Cheap, Silly Lighting Mod Anyone?

So I went to Costco today and I happened upon something that grabbed my interest. A 3.6 meter kit of RGB LED strips. It was a $29.99 package by Sylvania (not bad considering you only get 60cm worth of LEDs with Bitfenix for the same price). I remembered talking to @NJM1112 about monitor lighting a little bit ago, so I figured I'd try them out for science!

So here's what you get:

IMAG0290_zpsc0e83513.jpg

The package includes a separate power brick that plugs into a little controller block that has an IR receiver for the included remote. There is also 4 connectors that can be used to make bends in the strips where needed. 

IMAG0292_zpsd3bd2e75.jpg

The included remote comes with brightness control, different lighting modes, as well as 16 different colors to choose from.

IMAG0297_zpsc3122320.jpg

I find that the red and green modes are the most eye catching out of the color choices, but I must say that the rest of the colors look quite nice as well. (the orange may be a little lacking though)

Green

IMAG0293_zps968140c6.jpg

Red

IMAG0294_zps0273d8a0.jpg

And pink for good measure

IMAG0295_zps60c62218.jpg

And so it was time to attach the strips to my monitors! Each strip has what appears to be some type of 3M double sided tape that appears to be strong enough (though only time will tell) and it was very easy to apply them to the back of the monitors (just be sure to dust off whatever surface you plan to use first). 

And here's the results! I know it's quite silly, but it was entertaining anyway :P

IMAG0299_zps97303335.jpg

IMAG0300_zps7017427b.jpg

IMAG0298_zps1f5de109.jpg

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

Actually looks quite nice, the green matches well with the keyboard. I feel like doing this some time. :P

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

I should get one......

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

That's actually gorgeous. Welp, time to go to costco

Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz | EVGA 780Ti Classified | ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/ Armor Kit | G.Skill Sniper 8GB @1866MHz

Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Kingwin Lazer 850W Bronze PSU | Corsair 350D Window

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate BF3 Edition | Razer Naga Molten

Looks awesome man! :D

Razer keyboards FTW ;)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Im getting this for my whole set up. Its all black and green and those would look fantastic!

That is awesome! I wonder how practical these would be for case lighting as well.

As long as you have a way to route the power cable out of the back of the case (such as liquid cooling holes) it would work very well. I'm actually considering grabbing another set for that reason :)

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

That is awesome! I wonder how practical these would be for case lighting as well.

I feel like they would be way too bright, but i'm not sure based off the pictures

Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz | EVGA 780Ti Classified | ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/ Armor Kit | G.Skill Sniper 8GB @1866MHz

Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Kingwin Lazer 850W Bronze PSU | Corsair 350D Window

That looks really cool. I want some too to light up my entire desk while I game. B)

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Just so you know though it may look cool it will cause you to percieve the colors on the monitor differently unless the image on your screen is predominantly the color your backlighting is. If you were to use white it would actually help especially with the lights out.

Just so you know though it may look cool it will cause you to percieve the colors on the monitor differently unless the image on your screen is predominantly the color your backlighting is. If you were to use white it would actually help especially with the lights out.

I have actually already started liking to set it to white while being on my computer in the darkness. It definitely makes the screens a bit easier on the eyes :)

I feel like they would be way too bright, but i'm not sure based off the pictures

I test-fitted the LEDs inside of my case before attaching them to the back of the monitors and they were actually perfect for case lighting. The blue setting really made the Mayhem's blue pastel liquid in my loop pop out.

I have actually already started liking to set it to white while being on my computer in the darkness. It definitely makes the screens a bit easier on the eyes :)

pics of white and all the other colors, pleaseeeeeee?  :D

pics of white and all the other colors, pleaseeeeeee?  :D

Only because you asked nicely... give me some time though :)

VERY NICE. +1

I only have a strip of red LEDs with no power. I'm still in the process of getting power to them I'm going to try to find a 12V wall wart this week and solder something together. Otherwise i have all the LEDs on the back of my monitor and the case LEDs all done.

TekSyndicate Forum Moderator: https://forum.teksyndicate.com/users/njm1112

5930K@4.3Ghz | 16GB 4x4 2133Mhz | r9-290 | 6TB Raid5 | 250GB 850Evo | 8.1pro | RM750

Only because you asked nicely... give me some time though :)

Yesssssssss no problem  :D

I test-fitted the LEDs inside of my case before attaching them to the back of the monitors and they were actually perfect for case lighting. The blue setting really made the Mayhem's blue pastel liquid in my loop pop out.

I was going to go with bitfenix alchemy but I may give this a look at some point. ^_^

Update us with the case lights. I have this like anti theft thing in the back of my CM storm Scout 2 I imagine would be easy to fit the cord through.

What section did you find these in btw?

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

Yesssssssss no problem  :D

Here we go. Sorry that I can't just embed this, but I decided to just take a recording. Hopefully this will suffice :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAqC0gcCAlQ

yea itll decrease eye strain and increase perceived contrast by lowering the contrast between the monitor and its surroundings.

yea itll decrease eye strain and increase perceived contrast by lowering the contrast between the monitor and its surroundings.

Neat, thanks for the info!

Antec actually makes strips for such an application powered off USB or 5v. I have white on all of my monitors and TVs. If its quite dim or dark and they're not on now it just seems weird. 

Antec actually makes strips for such an application powered off USB or 5v. I have white on all of my monitors and TVs. If its quite dim or dark and they're not on now it just seems weird. 

Here are some links to Antec's offerings:

Monitor size: http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Halo-LED-Bias-Lighting/dp/B0053B347M/ (I recommend 2 for 23-24in monitors, and have 4 on my 27in but 3 would probably do)

TV size: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007TG5EG8/ (I have 2 on my ~40on TV but a friend just got one and it covers it fine)

Please remember to lower the brightness of your TVs and monitors. Its blindingly bright and usually washes out colors if you dont lower it. Also place the strips as close to the edge of your monitor without covering up any air vents or button and what not.