Building a budget gaming pc (My first pc)

Go to solution Solved by Aereldor,

@Shimith2008- think you can spend about 300-500 Krona more and get this? It'll destroy almost anything at 1080p.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 845 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£50.82 @ Ebuyer) 
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi A70U3P Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  (£34.49 @ Ebuyer) 
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£23.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£35.80 @ CCL Computers) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card  (£159.98 @ Novatech) 
Case: BitFenix Nova ATX Mid Tower Case  (£26.99 @ Novatech) 
Power Supply: Super Flower Golden Green HX 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  (£49.06 @ CCL Computers) 
Monitor: Hannspree HE225DPB 21.5" Monitor  (£76.92 @ CCL Computers) 
Total: £458.05
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-21 04:15 BST+0100

2 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

@Shimith2008- think you can spend about 300-500 Krona more and get this? It'll destroy almost anything at 1080p.

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 845 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£50.82 @ Ebuyer) 
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi A70U3P Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  (£34.49 @ Ebuyer) 
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£23.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£35.80 @ CCL Computers) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card  (£159.98 @ Novatech) 
Case: BitFenix Nova ATX Mid Tower Case  (£26.99 @ Novatech) 
Power Supply: Super Flower Golden Green HX 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  (£49.06 @ CCL Computers) 
Monitor: Hannspree HE225DPB 21.5" Monitor  (£76.92 @ CCL Computers) 
Total: £458.05
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-21 04:15 BST+0100

Thx a lot man. 

12 minutes ago, Shimith2008 said:

norway, denmark , uk . www.komplett.se that is the one i used. 

So if I'm getting the numbers correct 5000 Swedish Krona is roughly to 430 GBP?

Here's a build I'd recommend. What do you think @Aereldor? (Don't roast me pls thanks)

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  (£81.98 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  (£33.36 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (£34.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£35.80 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 380 4GB SOC Video Card  (£156.98 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  (£28.95 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£60.50 @ Kustom PCs)
Total: £432.55
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-21 04:19 BST+0100

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

6 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

So if I'm getting the numbers correct 5000 Swedish Krona is roughly to 430 GBP?

Here's a build I'd recommend. What do you think @Aereldor? (Don't roast me pls thanks)

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  (£81.98 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  (£33.36 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (£34.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£35.80 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 380 4GB SOC Video Card  (£156.98 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  (£28.95 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£60.50 @ Kustom PCs)
Total: £432.55
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-21 04:19 BST+0100

It's a decent build, but it could be improved.

The FX-6300 has very low IPC. I only picked an AMD CPU (not advisable now until Zen hits) because the Athlon X4 845 features the new, more efficient excavator cores that actually make it a fair bit faster in games, even though it only has four of them (which isn't a problem, seeing as that's all games use). 

I also picked a Super Flower PSU as they're just as good as SeaSonic, if not better, but their domain lies on the other side of the Atlantic. However, your power supply is still a great value choice, and it's modular to boot. Unfortunately, you did miss out on front-panel USB 3.0, which is necessary for speedy file transfers and can output more power to appliances like Smartphones for faster charging. From years of experience without any kind of Front-panel USB, I can tell you just how much it sucks to have to reach around to the back of your case to plug things in.

Lastly, you missed out on a monitor- which he says he needs. Everyone has peripherals lying around, but a monitor was something he even went as far to include a monitor in the build he linked in his first post. I've never heard of Hannspree monitors, but every site I went to, I was greeted with nothing but positive reviews. It appears to have decent colour depth even for a TN panel, ant at 22" and with a 5ms response time for just over £75? It had my recommendation in a heartbeat.

15 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Actually, you won't be getting performance as high as a 7850- not to mention, he can't use mods that increase the experience tenfold with no cost to performance (See the Super Turbo Lighting Mod my Essenthy Onigami for The Witcher 3), and the PS4 can only run that game at 792p at low-medium settings and no post-processing at 24-30FPS. That doesn't sound like what we got out of a 7850.

We're talking Witcher 3, not Ark: Survival Evolved. The PS4 renders it at 1080p according to Eurogamer, and patch 1.10 keeps things at 30 fps most of the time.

2 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

We're talking Witcher 3, not Ark: Sruvival Evolved. [url=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-05-12-witcher-3-on-xbox-one-uses-dynamic-scaling-to-boost-resolution]The PS4 renders it at 1080p according to Eurogamer[/url], and patch 1.10 keeps things at 30 fps most of the time.

I didn't know about the patch, but my rig (monitor and peripherals included) came to $600, and I get a consistent 60FPS at high, and at 1080p. That, and I've seen a GTX 750 Ti and even an R7 360 get 30FPS at 1080p with the same quality settings as the PS4, which runs the game at 30FPS (most of the time) at 792p. The Xbox One is at 900p, but doesn't perform as consistently. (Wait, is it the other way around? Either way, you get it).

9 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

It's a decent build, but it could be improved.

The FX-6300 has very low IPC. I only picked an AMD CPU (not advisable now until Zen hits) because the Athlon X4 845 features the new, more efficient excavator cores that actually make it a fair bit faster in games, even though it only has four of them (which isn't a problem, seeing as that's all games use). 

I also picked a Super Flower PSU as they're just as good as SeaSonic, if not better, but their domain lies on the other side of the Atlantic. However, your power supply is still a great value choice, and it's modular to boot. Unfortunately, you did miss out on front-panel USB 3.0, which is necessary for speedy file transfers and can output more power to appliances like Smartphones for faster charging. From years of experience without any kind of Front-panel USB, I can tell you just how much it sucks to have to reach around to the back of your case to plug things in.

Lastly, you missed out on a monitor- which he says he needs. Everyone has peripherals lying around, but a monitor was something he even went as far to include a monitor in the build he linked in his first post. I've never heard of Hannspree monitors, but every site I went to, I was greeted with nothing but positive reviews. It appears to have decent colour depth even for a TN panel, ant at 22" and with a 5ms response time for just over £75? It had my recommendation in a heartbeat.

Good points, I had no idea the new Athlon actually pulled ahead in games.

I saw the lack of USB 3.0, but I decided to penny-pinch like a madman and went with the board. :P

Was convenient since the Fractal design had no USB 3.0, but you beat me at it again. xD

God dammit. I swear I read the post carefully. :S

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

2 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

I didn't know about the patch, but my rig (monitor and peripherals included) came to $600, and I get a consistent 60FPS at high, and at 1080p. That, and I've seen a GTX 750 Ti and even an R7 360 get 30FPS at 1080p with the same quality settings as the PS4, which runs the game at 30FPS (most of the time) at 792p. The Xbox One is at 900p, but doesn't perform as consistently.

Where are you getting that the PS4 runs TWC3 at 792p? Even XB1 doesn't run it that low. You're running on high at 1080p with a 960 and an i3 and getting 60 fps? You haven't sniped a setting or two down to medium to achieve that? I run it at high with a few settings on ultra (eg ultra water, HBAO+ lighting) on a GTX 970 with a big vram overclock (it makes a big difference in TWC3) and with a Xeon E3-1231v3 and I can't lock to 60 fps at 1080p. But I haven't played the game since about 1.07, maybe 1.10 makes a big difference on pc too?

I didn't know about that mod you posted, thanks for showing it. It looks like it drastically improves the image quality around midday and in the dark bogs, but I wish it hadn't gotten rid of those amazing red hues you see on the ground around sunrise/sunset. That's one of the signature parts of TWC3's looks to me.

7 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

Good points, I had no idea the new Athlon actually pulled ahead in games.

I saw the lack of USB 3.0, but I decided to penny-pinch like a madman and went with the board. :P

Was convenient since the Fractal design had no USB 3.0, but you beat me at it again. xD

God dammit. I swear I read the post carefully. :S

Also, I'd be careful with Gigabyte's AMD cards, aside from their WINDFORCE branded GPUs. Their 390s had serious quality-control issues, which means lower-tier cards are even more likely to suffer from the same. In fact, they were behind even the infamous Powercolour cards for a bit.

Just now, Aereldor said:

Also, I'd be careful with Gigabyte's AMD cards, aside from their WINDFORCE branded GPUs. Their 390s had serious quality-control issues, which means lower-tier cards are even more likely to suffer from the same. In fact, they were behind even the infamous Powercolour cards for a bit.

Wow Gigabyte's 390s were worse than their 290s? I remember their Windforce 290 was so bad it was constantly on sale for $220 even before Black Friday in 2014.

PowerColor was awesome for R9 290s, but their 300 series is crap?

20 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Where are you getting that the PS4 runs TWC3 at 792p? Even XB1 doesn't run it that low. You're running on high at 1080p with a 960 and an i3 and getting 60 fps? You haven't sniped a setting or two down to medium to achieve that? I run it at high with a few settings on ultra (eg ultra water, HBAO+ lighting) on a GTX 970 with a big vram overclock (it makes a big difference in TWC3) and with a Xeon E3-1231v3 and I can't lock to 60 fps at 1080p. But I haven't played the game since about 1.07, maybe 1.10 makes a big difference on pc too?

I didn't know about that mod you posted, thanks for showing it. It looks like it drastically improves the image quality around midday and in the dark bogs, but I wish it hadn't gotten rid of those amazing red hues you see on the ground around sunrise/sunset. That's one of the signature parts of TWC3's looks to me.

I said medium-high. Also, there are settings that look super similar between low and ultra. Here's my configuration.

Ultra textures, ultra detail, ultra foliage render distance, ultra number of background characters, HBAO+, Anti-Aliasing, Blur (DoF). (Bloom doesn't hit performance but looks like junk). EVERYTHING else is on low, and for all my attempts, I can't notice the difference. I even blind-tested it with two of my friends, and had them do the same for me. Even zooming into screenshots, I'm hard-pressed to see what difference they make other than crippling performance.

With the STLM mod, I hit a stable 60FPS everywhere but Novigrad and Kaer Trolde, and this is with a GTX 960 at 1400 MHz boost. Turn down the ultra settings to high, and not only does it look identical at 1080p, but I never drop below 60FPS. 

Hacks- (I gained anywhere from 3 to 15 FPS from these).

• Delete the ApexClothing file in your Witcher 3 Directory. It disables GPU PhysX on armour- a setting that doesn't actually change anything, but forces your GPU to draw transparent effects or something.
  • Don't- I repeat, don't- force hardware Antialiasing, or anything Hairworks-related. It cripples NVidia GPUs as much as it does AMD cards.
  • If you aren't hitting your target, throw out the in-game AA and use the Reshade/SweetFX SMAA- it doesn't hit performance and looks the same.

With my settings and your hardware? 60FPS at 1440p, probably.

6 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Wow Gigabyte's 390s were worse than their 290s? I remember their Windforce 290 was so bad it was constantly on sale for $220 even before Black Friday in 2014.

PowerColor was awesome for R9 290s, but their 300 series is crap?

Powercolor isn't awful, but reviewers report a fair amount of DOA cards, and their RMA process is, purportedly, the worst in the industry.17% of newegg reviews for their PCS+ 390 scored it 1/5, either because of a DOA product, a terrible RMA process, being unable to install Taiwanese drivers, or some combination of the three.

9 hours ago, Aereldor said:

30 degrees celsius. Not 60. That's the operating temperature for the Corsair CX power supplies. No offense, but did you even read through my post? 

Furthermore, did you look at my build? It has midrange components and a very good budget power supply with excellent craftsmanship, high-quality capacitors on every rail, and much better temperature tolerance and electrical performance.

An 865k and a 950 aren't midrange. And here in Canada that PSU is almost 120 so I thought it would be to expensive. I hate Canada prices

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

4 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

An 865k and a 950 aren't midrange. And here in Canada that PSU is almost 120 so I thought it would be to expensive. I hate Canada prices

I think the 950 and 960 are midrange, but only in the 1080p class. I'd say a GTX 970 and an R9 390 are 'high-end' for a 1080p gaming rig, and anything above is overkill. The 970 and 390 are 'entry-level' for 1440p, the 390x and 980 being midrange, and the Fury X and the 980 Ti being 'high-end'. 

Yes, I have a silly way of looking at things, but I still wouldn't trust the CX series because of their 30 degrees Celsius rating alone. That, put together with the cheap components and sloppy craftsmanship (glue everywhere, shoddy soldering) makes for poor temperature tolerance, and the electrically (as per the benchmarks in the link I shared earlier), the power supply competes with either bundled units, or the cheapest tier of junk power supplies you can find on PCPartPicker.