help moving os to ssd

DH

I've recently installed a ssd and cloned my hdd to the ssd so now both just have an os 

i've gone into the boot menu and set the boot to ssd (or atleast i think i have) there is evidence that it has as windows 10 boots up much quicker and everything generally loads faster but when i go into computer management it says the hdd still has the boot and obviously beecause it's the os I cant just delete the os on the hdd so it boots on the ssd :/  can any of you help me? all help is appreciated 

you should do a clean install

never clone to an SSD

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

you should do a clean install

never clone to an SSD

so what wipe my pc?

I am not sure what you problem is.  Do you not want your HDD to be able to boot?

The MBR has not been deleted off your old HDD.  So it is possible to boot off an HDD still.  However a computer can only boot off 1 device at a time, so if the computer booted from the SSD, then the HDD will just be a regular drive.  

7 minutes ago, DH said:

I've recently installed a ssd and cloned my hdd to the ssd so now both just have an os 

i've gone into the boot menu and set the boot to ssd (or atleast i think i have) there is evidence that it has as windows 10 boots up much quicker and everything generally loads faster but when i go into computer management it says the hdd still has the boot and obviously beecause it's the os I cant just delete the os on the hdd so it boots on the ssd :/  can any of you help me? all help is appreciated 

Make a backup of your data you need on the HDD. Reformat the SSD. Plug in the SSD and disconnect any other drives. Install Windows to the SSD. Restore data from the HDD.

3 minutes ago, DH said:

so what wipe my pc?

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

you can just install on the SSD with your HDD unplugged, then plug in your HDD after and move your personal files to the SSD

then format the HDD and use it for mass storage

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

18 minutes ago, Enderman said:

you can just install on the SSD with your HDD unplugged, then plug in your HDD after and move your personal files to the SSD

then format the HDD and use it for mass storage

I dont get what you mean because ive already cloned the os onto the ssd and tried putting the ssd to boot and then i unplugged the hdd to see if that would work but it just came up with a message saying plug in the boot drive 

6 minutes ago, DH said:

I dont get what you mean because ive already cloned the os onto the ssd and tried putting the ssd to boot and then i unplugged the hdd to see if that would work but it just came up with a message saying plug in the boot drive 

Because cloning is a bad way to do things and sometimes doesnt work properly

even if it did work and you could boot into your SSD you will likely have a lot of windows errors and problems with programs or updates

basically cloning is the lazy way to do things, and as you can see sometimes doesnt work

doing a proper clean install will avoid these issues, and if you havent done a clean install in the past few years then thats even more of a reason to do so

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Because cloning is a bad way to do things and sometimes doesnt work properly

even if it did work and you could boot into your SSD you will likely have a lot of windows errors and problems with programs or updates

basically cloning is the lazy way to do things, and as you can see sometimes doesnt work

doing a proper clean install will avoid these issues, and if you havent done a clean install in the past few years then thats even more of a reason to do so

i Just did a clean install like 4 hours ago hoping it would give me an option to boot onto the ssd but it didnt it automatically booted on the hdd

4 minutes ago, DH said:

i Just did a clean install like 4 hours ago hoping it would give me an option to boot onto the ssd but it didnt it automatically booted on the hdd

when you do a clean install you need to have the HDD unplugged and the SSD set to boot priority 1 in the UEFI

do not install windows with more than 1 drive plugged in

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

when you do a clean install you need to have the HDD unplugged and the SSD set to boot priority 1 in the UEFI

oh right oaky thanks

I can't unplug the hdd when it's on can i

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

9 minutes ago, DH said:

I can't unplug the hdd when it's on can i

nope

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

nope

On windows 10 I need to go into the settings to wipe my pc so obviously my pc has to be on, but when I  turn it off and unplug my hdd I cant go back onto windows to wipe it

2 minutes ago, DH said:

On windows 10 I need to go into the settings to wipe my pc so obviously my pc has to be on, but when I  turn it off and unplug my hdd I cant go back onto windows to wipe it

no it does not

all you have to do is have the SSD plugged in, you put in your windows 10 SSD, then you start installing windows

then you will get to this screen

Install-Windows-7-12-format.jpg

all you need to do is click format and the drive is clean

Spoiler

no it does not

all you have to do is have the SSD plugged in, you put in your windows 10 SSD, then you start installing windows

I don't have a windows disc to get this screen all I get is a black screen like this

imagesF33SBT0H.jpg

2 minutes ago, DH said:

I don't have a windows disc to get this screen all I get is a black screen like this

did you make a windows 10 USB properly?

are you sure you made it bootable?

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DH said:

imagesF33SBT0H.jpg

7 minutes ago, Enderman said:

no it does not

basically I get insert system disk and press enter on a black screen

did you make a windows 10 USB properly?

are you sure you made it bootable?

I haven't made a win 10 usb?

Just now, DH said:

I haven't made a win 10 usb?

How are you planning to install windows if you havent made a windows 10 USB???

Spoiler

How are you planning to install windows if you havent made a windows 10 USB???

I didn't know I had to and I only have one 16 gb usb

6 minutes ago, DH said:

I didn't know I had to and I only have one 16 gb usb

all you need is a 4GB usb

then just follow the guides:

http://mspoweruser.com/how-to-create-a-bootable-usb-drive-for-windows-10/

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I'm looking at the mspoweruser thing and following all the instructions correctly but when it come to the instruction to click on the disk option next to iso image nothing comes up apart from my documents folder when his comes up with a windows download that he can easily click

1 minute ago, DH said:

I'm looking at the mspoweruser thing and following all the instructions correctly but when it come to the instruction to click on the disk option next to iso image nothing comes up apart from my documents folder when his comes up with a windows download that he can easily click

windows iso file I mean

3 minutes ago, DH said:

ok sorry that link was for some other software called ruckus, idk how that works

use this method instead, it uses the actual tool from microsoft

http://www.howtogeek.com/186775/how-to-download-windows-7-8-and-8.1-installation-media-legally/

Spoiler