Best console for pc setup?

I'm getting a pc setup soon and would like to get one console to accompany it. I honestly cannot decide which console to get. I am willing to try anything, including any retro consoles. However, unless the console is retro, I do want it to be able to play modern games, restricting my options to an Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, or a retro. Help me decide!

Or you could just use the money you would spend on a console to build an even better computer. If you're doing it for console exclusives then probably XBone for things like TR.

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

PS4 is my favorite. But it depends on the games you want to play.

Of course, if the game isn't console exclusive just get it for PC

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

2 minutes ago, aaronk2002 said:

I'm getting a pc setup soon and would like to get one console to accompany it. I honestly cannot decide which console to get. I am willing to try anything, including any retro consoles. However, unless the console is retro, I do want it to be able to play modern games, restricting my options to an Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, or a retro. Help me decide!

PS4

Then get whatever console has the exclusives you want.

I dont really see a reason to buy a game for console for 15$ more than the pc version and then play it in 720p 30hz with fxaa when I could play it in 1080p 60hz with msaa and ultra settings.

Wii u if you like nintendo games. Otherwise the console with the exclusives you like

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

The GameCube of course. Can never go wrong with Smash Melee, Double Dash, Metroid Prime and many more exclusives.

Or you go with Wii U, because the PS4 and Xbone barely have any exclusives IMO

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

22 minutes ago, MDPS said:

Or you could just use the money you would spend on a console to build an even better computer. If you're doing it for console exclusives then probably XBone for things like TR.

Tomb Raider is on PC; smh.

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

I have a gaming PC and am now thinking of getting a PS4 because my friend has one and I am interested in playing Destiny which is a PS4 exclusive. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fKvV3C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 5820K | MSI X99S SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-2666mhz | EVGA Titan X Hybrid | Fractal Design Define R5 | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | Samsung 850-EVO Series 250GB SSD | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair AX860 | Acer Predator XB270HU | Corsair H100i GTX | Corsair K70 RGB w/Cherry MX Browns | Corsair M65 RGB | Audio-Technica ATH-M50X | Windows 10 |

4 hours ago, MDPS said:

Snip

2 hours ago, dditty said:

I have a gaming PC and am now thinking of getting a PS4 because my friend has one and I am interested in playing Destiny which is a PS4 exclusive. 

Destiny is on Xbox one, Xbox 360, Play Station 4, and Play Station 3.

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

ps4 looks better than xbox on most setups... thats if you worry about aesthetics... also it has some nice exclusives :P 

13 hours ago, Sentryy said:

Destiny is on Xbox one, Xbox 360, Play Station 4, and Play Station 3.

Hot damn! I never knew! Thanks mate

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fKvV3C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 5820K | MSI X99S SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-2666mhz | EVGA Titan X Hybrid | Fractal Design Define R5 | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | Samsung 850-EVO Series 250GB SSD | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair AX860 | Acer Predator XB270HU | Corsair H100i GTX | Corsair K70 RGB w/Cherry MX Browns | Corsair M65 RGB | Audio-Technica ATH-M50X | Windows 10 |

Alright, so... 
If you want to stick with current-gen stuff, GET A WIIU, (or wait for NX.) 
Seriously, PS4 and XB1 have almost no exclusives, with all of their best games having superior versions on PC anyway. WiiU is the only place to play Sm4sh, Splatoon, Mario Kart, and Zelda, always Zelda. (btw, did I mention Splatoon?)
Not to mention, since the WiiU runs on Wii/GameCube hardware, a simple soft-mod will get you playing Wii and GameCube games region-free from a USB drive with HDMI video (480p 60hz). Say what you will about the Wii, but the GameCube was awesome. 
So, that's 3 generations of Nintendo all in one box. 

If you want to go retro, you're gonna have to weigh your options. Most consoles from the 5th generation (N64/PS1) and earlier have really good emulators available that require a fairly beefy PC, but it looks like you've got that covered. 
As for 6th-gen (DC, PS2, XB, GC) and newer, the emulators out there are either terrible, or limited by current-gen hardware, and produce tons of errors and inaccuracies in the emulation, which is both irritating, and can completely break the gameplay in all your favorites. To see what I'm talking about, check out Project64 2.2 (for quad cores) vs Project64 1.6 (for Pentium 4s). It's like night and day. 

So basically, for awesome retro consoles you should emulate: 
Super Nintendo - (Higan v098)
No, seriously, F***ing Super Nintendo
Nintendo 64 - (Project64 2.2) 
Playstation - (ePSXe 2.0.2)

For awesome retro consoles you should actually buy if you want to get into them: 
Super Nintendo (again)
GameCube
Wii (easy to softmod)
PS2 (easy to softmod)
PS3
Dreamcast (easy to softmod)

I really want to urge you to pick up a WiiU, since that covers Wii and Gamecube games natively. Also Splatoon.

Just don't be downloading any games you don't own. Piracy, eh? You'll be hurting the Devs and going to jail. Not fun.

I just picked up an Xbox One this past weekend. I have my cable box integrated and will set up Xbox/PC streaming this weekend. I got my PC a potato friend and I can finally play Madden, which unfortunately isn't available on PC. :dry:

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

As objective measure as I can get. Of the 20 highest rated games on metacritic on each system this is the % that aren't on PC:

Wii U: 60%

PS4: 15%

XBOne: 10%

Read into that however you wish. Though I will add that there's a huge question mark over all three. Even as someone who's a huge fan of the Wii U I'm not sure I'd buy one now given that we'll know more about what the NX is very soon. Not to say that a Wii U won't be a good option but I wouldn't buy into it right now with that huge amount of uncertainty. It's a similar deal with the PS4 currently although unlike the Wii U I'm sure the PS4 will continue to get a lot of support. But I wouldn't be buying one now when there's potentially a 2x boost in GPU performance launching in October.

With the XBOne? .... If you have a PC I'm not sure it matters. I don't think it's worth getting. My guess is that they're going to continue to fold XBox into Windows 10. Maybe a year from now if you have a PC you also kinda have access to all of the XBOne content anyways.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

@skywake 

Yeah, that's kinda the other side of things... The WiiU was really starting to become awesome, when all of a sudden, NX appears. 

We don't really know anything atm, but it kinda sounds like all the WiiU's best games are gonna be launch titles for NX, so if backward compaitibility with Wii (or hacking for GameCube) isn't as important to you, then maybe NX is a better choice. This, together with VR and PS4 Neo, leaves us in kind of an awkward transision time for gaming right now.

I guess the best thing for OP to do would be to focus on building the best gaming PC possible, while keeping an eye on what Nintendo announces. Then make your decision when you have a rig up and running that you're somewhat content with.

BTW, this trailer came out yesterday in case you guys missed it