GTX 960 4gb vs R9 380 4gb

MajorGoob
Go to solution Solved by don_svetlio,
1 minute ago, MajorGoob said:

Thanks! I wanted the 380 as I knew it had better performance, but I read something that said the R9 380 was better paired with higher end cpus. And im not all that excited for pascal. It doesnt seem to offer huge performance boosts for more price. They need to be more competitive with their prices to be honest.

Nah, R9 380 is fine for your system. Go for it and enjoy the performance :)

So, I have an AMD FX-8300 processor and wanted to know if the GTX 960 4gb was better paired with the processor. The Sapphire R9 380 is priced around the same amount, but I am concerned that the 8300 will bottleneck the higher performance GPU the 380 has over that of the 960. Thanks in advance.

NOTE: I know Pascal is coming soon, I dont really care. 

ERROR: VAR_TRAINOFTHOUGHT RETURN CHAR(MISSING)

RESTART  BRAINTHOUGHTS_MAJORGOOB.EXE?

Y                             N

~               

I dont think the fx 8300 is gonna bottleneck the r9 380. And besides, then you can get free retweet from AMD if you send a "Full AMD Gaming PC" pic.

So, I have an AMD FX-8300 processor and wanted to know if the GTX 960 4gb was better paired with the processor. The Sapphire R9 380 is priced around the same amount, but I am concerned that the 8300 will bottleneck the higher performance GPU the 380 has over that of the 960. Thanks in advance.

It depends on the game, where single threaded performance is the biggest factor the 960 will perform slightly better or on par with the 380. For heavily threaded games the 380 will most likely pull ahead.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

Just now, MajorGoob said:

Wait for pasc.....nah im just kidding

Get the R9 380....it gives marginally better performance

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler

R9 380 have higher raw performance then the GTX 960

BUT, it also has higher cpu overhead in DX11 games

your cpu is not that strong so i suggest going with GTX 960 instead

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, I am an SSD said:

Wait for pasc.....nah im just kidding

Get the R9 380....it gives marginally better performance

2 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

It depends on the game, where single threaded performance is the biggest factor the 960 will perform slightly better or on par with the 380. For heavily threaded games the 380 will most likely pull ahead.

2 minutes ago, HydraGaming said:

I dont think the fx 8300 is gonna bottleneck the r9 380. And besides, then you can get free retweet from AMD if you send a "Full AMD Gaming PC" pic.

4 minutes ago, GeorgeKellow said:

Don't make the 'mistake' I did. go with a r9 380 :) Faster than the 960 

Thanks! I wanted the 380 as I knew it had better performance, but I read something that said the R9 380 was better paired with higher end cpus. And im not all that excited for pascal. It doesnt seem to offer huge performance boosts for more price. They need to be more competitive with their prices to be honest.

~               

Nah, R9 380 is fine for your system. Go for it and enjoy the performance :)

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Why not go with the R9 380x ? its the same price of the 960 4GB here ... and waaay better performance 

Let's agree to disagree

22 minutes ago, MrTiC said:

Why not go with the R9 380x ? its the same price of the 960 4GB here ... and waaay better performance 

I dont know where you live, but the 380x in the southeastern united states when shipped from California is at least 60 USD more. Sometimes 80. I am talking about sale price on the regular R9 380, its almost always on sale for 160-175.

~               

5 minutes ago, MajorGoob said:

I dont know where you live, but the 380x in the southeastern united states when shipped from California is at least 60 USD more. Sometimes 80. I am talking about sale price on the regular R9 380, its almost always on sale for 160-175.

get the R9 380...it's faster and your CPU will feed it just fine.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

On 25-4-2016 at 9:10 PM, MajorGoob said:

Belgium, they are both 249.90 euro here 

But in youre case i would go with the 380

Let's agree to disagree

On 4/25/2016 at 1:28 PM, MajorGoob said:

i bought a 960.... wish i hadnt get the r9 380

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

5 hours ago, MrTiC said:

Belgium, they are both 249.90 euro here 

But in youre case i would go with the 380

Ah. Belgium... Love Europe... Would most certainly live anywhere in Northern/Central Europe over anywhere in America. Its just so much nicer up there. Thanks for the help!

~