Alienware laptops are too expensive

I went to the Alienware laptop site and found that a laptop with an i5 and Nvidia Geforce GTX 960m 2GB GDDR5 and it's 999 GBP when I can easily buy a Dell Insipron 7000 series and get an i7 with a 960m 4 GB GDDR5 for 800 $ which is really insane when you look at the price/performance I was considering to buy an alienware as I heard a lot from it but if I'm paying for the price and the looks and specially for that much when I can pay way less for better performance but just a standard laptop look I will go for the standard as I don't have enough money to pay for Alienware so does anyone know any cheap Alienware laptops with at least a 860m because I'm still considering it but why would people buy an alienware if they can get better performance for a cheaper price?

3 minutes ago, DarthVader61425 said:

I went to the Alienware laptop site and found that a laptop with an i5 and Nvidia Geforce GTX 960m 2GB GDDR5 and it's 999 GBP when I can easily buy a Dell Insipron 7000 series and get an i7 with a 960m 4 GB GDDR5 for 800 $ which is really insane when you look at the price/performance I was considering to buy an alienware as I heard a lot from it but if I'm paying for the price and the looks and specially for that much when I can pay way less for better performance but just a standard laptop look I will go for the standard as I don't have enough money to pay for Alienware so does anyone know any cheap Alienware laptops with at least a 860m because I'm still considering it but why would people buy an alienware if they can get better performance for a cheaper price?

Build a desktop. A desktop is always better for gaming. :) 

I personally bought an Alienware in the past, they are good laptops, but they are getting hot really fast. So if you don't want to spend your money on the brand name, buy from another company. But still, build a desktop.

Edited by Fourmi Kill3r

Just now, Fourmi Kill3r said:

Build a desktop. A desktop is always better for gaming. :) 

I would but I really need the portability of a laptop as I stay in hotels most of time and travel by plane a lot.

because most people are uninformed, they expect the alienware to outperform other normal looking devices

its how the computer industry makes money anyway

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I remember wanting an Alienware when i was in year 5 because it looked really cool 

now looking back I would never get one. 

An alienware is so damn bulky and all the lights and flamboyant chassis makes me wanna hurl

Okay so all the replies I'm getting is that Alienware is only for the looks but not for performance? But is the plastic on the other laptops okay to last and if yes, how long?

1 minute ago, DarthVader61425 said:

Okay so all the replies I'm getting is that Alienware is only for the looks but not for performance? But is the plastic on the other laptops okay to last and if yes, how long?

Yes they last l

Cant tell how long but they surely last long

10 minutes ago, DarthVader61425 said:

SNIP

The Dell is £825, so there isnt that much different, you are comparing a 13" laptop with a 15" laptop too

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Inspiron-i7559-763BLK-Full-HD-Keyboard/dp/B015PYYDMQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1461335316&sr=8-2&keywords=dell+7559

Alienware are "premium brand" so you will pay a good amount more than another brand

The Dell 7559 is pretty unique in its price/performance, nothing else really comes close, maybe the lenovo T50 for £899

but price to performance is only ONE factor when choosing a laptop, size, weight, battery life, etc are all important too

Dont forget the AW 13 has like up to 12 hours of battery life, and over 2 hours of battery life at full load which is awesome

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Just now, ShadowCaptain said:

The Dell is £825, so there isnt that much different, you are comparing a 13" laptop with a 15" laptop too

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Inspiron-i7559-763BLK-Full-HD-Keyboard/dp/B015PYYDMQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1461335316&sr=8-2&keywords=dell+7559

Alienware are "premium brand" so you will pay a good amount more than another brand

The Dell 7559 is pretty unique in its price/performance, nothing else really comes close, maybe the lenovo T50 for £899

but price to performance is only ONE factor when choosing a laptop, size, weight, battery life, etc are all important too

Dont forget the AW 13 has like 11 hours of battery life

Yeah but I don't really look at the battery life as in any laptops I'm always charging them to get the full performance and pretty much any laptop whether it's a gaming laptop or not can handle youtube and light browsing without being connected to the charger and still last a couple of hours on a full charge.

15 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Because alien ware is like (old) beats

No one buys them for specs, they buy them for bragging rights.

MSi/Asus/Orion/Dell/Gigabyte

makes great laptops

People still buy beats just for the bragging rights, but the fad has died down to a point where they haven't advertised Beats in forever. 

But yeah, Alienware laptops (the cheap ones) are NOT a good value. Honestly, the bigger ones aren't too bad, other than having cheaper laptops that are better from other manufacturers. 

I used to be quite active here.

try one of the Aus ROG laptops they are cheaper and more laptop-like compared to Alienware beasts.

Spoiler

Nearly anything in the Dell catalogue (including the Alienware stuff) can be bought for significant discounts by calling them up.  So don't think for a moment that you have to pay "list".  Having said that, "gaming" laptops are usually poor choices except for a very small niche of situations, and I generally agree with most of the other posters. 

I cant say for the other sizes, but the 17inch r3 seems to be of decent value.

Doing a quick check I cant really find a 17 incher from other brands of the current gen line ups that equip a GTX 970m because you end up paying around 1350 USD

for the base model 1080p 6700HQ 970m 8gb ram 1TB HDD no SSD and for that price it is about average. and most others in that range only 960m but i guess compensate with ram or ssds and what not. But relative value it isn't bad. Plus its relatively thin if that means anything.

Added bonus, while not subdued by any means its less garish somehow than the m17x was. I guess its the vents and stuff but yeah.

EDIT: So I did a simple check on a bunch of sites and yeah 6th gen(which i limited to because older gen processors may have price reductions just becuase they're "old") Under 1500 USD with the kind of specs Alienware actually provided the cheapest model (it did have less ram though 8gb vs 16gb) but basically it was that and MSI GE72s so it does provide decent value in relation to other brands 

Edited by FaceEstrella
Additional info/context