Windows 10 Mobile is getting 64 Bit support!

AlTech

Microsoft has just announced that Windows 10 Mobile is soon going to get 64 Bit support on compatible ArMv8 Snapdragon CPUs. When the build with this is released it will be supported on Snapdragon 210, 615, 617, 808 and 810. These are the 64 bit capable CPUs that Windows 10 Mobile supports.

It is likely this will make it into the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

The latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 808, 810 and 820 chips are all 64-bit based, however, Microsoft is still only installing the 32-bit version of Windows 10 Mobile on its Lumia and Windows 10 Mobile devices from other OEMs. Microsoft today confirmed that it plans to release a 64-bit version of Windows 10 Mobile in the near future.

The 64-bit support in an operating system enables the devices to use more than 4GB of RAM, along with offering better parallel processing and lower power consumption. Earlier rumors had suggested that the 64-bit version of Windows 10 Mobile could be released as part of Windows 10 Mobile Anniversary Update. It looks likely that Microsoft will be launching the next Lumia-Surface Phone flagship handset running the 64-bit version of the Windows 10 Mobile.

Cool stuff. Exactly why did the Lumia 950 not ship with 4GB? Here's hoping to Surface Phone will have 6 or 8GB RAM for converting x86 Win32 to ArM in Continuum.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Guess that's some great news for those 2-3 people that actually use Windows phone :P /s

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

10 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Late to the party again Microsoft... WP10 should have been 64bit from day one.

Bruh. It was built to be compatible with it in the future.

wp.PNG

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Phahahaha, OMG Windows you're really cracking me up ?

Seriously, this should have been been a thing from day one. It's appalling how late Windows is to the party; when was the iPhone 5S released, 2013? That's 3 years behind the competition M$ ...

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

1 hour ago, patrick3027 said:

Phahahaha, OMG Windows you're really cracking me up ?

Seriously, this should have been been a thing from day one. It's appalling how late Windows is to the party; when was the iPhone 5S released, 2013? That's 3 years behind the competition M$ ...

True, but how many times do you actually utilize the 64-bit capabilities of your smartphone? For the average user - probably some, but not much. And even in those cases, 32-bit probably could have done it as well, just a bit less efficiently.

Not saying we shouldn't do this - I agree that Microsoft should have made Windows 10 Mobile 64-bit from the start, but honestly, I don't think it's that big of a deal that they are just getting around to it now.

I'd see moving Windows 10 Mobile to x86 as a far bigger achievement then implementing ARM 64-bit.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

So wait, it wasn't 64-bit out of the box?

Great. So 64-bit x86 Surface Phone in future?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

7 hours ago, Daring said:

So wait, it wasn't 64-bit out of the box?

Yeah.

1 hour ago, Doobeedoo said:

Great. So 64-bit x86 Surface Phone in future?

The update will add support for ARM 64 Bit not amd64.

On 4/17/2016 at 1:23 PM, FakezZ said:

Guess that's some great news for those 2-3 people that actually use Windows phone :P /s

I switched to a Windows Phone from my Nexus 4 a few days ago, and dude, so far, I'm loving it.

The UI is consistent and fast, pretty too. And notifications/SMS mirroring is coming in the summer.

I didn't/couldn't switch for a long time because of the lack of needed apps, but after I recently checked, it had everything I need. <3

Also, the skype+messaging app integration is FUCKING AMAZING.

13 minutes ago, ElfenSky said:

I switched to a Windows Phone from my Nexus 4 a few days ago, and dude, so far, I'm loving it.

The UI is consistent and fast, pretty too. And notifications/SMS mirroring is coming in the summer.

I didn't/couldn't switch for a long time because of the lack of needed apps, but after I recently checked, it had everything I need. <3

Also, the skype+messaging app integration is FUCKING AMAZING.

I agree that MS did a great job at building a solid and fast mobile OS, but the lack of applications just kills it for me every time I even consider a Windows phone. :/

54 minutes ago, FakezZ said:

I agree that MS did a great job at building a solid and fast mobile OS, but the lack of applications just kills it for me every time I even consider a Windows phone. :/

Here are the things I'm missing:

Local Banking app

Local Transport app for ferry and Buses

Different Transport app for Trains

Snapchat

Steam Mobile Client

App for Local electronic payment card system.

Support for paying using said App for electronic card.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Local Banking app

Snapchat

Steam Mobile Client

Oh that's bad... The thing I forgot to mention is that I am also interested in mobile app development and for whatever reason I can't stand using Visual Studio... Also I am an Open-Source fanboy, so I'd much rather use Android than Windows, unless the glorious day comes that they decide to open source Windows :/

3 minutes ago, FakezZ said:

Oh that's bad... The thing I forgot to mention is that I am also interested in mobile app development and for whatever reason I can't stand using Visual Studio... Also I am an Open-Source fanboy, so I'd much rather use Android than Windows, unless the glorious day comes that they decide to open source Windows :/

Seriously? 99.99999999% of Developers love Visual Studio. Everybody loves it except for you evidently............

@AluminiumTech

IKR!? It might be because I am too lazy to sit down and actually devote a lot of time to it, or because I get aids every time I try developing on Windows, because cmd sucks compared to bash :3 After this years exams, I am going to (fucking hopefully) be a University student, so time is going to be a non-issue and I am definitely going to give it a go.

Edited by FakezZ
Lol forgot to quote you xD

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Local Banking app

Snapchat

Steam Mobile Client

3 hours ago, FakezZ said:

I had a fairly similar list, but after I checked, my bank actually has a WP app, NMBS & De Lijn (Train & Bus networks here) also have well working apps, I decided that for a consistent UI I could live without Snapchat, and to be honest, the only thing I ever use the Steam app for is the Mobile Guard thing, and you can do that through email and/or my previous android phone that's near my PC at all times anyway since I don't use it anymore

So, I guess I'm lucky, but since I have everything I might need, I'm happily converted :D

Also, VS ftw, though I'll admit I prefer Sublime for web editing.

10 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

The update will add support for ARM 64 Bit not amd64.

So we may not expect it in future anytime soon?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

29 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

So we may not expect it in future anytime soon?

Support for AMD64 (x86_64)? As far as I know, they should be able to build in support for that at a moment's notice, since the Core of Windows 10 Mobile is shared with the full version of Windows 10 desktop.

As soon as there IS a 64-bit x86 CPU ready and willing to use Windows 10 Mobile, then I don't doubt they'll release an update for it.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

53 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Support for AMD64 (x86_64)? As far as I know, they should be able to build in support for that at a moment's notice, since the Core of Windows 10 Mobile is shared with the full version of Windows 10 desktop.

As soon as there IS a 64-bit x86 CPU ready and willing to use Windows 10 Mobile, then I don't doubt they'll release an update for it.

There is. Intel Atom CPUs. Only problem is that InstantGoTM (Previously known as Connected Standby) isn't exactly x86's cup of Tea. (Intel's drivers for x86 are a joke. They are so bad that they barely work half the time. This is the main battery life problem with the Pro 4 and SurfaceBook.

And Windows 10 Mobile, despite sharing the same damn kernel, does not support x64 or x86 currently.

3 hours ago, FakezZ said:

@AluminiumTech

IKR!? It might be because I am too lazy to sit down and actually devote a lot of time to it, or because I get aids every time I try developing on Windows, because cmd sucks compared to bash :3 After this years exams, I am going to (fucking hopefully) be a University student, so time is going to be a non-issue and I am definitely going to give it a go.

Bash is supported on the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview and will be available in the next big update coming this summer.

30 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

There is. Intel Atom CPUs. Only problem is that InstantGoTM (Previously known as Connected Standby) isn't exactly x86's cup of Tea. (Intel's drivers for x86 are a joke. They are so bad that they barely work half the time. This is the main battery life problem with the Pro 4 and SurfaceBook.

And Windows 10 Mobile, despite sharing the same damn kernel, does not support x64 or x86 currently.

I should clarify - the Intel Atom CPU's aren't really ready for Smartphones yet. At least, not any of the ones I've seen. We're close though. For Tablets? Sure, definitely, I'd say Atoms are fine.

And yes, while Windows 10 Mobile doesn't currently support x86_64, I suspect it would be fairly quick and easy for them to implement said support.

All of this is nice. but I'll keep saying this on any win10 mobile post. We NEED domain join for continuum. That would be a MASSIVE boost in the business sector. Do you know how many of my users would be on this damn thing if it had domain join? I wouldnt have to worry about laptops, surfaces, mobile vs desktop application support and compatibility. x64 would just be icing on the domain join cake.  

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX