 28 fps which is kind of unplayable

The 380 draws around 160W so you either have a PSU issue or something else is the problem. My bet is you have a defective PSU

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 minute ago, sirbonneville said:

the 'core voltage (mv)' bar is already to the left and grayed out and i havent even touched it. also im not trying to overclock, im trying to underclock and save power and have my PC not crash in ryse son of rome ;-;

Underclocking won't fix that. Could be a much more serious problem. And the reason why the bar is grayed out is because you didn't unlock voltage control.

Just now, afyeung said:

Underclocking won't fix that. Could be a much more serious problem. And the reason why the bar is grayed out is because you didn't unlock voltage control.

ohoh. where can i unlock it? 

1 minute ago, sirbonneville said:

Don't - get a new PSU asap - as I read this thread I am most certain your PSU is defective

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Just now, don_svetlio said:

The 380 draws around 160W so you either have a PSU issue or something else is the problem. My bet is you have a defective PSU

oh Dx 

3 minutes ago, sirbonneville said:

how much power does that save? also that makes like all games 28 fps which is kind of unplayable

a lot because your GPU doesnt need to be at full load

and if vsync makes your games run at 28fps then you have a problem because monitors are supposed to be 60Hz not 28Hz

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

a lot because your GPU doesnt need to be at full load

and if vsync makes your games run at 28fps then you have a problem because monitors are supposed to be 60Hz not 28Hz

im honestly not sure what model of monitor i have, its just an asus 23" 

5 minutes ago, sirbonneville said:

Click on settings, then there should be a checkbox to "unlock voltage control". 

Just now, afyeung said:

Click on settings, then there should be a checkbox to "unlock voltage control". 

oop, found it