H440 vs 400C

patriotaki

I want to get a new case for my system and get rid of my old damaged fractal XL black pearl

Things to consider: 

Xfx ts 750w gold non modular PSU

4x SSDs and 1x HDD

PCS+ R9 390 ( not for long though)

Atx Asus z170 pro gaming

Cooler master 412s push/pull

Would love to have the ability for crossfire

I really like these two cases nzxt h440 and the corsair 400c

But I can't decide which one to choose.

The 400c seems a little smaller than the h440, but I love the price of it :P

But I know that the corsair has better build quality

Also one more issue for me is the airflow I need some very good airflow passing through the GPU to cool it down because I don't want to run it at 50-60celcius on idle with gpu fans off. 

Which one do you recommend?

Yea H440 without modding is very restrictive to airflow.

Get the 400C.

(If not for that psu situation I would have told you go Define S.)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

if you want good cooling probably the 400c because the h440 is more silence oriented

check out the n450 if you like the h440's internals

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

any other recommendations? maybe the obsidian 450d? i dont like it that much..but if its better why not

H440 will suffocate even 1 390 tbh. Even the Noctis 450 which I have looks like it has great airflow, but the top exhaust sucks, it's extremely restrictive. I'd get a corsair case

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

Any other recommendations or opinions?

Will the 400c suit my needs?

3 hours ago, patriotaki said:

Any other recommendations or opinions?

Will the 400c suit my needs?

cannot imagine it wont should be fine :)

Returning after 8 years dormant

8 hours ago, patriotaki said:

what about the 450D?

I would say the 400C is a better case. 

Again I'd totally recommend the Define S if you didn't have an ugly power supply.

You could also consider some Phanteks cases.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Keep in mind that the 400c is Corsair's response to the s340 more than the h440.

I have owned the h440 and a similar model of the same Corsair case.

The build quality is identical.

Both will have airflow problems without static-pressure fans, but the h440 has them included.

I personally like the h440 better in design and aesthetic.

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

42 minutes ago, Crossbred said:

Keep in mind that the 400c is Corsair's response to the s340 more than the h440.

I have owned the h440 and a similar model of the same Corsair case.

The build quality is identical.

Both will have airflow problems without static-pressure fans, but the h440 has them included.

I personally like the h440 better in design and aesthetic.

i think the airflow would be better on the  400c , i will replace some of the fans with SP

im so confused..dont know what to get

I have both , youy have more drive bays on the H440, with the 400c you will max out the 3 rear mounted ssd bays and the 2 hard drive bays with the drives you have.

you can push pull on the rad when mounted on the front , I am not sure how long your psu is but mine (corsair ax860I) did allow me to keep the basement drive cage in so i could pop a single drive inside it, however due to how tight the cable management is in the back i removed the ssd sleds (3 way single unit) as i am a bit of a neat freak and hated the way the cable management was going with it there.
 Another thing of note is that you will need to source some 6/32 X 1.25 C/sink screws for the fans that go on the front for your push pull config..or you wont get the front fans  installed flush , you wont see that they are not but obviously you wont get a great seal.
Heat wise inside the H440 i have the H100 cooler and that is cooling the 6 core 3930K , while in the 400c the H110I is cooling the 8 core 5960X and the push/ pull helps in both  cases .
let me know if you need any dimensions or clearances based off of my builds .

IMG_20160326_104522.jpgIMG_20160301_033830.jpg

Family is Everything ....But a fast pc with an SSD is NIce

7 minutes ago, Bluetac said:

I have both , youy have more drive bays on the H440, with the 400c you will max out the 3 rear mounted ssd bays and the 2 hard drive bays with the drives you have.

you can push pull on the rad when mounted on the front , I am not sure how long your psu is but mine (corsair ax860I) did allow me to keep the basement drive cage in so i could pop a single drive inside it, however due to how tight the cable management is in the back i removed the ssd sleds (3 way single unit) as i am a bit of a neat freak and hated the way the cable management was going with it there.
 Another thing of note is that you will need to source some 6/32 X 1.25 C/sink screws for the fans that go on the front for your push pull config..or you wont get the front fans  installed flush , you wont see that they are not but obviously you wont get a great seal.
Heat wise inside the H440 i have the H100 cooler and that is cooling the 6 core 3930K , while in the 400c the H110I is cooling the 8 core 5960X and the push/ pull helps in both  cases .
let me know if you need any dimensions or clearances based off of my builds .

IMG_20160326_104522.jpgIMG_20160301_033830.jpg

thanks for your info!

although i dont have watercooled my CPU i have the CoolerMaster 412s air cooler, so i guess i would be fine?

how are the ssd mounts on the back?

i got the xfx ts 750w gold PSU non modular, would the cable management be a nightmare?

I have an H440 with two MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming GPUs in it.  Cools just fine.

IMG_20160221_115730.jpg

Thrive on change. Embrace volatility.

Here is a pic of the rear ssd mounting bracket, and shows how easily they just drop in, i however didnt need to use it as i had an M.2 drive and a single hdd so i took it out

IMG_20160229_011424.jpgIMG_20160316_175724.jpg

I would say it would think your coooler would be just fine in this case , i would double check the measurements (more the depth) to ensure you have the clearance for it .

24 minutes ago, Bluetac said:

Here is a pic of the rear ssd mounting bracket, and shows how easily they just drop in, i however didnt need to use it as i had an M.2 drive and a single hdd so i took it out

IMG_20160229_011424.jpgIMG_20160316_175724.jpg

I would say it would think your coooler would be just fine in this case , i would double check the measurements (more the depth) to ensure you have the clearance for it .

hows the building experience on the 400c? is it comfortable enough for a build like mine?

~ Intel i5 6600k @4.4GHz 
~ Cooler Master 412s 
~ G-Skill 16GB 2600MHz 
~ PowerColor R9 390 PCS+ 
~ ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming 
~ 2x Samsung 850 evo 250GB 
~ 1x Samsung 840 evo 250GB 
~ 1x Samsung 820 120GB 
~ 1x WD Blue 500GB 
~ XFX TS 750W 80+ Gold

On April 18, 2016 at 5:08 PM, patriotaki said:

i think the airflow would be better on the  400c , i will replace some of the fans with SP

im so confused..dont know what to get

In that case (haaaa) get whichever you like the looks of better, since any sp fan will be fine in either case. The h440 has accents of either blue, red, green, orange, or b/w to fit color-coordinated builds. Mine is red + black.

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

1 minute ago, Crossbred said:

In that case (haaaa) get whichever you like the looks of better, since any sp fan will be fine in either case. The h440 has accents of either blue, red, green, orange, or b/w to fit color-coordinated builds. Mine is red + black.

mine is red+black also! i will definetely be getting some led strips ! which one do you recommend

23 minutes ago, patriotaki said:

mine is red+black also! i will definetely be getting some led strips ! which one do you recommend

Strips or cases?

H440 for the case, and I have no experience with led strips but might pick up some of the thermaltake ones.

Right dimensions

I am not sure on the length of your psu but mine is  16cm and my cables fit just fine even before i  swapped them  out for cablemod ones ,as for the GPU you I had a distance of 29.5cm from the I/0 shield to my push pull radiator setup , so for you it would be + 2.5 cm the width of a standard fan and my radiator 2.6 cm so approximately 35-36 cm assuming you will be having at least 1 preferably 2 SP fans on the front of the case your card will fit just fine as it is 30.5 cm, Loads of room to spare i had 8mm lol
 As for the build , i took my time and as it wasn't cheap so did it as and when i had the parts, the only thing i found frustrating was the psu shroud due to the tight tollerances of the radiator and a push / pull set up. If you look close i have literally no maneuvering room next to it. For you though that will not be an issue.
 I will be knocking up an ROG logo and printing that to place in the hole in the top f the shroud where they want you to route the PCI express cables through but mine don't go that way so i blocked it off wit black card for now.

Things i disliked about it is the front panel audio connector as the sleaving does not go all the way to the plug , so to hide it my board came with a usb 3.1 daughter card so i installed it to cover it up. by the way you can (it is tight) but you can run the cable out the back , i can take a picture of it up close if you need one.

Bb the way yes all your hardware will fit including all the drives but you will need to route around the drive cage like i did before i changed my mind and took it out, 3 ssd's will go in there then one in the hdd cage along with the 3.5 drive so that is them all accounted for.

I don't  get it...

why the fuss about H440 being sad for cooling?

Mine's pretty happy

IbaqrZC.jpg

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

I'll get the corsair 400c since the h440 is 50euro more . hope it suits me

@Bluetac if it's easy for you to post the picture it would be great! :)

How's your overall experience with this case  in few words?

I would have to say it has been great apart from my issue with the front case fans , but that would not affect you as you are not going watercooling

IMG_20160420_181445.jpg

the white line in the picture is the top on view of the card mentioned above