Laptop Turns on but no display

julianspiteri

I have dell laptop which has been at me for quite a few years now. Last night, I put it on sleep and when I came to switch it back on this morning, the power button and indicator lights turned on, and the fan was spinning, but the display remained completely blank. I tried turning on with each stick of ram individually but it still didn't turn on. Also l, where usually pressing the power button would put the computer on sleep mode, it is now completely shutting down the computer when pressed. Also, it might be useful to know that I had replaced the HDD in the laptop with an ssd, and it has been running fine with the replacement for quite a few months now. Any help would be appreciated 

Hard to trouble shoot anything when you cant see the screen, do you have a spare monitor around that you could plug into it? 

^ strongly agree. 

“Does Yggdrasil drink from it because it is the Well of Wisdom, or is it the Well of Wisdom because Yggdrasil drinks from it?” 
― J. Aleksandr WoottonHer Unwelcome Inheritance

CPU Intel 6700k @4.7ghz  Motherboard Asus Rampage Formula VIII RAM 16gb (4x4) Corsair Dominator Platinums GPU Evga Hybrid 980ti

Case ThermalTake X71 Storage 512gb 950 Samsung M.2 PSU 1000Hxi Corsair Cooling 115i Corsair CLC 280mm
Operating System Windows 10 64bit

if I had it in my hands, I would be able to find out what is wrong, but since I dont have it in my hands, I can not help that much, but it could be the screen cable that is broken.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

No unfortunately I don't have a spare monitor, but when I plugged it into my TV via HDMI the tv did not detect the laptop

What were you doing when it did this? Also any experience opening laptops?

“Does Yggdrasil drink from it because it is the Well of Wisdom, or is it the Well of Wisdom because Yggdrasil drinks from it?” 
― J. Aleksandr WoottonHer Unwelcome Inheritance

CPU Intel 6700k @4.7ghz  Motherboard Asus Rampage Formula VIII RAM 16gb (4x4) Corsair Dominator Platinums GPU Evga Hybrid 980ti

Case ThermalTake X71 Storage 512gb 950 Samsung M.2 PSU 1000Hxi Corsair Cooling 115i Corsair CLC 280mm
Operating System Windows 10 64bit