Everyone keeps saying: wait for Pascal/Polaris...

username_

BUT

and assuming they indeed come out in June, we won't have brand models till months later, right? Only the reference cards

is something wrong with reference cards?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, DominicNikon said:

bad cooling. not good overclocking and power?

Last time I checked, Nvidia at least did a very good job with their reference coolers over the past couple of series. 

@OP There's also the matter of blower style coolers being better for certain types of systems.

well for the 900 series, the aftermarket cooler launched with the reference cooler, there's a chance it'll be the same for pascal

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

well for the 900 series, the aftermarket cooler launched with the reference cooler, there's a chance it'll be the same for pascal

Yeah, I seem to remember this too. though only limited.

Just do what I'm doing - buy a gpu now then flog it and get a new one once they arrive. lose 300 in the process xD 

COPPER THEMED SCRATCH BUILD: PROJECT CUFEC IN PROGRESS 

My opinion is, all off the current gen video cards are manufactured using 28nm process. This process goes back to the AMD 7000 series/Nvidia 700 series.

If Polaris/Pascal are built at 16nm or even 14nm, the increase in the amount of transistors that will be able to fit in the same area will be dramatic.

This will always be the cycle with computer components, no matter what.  Buy something now, and something better will come out shortly after.  It doesn't really matter.  If you are waiting for the new gpu's, but want non-reference coolers, then wait for those, if you want something right now, buy something available now.  It doesn't matter, no matter what it is, something better will follow at some point, normally relatively soon.

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

25 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

bad cooling. not good overclocking and power?

they cool enough for the card to not throttle, with TDP dropping every year you can get great overclocks on reference cards without aftermarket power delivery, and reference cards have great compatibility with aftermarket coolers if you want to upgrade it

at least for nvidia, AMD's reference cards are jet engines

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020