Few extra tax bucks, should I upgrade anything?

Bion1985

So taxes came back and I got some money to spend. Thought maybe upgrading my pc (even though it likely don't need it) Heres my full system specs.

Cpu: 4690k 4.5ghz

Mobo: Asus z97a usb 3.1

Gpu: Evga 980ti SC ACX 2.0

Ram: Evga 16gb 2133mhz (1400mhz boost oc)

Psu: OCZ zx 850w

Storage: 128gb 850 ev0, x2 2tb Seagate Barracuda 

Had considered looking at a 4790k but don't know if that would be a dumb upgrade from a 4690k. Pc is mainly for gaming and all I really use it for. Not even 100% an upgrade is a good idea just crossed my mind since I have a few extra bucks to play with since taxes came back.

Any thoughts?

Couple pics added just for fun!

20160412_104529.jpg

20160412_100839.jpg

20160412_100518.jpg

20160412_100734.jpg

No

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

3 minutes ago, Swndlr said:

No

Yea I sorta figured, was just a thought since I had a few spare bucks.

Keep it for when it makes a difference, right now you're already topped out for a reasonable consumer system.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Not worth it IMO. At this point , i would just wait and save up for pascal/polaris/kabylake/zen

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 minute ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Not worth it IMO. At this point , i would just wait and save up for pascal/polaris/kabylake/zen

Would a Pascal gpu likely even be worth upgrading to since I have a 980ti already? Know we don't really know what Pascal is bringing but I sorta assumed it would likely not be worth it right away considering I got a 980ti.

1 minute ago, Bion1985 said:

Would a Pascal gpu likely even be worth upgrading to since I have a 980ti already? Know we don't really know what Pascal is bringing but I sorta assumed it would likely not be worth it right away considering I got a 980ti.

it really is too early to say . But a 4790k will likely not offer a significant performance benefit over your i5. At this point i would wait.

Maybe Amd will pull something out of their hat with zen ( though i have my doubts )? Maybe Skylake E in 2017 will be great ? 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

well there's one upgrade you can do for free

cable management

doesnt affect performance but its just an aesthetic thing ;)

otherwise, nice system :P

i would change that psu after a couple years as its not the best psu out there, but it should probably be fine left untouched

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Coaxialgamer said:

it really is too early to say . But a 4790k will likely not offer a significant performance benefit over your i5. At this point i would wait.

Maybe Amd will pull something out of their hat with zen ( though i have my doubts )? Maybe Skylake E in 2017 will be great ? 

Thank you. Yea I have considered that since it's already a few years old and in its second build as it is, but held off since it's still working 100% fine as far as I can tell.

3 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Think your right it's best to wait, just though I'd look for forums opinion also since I do have a few bucks I can spare at the moment. I am happy with my system but sort of sucks cause when I built close to a year ago Skylake came out maybe 3 or 4 months later. But honestly don't think I'm missing out major on not running Skylake hardware. 

Maybe consider upgrading your periphial game.  Nice keyboard or mouse maybe.  Or maybe something for visual purposes if that's your thing.  

got a 1440p 120hz monitor? if not i advise investing you will never go back to 1080p again 

I lurk a lot

I would upgrade the boot ssd to 256gig, 128 just always seemed a little under the sweetspot. But if you're not running out of space there's not really a point I guess, just wanted to point it out.

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

well there's one upgrade you can do for free

cable management

doesnt affect performance but its just an aesthetic thing ;)

otherwise, nice system :P

i would change that psu after a couple years as its not the best psu out there, but it should probably be fine left untouched

ermmmm...never open up my case then...it was a choice between spend 20 more mins on cable management or start downloading games at 6mbps (less than a MB/s...), chose the latter 2 years ago, installed the AIO for my first 290x...just made more mess...decided to change the cooler on my second 290x and change case...spent a bit more time doing cable management...still shite...I just canny be arsed with cable management...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 hour ago, cleb said:

Maybe consider upgrading your periphial game.  Nice keyboard or mouse maybe.  Or maybe something for visual purposes if that's your thing.  

I have a Razor Blackwidow and a Naga mouse. Has kinda bothered me that they are green and don't match my setup. Have considered getting something in blue or rgb before, maybe I'll do that.

1 hour ago, peej said:

got a 1440p 120hz monitor? if not i advise investing you will never go back to 1080p again 

Also thought about this before, currently I have a 1080p 144hz monitor. 

1 hour ago, Hamosch said:

I would upgrade the boot ssd to 256gig, 128 just always seemed a little under the sweetspot. But if you're not running out of space there's not really a point I guess, just wanted to point it out.

I'm good for just OS and maybe one or two games now. When I was first thinking of upgrading with this money two big things that came to mind was maybe processor or a larger ssd. How difficult is it to clone a drive? Never done that before honestly.

13 minutes ago, Bion1985 said:

I'm good for just OS and maybe one or two games now. When I was first thinking of upgrading with this money two big things that came to mind was maybe processor or a larger ssd. How difficult is it to clone a drive? Never done that before honestly.

Cloning is not an issue at all, either you download a free program or you use the usually included software (if you buy samsung, don't know about others)

Every time I've done it it is an extremely painless process.

- pop in new drive

- clone old drive to new drive via program

- change boot order to new drive

- DONE (delete stuff on old drive if you feel like it)

9 minutes ago, Hamosch said:

Cloning is not an issue at all, either you download a free program or you use the usually included software (if you buy samsung, don't know about others)

Every time I've done it it is an extremely painless process.

- pop in new drive

- clone old drive to new drive via program

- change boot order to new drive

- DONE (delete stuff on old drive if you feel like it)

Can you clone the original source drive to the new drive using the same system that the original drive is from or do you need to remove the older small ssd and do it all on a different system?

5 minutes ago, Bion1985 said:

Can you clone the original source drive to the new drive using the same system that the original drive is from or do you need to remove the older small ssd and do it all on a different system?

You can clone the source drive using the system running from the source drive so no need for a second PC.