Improving CPU tempratures in a small aircooled rack case?

Go to solution Solved by Moonzy,
3 minutes ago, MrCravon said:

How much lower temperatures can I expect with the above mentioned Noctua fans over a stock Intel cooler? Will I be able to avoid thermal throttling even when running at 4430Mhz in benchmarks with any or all of those fans?

the L9i would perform almost like the stock cooler while the D9L would perform better

its never a good idea to OC in a SFF anyway

The Noctua fans come with so called "low noise adapters". Do I really need those when the fan is PWM controlled? Or it it only to limit the MAX RPM of the fan?

you can use it and pwm control it, it only limits how fast the fan can spin

though you never want to or even need to run noctua fans at their max speed anyway

4 minutes ago, MrCravon said:

Is there a significant reduction in fan noise in the Noctua fans over the stock Intel cooler?

performance per decibel, yes

My idle fan speed on the Intel cooler is around 1000RPM. Will the Noctua fans be able hold a lower idle fan speed as a result of the larger heatsinks?

the L9i hard to say, the D9L probably could

Hi folks.

I just bought a small 300mm deep 3U rack case for my computer and everything is kind of a tight fit. I belive I have ok airflow through my case now with two intake fans in the front and passive exhaust in the back. The PSU fan also faces inward so it also kinda works as an exhaust fan.

I have a older Core i7 2600K CPU and a Asus Sabertooth P67 motherboard. The CPU uses the stock intel cooler.

Just to test the temperatures in the new case i changed the profile in my bios to the "performance" setting which i belive lets my computer run at a higher clock speed. Sorta like an automatic overclock.

CPU performance2.PNG

After this I ran Cinebench R15 and the CPU runs at 4430MHz for most of the benchmark, but drops to approximately 3800MHz towards the end when my CPU reaches 98degrees celsius. I belive this is called thermal throttling.

CPU performance.PNG

I was already planning to buy a Noctua NH-L9i CPU fan in order to get a little quieter system. Now I might be able to fit a Noctua NH-L9x65, or maybe even an Noctua NH-D9L if i find somewhere else to put my HDD cage.

So after all that context i guess my questions are as follows:

1. How much lower temperatures can I expect with the above mentioned Noctua fans over a stock Intel cooler? Will I be able to avoid thermal throttling even when running at 4430Mhz in benchmarks with any or all of those fans?

2. The Noctua fans come with so called "low noise adapters". Do I really need those when the fan is PWM controlled? Or it it only to limit the MAX RPM of the fan?

3. Is there a significant reduction in fan noise in the Noctua fans over the stock Intel cooler?

4. My idle fan speed on the Intel cooler is around 1000RPM. Will the Noctua fans be able hold a lower idle fan speed as a result of the larger heatsinks?

Thank you for your time!

How much lower temperatures can I expect with the above mentioned Noctua fans over a stock Intel cooler? Will I be able to avoid thermal throttling even when running at 4430Mhz in benchmarks with any or all of those fans?

the L9i would perform almost like the stock cooler while the D9L would perform better

The Noctua fans come with so called "low noise adapters". Do I really need those when the fan is PWM controlled? Or it it only to limit the MAX RPM of the fan?

you can use it and pwm control it, it only limits how fast the fan can spin

though you never want to or even need to run noctua fans at their max speed anyway

Is there a significant reduction in fan noise in the Noctua fans over the stock Intel cooler?

performance per decibel, yes

My idle fan speed on the Intel cooler is around 1000RPM. Will the Noctua fans be able hold a lower idle fan speed as a result of the larger heatsinks?

the L9i hard to say, the D9L probably could

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Aytex said:

with a 212 evo you can expect temps to idle at 30 and load at 70

I bet, however it will definitely not fit in a 3U by 300mm case. It means my case is 300mm(D) 480mm(W) 133mm(H).

Thanks for the suggestion though.

I bet, however it will definitely not fit in a 3U by 300mm case. It means my case is 300mm(D) 480mm(W) 133mm(H).

Thanks for the suggestion though.

cyroig c7?

12 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

SFF? What does that mean? Sorry for my lack in abbreviacioun comprehension. My goal is to get the computer very silent while not working hard. And preferably a bit more silent than the stock cooler under heavy load. I do not normally run the system with the BIOS settings on "performance". I usually run the system in the "medium" setting. But it would be nice to have a cooler that could handle it even if it was running at a bit high RPM at those specific times i don run in performance mode.

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, Aytex said:

cyroig c7?

Looks nice! It is a bit louder than the Noctua fans is it not? Or am I wrong?

I would run in to the same problem as with the Noctua NH-D9L and would have to remove my HDD cage. How does the Cyroig c7 perform compared to the Noctua NH-D9L?

Sorry, i think i confused the C1 and the C7.

14 minutes ago, MrCravon said:

SFF? What does that mean? Sorry for my lack in abbreviacioun comprehension. My goal is to get the computer very silent while not working hard. And preferably a bit more silent than the stock cooler under heavy load. I do not normally run the system with the BIOS settings on "performance". I usually run the system in the "medium" setting. But it would be nice to have a cooler that could handle it even if it was running at a bit high RPM at those specific times i don run in performance mode.

Thanks!

SFF = small form factor, but the D9L would do fine if it fits, maybe allowing some overclocking too

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately