Is Final Fantasy: A Realm Reborn worth it?

TopWargamer

I have yet to get into a FF game (I know, I know, I'm disappointed with myself as well), so I was thinking about playing the newest FF, A Realm Reborn. I know it's an MMO. I've been hearing some mixed things about it, but generally it sounds good across the board.

So have any fo you played A Realm Reborn? If so, how is it?

COMIC SANS

According to my pals, yeah, it's worth it!

Not played it myself though

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

It supposed to be far better than the original XIV.

I was in the beta for PC / PS3 simultaneously, but I never played it.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

No speech from NPCs killed it for me.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

No speech from NPCs killed it for me.

A Silent Realm Reborn :P

Intel 4790k • Asus Z97-A • Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce • G.Skill 1866 4GBx2 • Corsair HX850W PSU • Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler • Intel 530 120GB SSD(OS) • 1TB HDD(Games) • Cooler Master HAF 912 • Logitech G15 Key • Razer Abyssus Mouse • Asus 24in 144hz VG248QE

It supposed to be far better than the original XIV.

I was in the beta for PC / PS3 simultaneously, but I never played it.

i was chosen for the beta too but only for ps3. did not play though.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

I was a beta tester. You will enjoy it if, and only if, you love grinding. Get used to it. The thing is a grind fest. 

If you decide you do not want to play it, play Final Fantasy Tactics one way or another. There are multiple remakes of that game. The sequel on the PSP was meh, so I would not bother with it. 

Eventually, if you want to play the "best of" in regards to the FF series, play I, II, III, IV, VII, Tactics, VIII, and X. Those are the ones I consider good in regards to the FF games. They have been remade plenty of times (except everything after 4, for now), so it should not be hard to find a place to play them. Sequels to numbered games in the FF series are things you want to avoid. They tend to suck. Examples being Tactics A2, FF X-2, XIII-2 etc. Prequels tend to be good imo though, like VII:Crisis Core. Dirge of Cerberus was an exception. I liked that one even if it was weird. 

5, 6, 9, and 11-13 are very meh to me. Others will disagree. Tis life. 12 was ok, I almost beat it, but 13 is the game that I consider to be the worst of the franchise. I spent 40 hours running down a hall, and got nothing for it aside from some pretty scenery and boringly slow story. 

Of all the Final Fantasies, I am forever split between calling I, IV, and Tactics "The best Final Fantasy". I heavily lean towards the first ever Final Fantasy because it's story was amazing, especially for it's time, but even then, I cannot completely discount Tactics or IV from that. All of them are great for different reasons. 

For the controversial people, VII was good. It is not the best to me, and it was not the worst either, but it was definitely good.

But yeah. ... I have played all of them in some capacity (enough to have an opinion of it), and completed many of them. 

If you have done all that, play the Dissidia series if you can. That thing is awesome. Pure, unadulterated, awesome.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Crisis Core was a great game. 

Played X, enjoyed it. X-2 was awful.

Didn't play XI

Played XII. Was really fun, very different. Very long.

Played XIII. Short, fun, different. Probably second favorite behind VII. Didn't play XIII-2 fully. XIII-3 / Lighting Returns will probably be bad.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

I just bought Realm Reborn tonight and leveled to 5 or so, it's a really, really pretty world, the voice acting that is there is really good, I wish there was a lot more though.

I just bought Realm Reborn tonight and leveled to 5 or so, it's a really, really pretty world, the voice acting that is there is really good, I wish there was a lot more though.

Agreed. You would think with SE's kind of resources, Voice Acting would be a lot more prevalent. *sigh*

It would be nice if that is what some of the money that the game brings in would be aimed at. Improving that kind of stuff.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Im still playing FF ARR. I enjoy it... i love how (on my server atleast) the community is very helpful. Like i had an issue finding an NPC for a quest (turns out she was in some underground place i didnt know about) and all i did was shout on the map and many people actually sent me PM's and one guy was even kind enough to show me where the NPC was. 

When i play a game, i have to love the game, but i also have to feel like i can ask something.

~~Korindo~~

Cubitek Mini ITX Build : - Cubitek Mini Cube - ASUS Z87i-Pro - Intel 4770K - 16gb G.Skill Ares 1866mhz -

- Samsung 840 500gb SSD x 2 - Noctua NH-L12 Cooler - Silverstone 550 watt Strider Gold PSU - Galaxy GeForce GTX Titan -

I agree with this too, on my Server I see questions asked and answered almost instantly with smiley faces, no retarded arguing in general/trade, I'm a fan.

If you've played WoW or any of the same style MMOs before, you know what to expect. What I felt set FFXIV:ARR apart from other "WoW clones/killer" was the polish. Aside from the massive server load at launch there are not any major bugs or performance issues. It runs flawlessly and looks great too. The gameplay has nothing to be ashamed of, but it offers nothing new and exciting. The game also does very good job at tutoring and helping you learn how to do things (even though it is clear many people just skip all the advice the game gives) and I myself never felt lost when I started.

The leveling process is the usual do quests and run dungeons. If your goal is to do all the quests and dungeons, the time to reach max level is a bit longer than most previous "big MMOs". If you maximize your experience gain by doing FATEs (dynamic open world quests) it will shorten the time considerably. Since one character can be every class, any additional classes after the first will be out of quests and forced to farm FATEs or dungeons, which can feel a grind and get boring fast. Crafting classes are nicely dynamic and interactive compared to most other MMOs, but can feel very tedious and time consuming, especially gathering classes.

End game is once again well polished but the usual grind for dungeon gear and currency to get better gear to do bigger and harder content. There are currently three party sizes, four and eight man for "normal" dungeons and 24 man for raids. There are a few tiers of gear in the game currently at the max level. There is one raid divided into five wings available and another raid instance coming soon. Overall the difficulty is slightly harder than average.

PvP is not in the game yet but it is coming soon.

I would easily recommend it to anyone who enjoys the "classic" style MMOs. To me, it is the first MMO since WoW that I feel like I really like and can see myself playing for a long time.

TL;DR: Very well polished and fun MMO but offers nothing new to veteran MMO players.

TL;DR: Very well polished and fun MMO but offers nothing new to veteran MMO players.

Well i do agree with most things you said aside from the "nothing new" yes 80% of the game is old stuff that we all have seen before but the rest? eh, ill just point out some stuff i have atleast never seen.

1: The class system, sure FF 11 had something similar but not to the same extend, and it didn't work the same way either. But we could change class. Phantasy star Universe had something Similar but it resembled FF11 more.

2: The way we Craft Things, normally its either a bar and timer or just some animations. 

3: Armoury chest: Love it, and i cant thing of any game that had anything similar at all.

Wow..dammit i actually forgot the rest, too much work in mind i guess, anyways even if i dont remember them all, there are few things in FFXIV:ARR that sets the game apart from other MMOs

but yeah the biggest cons i have with it is the grinding and that it is less "open world" compared to 1.0 Version of FFXIV. that and not enough weapons!!! you can never have enough  of weapons!

I was a beta tester. You will enjoy it if, and only if, you love grinding. Get used to it. The thing is a grind fest. 

If you decide you do not want to play it, play Final Fantasy Tactics one way or another. There are multiple remakes of that game. The sequel on the PSP was meh, so I would not bother with it. 

Eventually, if you want to play the "best of" in regards to the FF series, play I, II, III, IV, VII, Tactics, VIII, and X. Those are the ones I consider good in regards to the FF games. They have been remade plenty of times (except everything after 4, for now), so it should not be hard to find a place to play them. Sequels to numbered games in the FF series are things you want to avoid. They tend to suck. Examples being Tactics A2, FF X-2, XIII-2 etc. Prequels tend to be good imo though, like VII:Crisis Core. Dirge of Cerberus was an exception. I liked that one even if it was weird. 

5, 6, 9, and 11-13 are very meh to me. Others will disagree. Tis life. 12 was ok, I almost beat it, but 13 is the game that I consider to be the worst of the franchise. I spent 40 hours running down a hall, and got nothing for it aside from some pretty scenery and boringly slow story. 

Of all the Final Fantasies, I am forever split between calling I, IV, and Tactics "The best Final Fantasy". I heavily lean towards the first ever Final Fantasy because it's story was amazing, especially for it's time, but even then, I cannot completely discount Tactics or IV from that. All of them are great for different reasons. 

For the controversial people, VII was good. It is not the best to me, and it was not the worst either, but it was definitely good.

But yeah. ... I have played all of them in some capacity (enough to have an opinion of it), and completed many of them. 

If you have done all that, play the Dissidia series if you can. That thing is awesome. Pure, unadulterated, awesome.

I too was a beta tester alongside my buddy @BoxPossum but the thing that really ,and I mean really , threw me from it is the fact that there is no PvP - an MMO without PvP to me is like a cake without the sugar ._. everything is there but there's just something tiny missing and I personally live for PvP as in my opinion it requires a lot more skill in comparison to PvE and without it I pretty much can't play most games ^_^

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

I too was a beta tester alongside my buddy @BoxPossum but the thing that really ,and I mean really , threw me from it is the fact that there is no PvP - an MMO without PvP to me is like a cake without the sugar ._. everything is there but there's just something tiny missing and I personally live for PvP as in my opinion it requires a lot more skill in comparison to PvE and without it I pretty much can't play most games ^_^

Oh, PVP is coming to XIV. It just is not ready yet. It is a planned feature that is on the near horizon. Come back and try it again when it is released.

† Christian Member †

Oh, PVP is coming to XIV. It just is not ready yet. It is a planned feature that is on the near horizon. Come back and try it again when it is released.

I probably will xD when I can run it that is - I'll more than likely save up for like a month of so game time for when I get my PC, my ex-GF's mum played FFXI religously and I think it was pretty damn good :P so FFXIV is probably going to be the WoW killer for me.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball