İs 4gb's of ram enough for a casual gamer

^^title says it all^^

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

^^title says it all^^

Depends which game. You ain't running Crysis 3 or Battlefield 3 with 4GB RAM too well.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

It really depends what you mean by casual. Like lightly playing games like BF3, you really want to aim for 8. But if you're just playing facebook games and shit like that, 4GB is enough.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ Stock, CPU cooler: Dark Rock 4, Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX, RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 @ 3000Mhz, GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0, SSD: Crucial P1 1TB M.2 + 2x120GB SSDs, Case: Corsair 110R, PSU: Corsair TX650M, OS: Windows 10 64-bit.

I would say 8GB has become the new standard, but it really depends on the types of games you are playing as @Dravic mentioned. 

Case = Bitfenix Prodigy, Motherboard = P8Z77 - I Deluxe, CPU = 3570k @ 4.2GHz, RAM = 2x 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws, GPU = Sapphire 7950 Boost Edition, Storage = 256GB Samsung 840 Pro.

RAM is so cheap, that if you really can't afford to have more than 4gb in your build, it's not going to be the problem.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Yes, but no.

In theory you wouldn't need more than 4 GB for the games that are available right now, but you would be shooting yourself in the foot if you went with "just enough right now" in a new build as tech moves really fast. You will quickly realize that you should have just wen't with 8 GB and saved yourself the hassle and the headache. Do yourself a favor and get 8 GB. It's not even that expensive, and you will be good to go for quite some time and won't have to worry about it.

RAM is so cheap, that if you really can't afford to have more than 4gb in your build, it's not going to be the problem.

its not for me im planing on bulding a PC for a friend and his budget is really tight so im trying to cut it where ever i can :)

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

its not for me im planing on bulding a PC for a friend and his budget is really tight so im trying to cut it where ever i can :)

That's what I mean, if you can't spend the extra 30$ for 8gb of RAM, something else in your system is going to be your bottleneck. 

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

That's what I mean, if you can't spend the extra 30$ for 8gb of RAM, something else in your system is going to be your bottleneck. 

it looks like this:

ASUS M5A78L SAPPHIRE HD7850 PATRIOT 8GB GAMER II DDR3 1333MHZ AMD FX X8 8320

It's enough, but if you can afford 8Gigs it's better to have 8

I think it should be fine for any 32bit games as long as your not running a ton of stuff in the background as most people do when their gaming. Where are you even going to get a 4gb set anymore though thats actually intended to be used with any semi recent system.

yes it is enough.however for bf3 multiplayer 64 maps get 8.it runs fine but sometimes it drops frames with 4

you can never have too much ram....

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

Depends which game. You ain't running Crysis 3 or Battlefield 3 with 4GB RAM too well.

It really depends what you mean by casual. Like lightly playing games like BF3, you really want to aim for 8. But if you're just playing facebook games and shit like that, 4GB is enough.

Think about it. If the games you mentioned are casual, what then would be hardcore?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Think about it. If the games you mentioned are casual, what then would be hardcore?

maybe starcraft 2, cs go, and dota 2. Idk im just trying to think of games some might cinsider harder core.

you can never have too much ram....

This is true but there does become a point when you stop benefiting from more.

i think 6gb is the min these days... 8gb is the standard

Character artist in the Games industry.

Personally I see hardcore versus casual as the way you play and not what you play. For instance, I play Battlefield, Halo, Mass Effect and many other games but I don't consider myself hardcore at all as I play them for fun, not competitively. Also I think what defines a hardcore and a casual gamer is how you want to run it. Do you want 3 screen split with 120 fps avg. or do you play on a single 1080P monitor with 45 fps avg.

4Gb RAM is enough for the casual gamer. When you say casual I assume you don't mind turning down a few knobs to get desired framerate and I assume you will not consider any GPU more expensive than a 7850.

Perhaps if you post the specs you are considering for the build, your definition of "casual gamer" and your friends expectations with the build we can make an estimation based on the combined set of information.  ;)

Then again, 4 GB extra ram will do nothing for your frame rates, but 1 GB too little will do something to your frame rates definitely. It's a package solution really. If the other hardware parts are up there, you might as well get 8 GB. If they are not, it hardly matters anyway.

It's enough if you aren't playing anything that intensive (fc3, ps2, and so forth), but if you're building a completely new system, I'd go for 8 gigs, will be more futureproof and what not.

And because a casual gamer probably doesn't want to mess around with the settings of games, it's just easier to go with 8gb.

Perhaps if you post the specs you are considering for the build, your definition of "casual gamer" and your friends expectations with the build we can make an estimation based on the combined set of information.  ;)

Then again, 4 GB extra ram will do nothing for your frame rates, but 1 GB too little will do something to your frame rates definitely. It's a package solution really. If the other hardware parts are up there, you might as well get 8 GB. If they are not, it hardly matters anyway.

Well said, it's the same case with GPUs vRAM. 2GB enough for 1080p today, but if there is a game that uses 200mb over the limit... oh gawd framerates drop and you will have to crank down textures.

][ CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t @3,7GHz ][ GPU: GTX 660 2GB ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 8GB @1450Mhz CL9 DDR3 ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: SilentiumPC Regnum L50 ][ CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo & Arctic MX4 ][