H100i Thermal Past question

Hey guys, 

New to the forums so excuse me if this is somewhere else on here, I think I need to replace the thermal paste on my 100i because i used some older paste i had laying around (it was some old cooler master stuff). It seems like my temps are a little high even for my 4790k not over clocked just at the standard boost 4.4ghz i'm getting around 35c - 40c at idle on balance power mode (so not always at 4.4ghz and like 55c-60c while playing games like WoW or GTA V, so if you guys could help me with what paste i should get that would be really helpful or if you think its even necessary. 

Thanks for any help!

MX4 is great

just make sure you clean off the old paste before applying it

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

some types of thermal paste have a set time until they are at their maximum efficiency. maybe give it a week to set in

If you think all console gamers are "console peasants" then you dont belong to the pc master race

but the fan boys on the other hand...

I think you're right about the old cooler master stuff. Never use goop from the thermal past.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

MX4 is great

just make sure you clean off the old paste before applying it

2 hours ago, BudgetForNow said:

some types of thermal paste have a set time until they are at their maximum efficiency. maybe give it a week to set in

Yeah it's been about a month since I applied it and I watch my Temps a lot, I know it's gotten hotter where I live aswell but I'm still unsure of the paste at this point it's also a bit of peace of mind. 

Thanks for all the help, still new to these forums. Really appreciate the input.

2 hours ago, Arsyn said:

It seems like my temps are a little high even for my 4790k not over clocked just at the standard boost 4.4ghz i'm getting around 35c - 40c at idle on balance power mode (so not always at 4.4ghz and like 55c-60c while playing games like WoW or GTA V,

That seems a bit warm, but depending on your ambient room temperature, it's not that concerning. A month is not that long for it to be losing effectiveness. It could be that you didn't seat the waterblock to the CPU quite tight enough, but I really doubt it's due to the thermal paste. You said it's gotten warmer where you live; how much warmer? Go ahead and swap the paste if you feel the need to. 90%+ isopropyl alcohol and coffee filters is easiest for removing the old junk. But just keep in mind, your cooling efficiency is directly related to the ambient temperature. Also, if you're changing the paste you should probably dust out and clean the fans, rad and any filters in your system while you're at it.

6 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

That seems a bit warm, but depending on your ambient room temperature, it's not that concerning. A month is not that long for it to be losing effectiveness. It could be that you didn't seat the waterblock to the CPU quite tight enough, but I really doubt it's due to the thermal paste. You said it's gotten warmer where you live; how much warmer? Go ahead and swap the paste if you feel the need to. 90%+ isopropyl alcohol and coffee filters is easiest for removing the old junk. But just keep in mind, your cooling efficiency is directly related to the ambient temperature. Also, if you're changing the paste you should probably dust out and clean the fans, rad and any filters in your system while you're at it.

I live in SoCal so temps are all over the place but its been around 80s - 90s but today it was about 75 but yea I totally agree that it all depends on the ambient temp in the room. I'm fairly certain that the water block is seated correctly but I guess I'm not 100% sure any particular way I could double check that? It's OK to use Q tips right?

10 hours ago, Arsyn said:

I live in SoCal so temps are all over the place but its been around 80s - 90s but today it was about 75 but yea I totally agree that it all depends on the ambient temp in the room. I'm fairly certain that the water block is seated correctly but I guess I'm not 100% sure any particular way I could double check that? It's OK to use Q tips right?

Yeah, they're good for after you get the majority off with a paper towel or coffee filter. just be careful to not get the cotton to pull off the Qtip (you on point Phife?) when you're cleaning.