Swiftech H220 Water Cooler Video Review

LinusTech

I'm going to keep this pretty short & sweet. Mostly because it's late and I'm tired.

Our chart for performance is linked here: http://tinyurl.com/bagtchs

We tested separately with two Swiftech H220s. I think part of the reason it's loud and can perform poorly out of the box is that the fans are not really as "beefy" as some aftermarket ones that are available, and the pump in SO beefy that it keeps circulating bubbles around the loop endlessly unless you turn it down, which can cause extra noise and affect performance of the pump itself.

Once we got this bad boy running correctly it really showed it's strength. It's more expensive than other all-in-one coolers, but with the exception of the fans which didn't impress us too much, this H220 uses DRAMATICALLY higher quality materials than any other pre-filled liquid cooling kit AND gives users the option to upgrade to a true enthusiast class custom loop in the future (more pumps reservoir, GPU blocks, radiators etc) if they want to.

So yeah, we initially were very disappointed, but we KNEW that we had to be doing something wrong, so once we figured it out, everything made much more sense. Hopefully you guys can help us spread the word about how to correctly optimize the H220 to make it the AIO liquid cooler performance king!

EDITOR'S CHOICE AWARD

That's what I was expecting and more :D Thank you Linus :)

Why is every time someone makes a cooler they include absolutely shit stock fans that make the product worthless as is

Sure performance is great with Noctua F12s but at $20 each on an already pricey $150 cooler, with tax that's $200+

At that price point, a custom loop would deliver better performance and sure the H220 is expandable

But realistically how many people are going to buy an overpriced cooler just to spend even more money on extra rads, blocks, fans, and tubing

3770k, Asrock Extreme 4, 16GB Dominator Plat, AX760i, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Seagate, Win 7 Home Prem 

For people complaining about spending extra on fans if your able to test the others with their stock fans it would show that the H220 is beast considering that I doubt the others will see the same 20 degree drop in temps (still astonished by that).

This makes me both very excited and angry. Angry because ive got a unopened h100i sitting next to me and excited obviously because it destroys everything else. Will definitely buy one in the future unless i pull the trigger on a custom loop before then. Nice review linus and co. :)

I'm glad to see someone who knows their stuff give this baby a test spin. After watching another review that said it underperformed compared to lowered end coolers, I figured something had to be wrong. This is a new type of product, I see it as Plug and Play+. It's a little more complicated than the simple AIO solutions on the market by the simple inclusion of expandability.

I'm sure there will be some naysayers that complain about the need to put the effort into setting it up properly to achieve the performance it can deliver. Crys of "Well the other AIOs are ready out of the box". While this is true, I think the ability to expand later is worth a little more initial setup. Besides if you're spending the extra money over the other solutions, why wouldn't you take the 10-15 minutes to benefit from the quality and workmanship that Swiftech put into it?

I didn't care for the H220 at first, but it's growing on me.

20,8C difference in load temp just by changing helix -> nf-f12... Damn...

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

Great review and nice to see the comparison of fans - especially as many of us in the watercooling section always go on about the need for proper static pressure to really optimize your whole solution. You can have the best rad and pump, but without good fans... Meh....

Great job guys.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

This video cleared some things recarding H220. I watched TTL's review earlier and was suprised how poorly it performed. But since TTL uses stock fans this video was more clear. I'd like to see how big diffirence fans stock vs noctua makes with H100i or some else also.

I think long tubing is there to add more placing options for rad. I guess you could install it to front or bottom also. And what about cube style cases? Good review.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Good quick review, thanks guys.

The fan comparison answered many lingering questions left from another reviewer (who's linked to your results like a legend :D).

be interesting to hear the thoughts from you guys in the live stream, speaking of which, it's question time I believe, now where's that thread...... ;)

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm
Most of this was from mining rig, hence the scewy specs (especially PSU)

Good quick review, thanks guys.

The fan comparison answered many lingering questions left from another reviewer (who's linked to your results like a legend :D).

be interesting to hear the thoughts from you guys in the live stream, speaking of which, it's question time I believe, now where's that thread...... ;)

Someone please delete. Server lagging like a 'insert rude but appropriate words', lost my comment and CBA to re-type/remember what I put.

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm

Nice review, good to see changing the fans fixes the issue. Anyone know if the block/pump 'cover' is removable? I want to make a custom face plate for it :)

Goes to show ya, what good fans can do! Great review Linus!

AMD Radeon R9 290X / AMD FX-8320 / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 / Samsung 830 128GB / Seagate 7200RPM 3TB / Corsair HX 850W / BitFenix Shinobi XL / CPU & GPU Watercooled - Thick Triple 360 Rad

such a cheaper alternative to a custom loop, I'm definitely getting this cooler.

I love these reviews, using the same fans on all radiators is a great idea to just test the radiator itself! About the stock fans tough:

Do they come pre-attached in a pull config? (If not might be worth testing them in Push)

What RPM where they tested at? (min speed according to the Swiftech site is 800 RPM)

According to the manufacturer specs the Noctua NF-F12s are better fans (pressure estimated using p2 = (rpm2/rpm1)2*p1 and flow using V2 = (rpm2/rpm1)*V1):

zummpd.png

2jfyqv9.png

such a cheaper alternative to a custom loop, I'm definitely getting this cooler.
Only if you just want to stick with just the CPU (and happy with a crappy pump in a noisy location and crappy fans) and don't like Corsair/NZXT.

As soon as you want to expand, the costs are going to level out as you're going to want a proper res (else it's going to be a pain to fill and bleed the loop), more tubing (where you're stuck with the size they've spec'd) more fittings (again, restriction on selection due to tubing size.. although I'm not sure on their size), additional rad and replacement pump as you'll probably be sick of the noise of that DDC style one....

Just fork out the extra £30 from the start and do watercooling the way it's meant to be done. Uniquely in your own style for your system!

Yes, I am annoyed that Swiftech appear to have botched their first entry to the AIO pre filled cooler market.

After Linus talk'd about "problems" with tests I'd like to add something to my previous post. Since both Linus and TTL got suprising bad results with stock fans, is this matter of bad optimization by Swiftech or build error? I mean that gamerkid (= person who goes for performance and doesn't know about mechanics) who buys this and get's bad results can't really be happy with buy. If this kind of diffirence with temps is thing with every unit, it's clearly major problem. I would think that reviewers got first batch with some issues that will be corrected on normal retail units.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Linus,

Is there any chance that you could throw the SP120s into the fan mix when you redo the testing for the H220, as they are a very common consumer choice. Thanks :)

You were a noob once too!

Linus,

Is there any chance that you could throw the SP120s into the fan mix when you redo the testing for the H220, as they are a very common consumer choice. Thanks :)

please do, i just bought a pair of sp120s for the price of 1 nf-f12, such a good price

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

• 1 month later...

I'm going to keep this pretty short & sweet. Mostly because it's late and I'm tired.

Our chart for performance is linked here: http://tinyurl.com/bagtchs

We tested separately with two Swiftech H220s. I think part of the reason it's loud and can perform poorly out of the box is that the fans are not really as "beefy" as some aftermarket ones that are available, and the pump in SO beefy that it keeps circulating bubbles around the loop endlessly unless you turn it down, which can cause extra noise and affect performance of the pump itself.

Once we got this bad boy running correctly it really showed it's strength. It's more expensive than other all-in-one coolers, but with the exception of the fans which didn't impress us too much, this H220 uses DRAMATICALLY higher quality materials than any other pre-filled liquid cooling kit AND gives users the option to upgrade to a true enthusiast class custom loop in the future (more pumps reservoir, GPU blocks, radiators etc) if they want to.

So yeah, we initially were very disappointed, but we KNEW that we had to be doing something wrong, so once we figured it out, everything made much more sense. Hopefully you guys can help us spread the word about how to correctly optimize the H220 to make it the AIO liquid cooler performance king!

EDITOR'S CHOICE AWARD

Linus did you know that on the sabertooth 990FX R2.0 & some other motherboard by Asus that the hose on memory side of Swiftech H220  blocks one of the memory slots. Swiftech said that they trying change AMD  mount to fix it . Could you put the word out when you hear when it is out,

If you already have some noctua's laying around you might as well use them, besides you can't even see them if you sandwich them between the rad and the case ;)