Do ohms = sound quality?

The Sennheiser Game Zeros were first released having 150 ohms, however, this was supposedly too much for phones and some computers to handle at full quality, so Sennheiser updated the headphones to 50 ohms. However, I was told that with the old 150 ohm model, the sound quality was flat and not very good when used on a device not able to manage 150 ohms, and that when used -then- on a device that -can- manage, the sound quality improved drastically. So does that mean that on the new 50 ohm model the sound quality will always be flat and not very good as the old 150 ohm model was on non-qualified devices?

I don't know much about sound or headphones, but I hope at least some of that made sense. If not please comment with a question or confusions and I'll try to clear it up.

Thanks in advance.

No, ohms does not relate to sound quality.  It does related to the amount of energy an amplifier can transfer from its circuitry to the speaker device.  Per the Maximum Power Transfer theorem, power transfer is maximized when Z(output) = Z(input). 

24 minutes ago, Spiffeye said:

The Sennheiser Game Zeros were first released having 150 ohms, however, this was supposedly too much for phones and some computers to handle at full quality, so Sennheiser updated the headphones to 50 ohms. However, I was told that with the old 150 ohm model, the sound quality was flat and not very good when used on a device not able to manage 150 ohms, and that when used -then- on a device that -can- manage, the sound quality improved drastically. So does that mean that on the new 50 ohm model the sound quality will always be flat and not very good as the old 150 ohm model was on non-qualified devices?

I don't know much about sound or headphones, but I hope at least some of that made sense. If not please comment with a question or confusions and I'll try to clear it up.

Thanks in advance.

Ohm resistance can play a part of sound quality ,

For example : I have the hyperX cloud gaming headset , That headphones ohm is rated at 80 ohms,

If i was to only drive 50 ohms , I could hear the mids and highs and the lows it but i would need to crack up the volume ( aka send more power ) , And sense i am driving it 50 ohms , The lower end or the bass end will be floppy and bit muddy, In this case , The hyperX clouds bass will be muddy and floppy , I don't know what will be the sennies g4me 0 situation is.

If i was to drive it to full 80 ohms, The base would clean up and become much tighter and better.

If you understood this please reply.

(⌐■_■) 

Usually the problem with poor audio quality and/or speaker saturation is that of having *too small* of an amplifier, or ineffective power transfer from the amplifier to the receiver (ie: headphones, speakers, etc.).  So by matching to the 50 ohm amplifier output impedance, while keeping the same "size" of amplifier, the probability of clipping/amplifier saturation is lower.  Hence, better sound, especially in operating regimes that put a lot of energy into lower harmonics* for which impedance is already minimal. 

Of course, clipping is bad under all circumstances, and left unchecked and if excessive, will destroy the speakers/headphones.

* in more colloquial language, this is called "bass".

11 minutes ago, Ridska said:

For example : I have the hyperX cloud gaming headset , That headphones ohm is rated at 80 ohms,

If i was to only drive 50 ohms , I could hear the mids and highs and the lows it but i would need to crack up the volume ( aka send more power ) , And sense i am driving it 50 ohms , The lower end or the bass end will be floppy and bit muddy, In this case , The hyperX clouds base will be muddy and floppy , I don't know what will be the sennies g4me 0 situation is.

If i was to drive it to full 80 ohms, The base would clean up and become much tighter and better.

bass not base

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Just now, ZetZet said:

bass not base

Thanks for pointing out my spelling mistake.

(⌐■_■) 

Oh boy.

Heavy misinformation and perpetuation of excessive preoccupation with impedance incoming.

ROFL I think we have corvered this many times.... The really simple answer is no.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

24 minutes ago, SSL said:

Oh boy.

Heavy misinformation and perpetuation of excessive preoccupation with impedance incoming.

I personally came for the impedance=resistance misconception. Wasn't disappointed. :D

no, NO and NO

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

19 minutes ago, Pomfinator said:

I blame Beyerdynamic for this.

So god damn true xD 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

To push back against what the first few people have responded with, no, it's unlikely that a lower impedance version of a headphone will sound different due to the difference in impedance. But it's possible the designer changed the way it sounds on purpose. When you lack the needed current/voltage you don't get missing bass or some vague bass problem, you get clipping. Try increasing the gain option in Audacity while playing a piece of music to see what clipping can sound like.

A higher impedance headphone can be more immune to some amp problems such as a high output impedance.

Sighted evaluation explains the rest of the differences people claim (in other words, expectation bias) because their observations don't align with how these things work.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

3 hours ago, Ridska said:

If i was to only drive 50 ohms , I could hear the mids and highs and the lows it but i would need to crack up the volume ( aka send more power ) , And sense i am driving it 50 ohms , The lower end or the bass end will be floppy and bit muddy, In this case , The hyperX clouds bass will be muddy and floppy , I don't know what will be the sennies g4me 0 situation is.

Lol wut

4 hours ago, Ridska said:

No, that's not all how it works. You won't be "running a 80 ohm headphone at 50 ohms". Your phone or computer does not output ohms, first because ohms are a measurement, not a thing, and because that's just not how it works.

3 hours ago, Naeaes said:

I personally came for the impedance=resistance misconception. Wasn't disappointed. :D

I'm unclear on the difference between the two. Mind clearing it up?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

4 minutes ago, spwath said:

No, that's not all how it works. You won't be "running a 80 ohm headphone at 50 ohms". Your phone or computer does not output ohms, first because ohms are a measurement, not a thing, and because that's just not how it works.

Then either my explanation is unclear or misguided.

So tell me , How does it work then ?

(⌐■_■) 

1 minute ago, Ridska said:

Then either my explanation is unclear or misguided.

So tell me , How does it work then ?

Impedance of the headphones is measured in ohms. This determines how hard it is to drive, electrically. However,a more important factor for determining if the appropriate volume Will be reached is sensitivity. So for the most part, one can ignore Impedance. 

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Just now, spwath said:

Impedance of the headphones is measured in ohms. This determines how hard it is to drive, electrically. However,a more important factor for determining if the appropriate volume Will be reached is sensitivity. So for the most part, one can ignore Impedance. 

But ignoring impedance can be a mistake as well.

The only time i can ignore the impedance is when the impedance is rated at 32 ohms. With the impedance like that , Any sorce can drive the headphone.

Here is an extreme example : If i was to buy the sennie HD 800 and just ignore the impedence and just plug it in my mobos audio female jack with an addapter , Would the mobo power it ?

No , becasue the impedence is rated at 300 ohms.

(⌐■_■) 

6 minutes ago, Ridska said:

But ignoring impedance can be a mistake as well.

The only time i can ignore the impedance is when the impedance is rated at 32 ohms. With the impedance like that , Any sorce can drive the headphone.

Here is an extreme example : If i was to buy the sennie HD 800 and just ignore the impedence and just plug it in my mobos audio female jack with an addapter , Would the mobo power it ?

No , becasue the impedence is rated at 300 ohms.

Most motherboards can power 300 ohm and the better ones can power 600 ohm.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

Most motherboards can power 300 ohm and the better ones can power 600 ohm.

Then why deos amps exisit if is such as the case ?

(⌐■_■) 

Just now, Ridska said:

Then why deos amps exisit if is such as the case ?

Because Ohm is not the whole story, infact it is a very little part of the story.

Without a amp you would not have any sound :P 

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

Because Ohm is not the whole story, infact it is a very little part of the story.

Without a amp you would not have any sound :P 

Well'p , Im dummer than i thought.

Back to the drawing table then.

(⌐■_■) 

1 minute ago, Ridska said:

Nah most people just think Ohm is the most important thing.

3 minutes ago, Ridska said:

In my siggy there is a thread that looks at this.

BTW, Ohm sounds like some kind of Buddhist chant.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

1 minute ago, Dark_wizzie said:

BTW, Ohm sounds like some kind of Buddhist chant.

LOL I have never thought of that.