Amp for the Audeze LCD-3

Ultragunner

Hi everyone,

I'm kinda in a pinch right now. The thing is I have already asked this over at head-fi, but no one has bothered to answer yet.

Here is the rub, my current set up and daily drivers consist of the Schiit Modi/Magni Stack (both are 2 Uber) paired with the HD600, T50rp mk3, Beyerdynamic T90, Fostex TH-X00 ...and many more (mostly "mid-fi" gears, but ******* I'm such a hoarder LOL).

Everything has been going just fine then BAAMMM!!! An acquaintance offered to sell his LCD-3 (pre-Fazor) for a real discount price, and...you guessed it, I could not resist (because the LCD-3 retails for FREAKIN' OVER $3000 AUD here in Australia).

Okay, enough with my boring story, my main concern is that will my Schiit Stack be sufficient enough for the LCD-3 pre-Fazor, both in term of power and general performance?

I have seen many recommend the Burson Soloist, will it still pair well with the pre-Fazor LCD-3?

One last thing, I'm kinda a Schiit fan, and was planning to upgrade to the combo of Bifrost + Lyr 2 in a near future even if I had not got the LCD-3, should I still aim for this combo instead of the Soloist?

The Soloist is currently on sale: http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/product/burson-soloist-headphone-amplifier-and-integrated-pre-amplifier

Which direction should I go? I really don't want to end up hoarding as many amp as I currently am with so many headphones haha

Pardon me for being so cumbersome, but I guess that's what happens when I "jumped the gun" so early (haha)

I appreciate any comment or feedback, 

Thank You.

Just stick with the schiit, it Will work fine.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Well according to the spec sheets none of the amps are powerful enough to get to a third of the power rating of the headphones and the ragnorok is only just at half of the watts the headphone can take, but that max wattage is apparently 130dB so quite loud and probably will only need 5Watts to get to something sutiable, but then again headphones apparently dont matter and people give me shit for saying that it is powerful enough even though the manufacturers say it isnt, so hey ho.

The Dick of the audio page!

I can power LCD 3 with my O2/ODAC combo so the shiit stack should be fine.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

5 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I can power LCD 3 with my O2/ODAC combo so the shiit stack should be fine.

im guessing they dont go very loud since your only putting 400mW (plus or minus 50mW) through a 15 Watt headphone.

Just now, EndlessOyster said:

im guessing they dont go very loud since your only putting 400mW (plus or minus 50mW) through a 15 Watt headphone.

Plenty loud for me, but then again my hearing is not normal so it might be a different story for other people.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

2 hours ago, Ultragunner said:

Hi everyone,

I'm kinda in a pinch right now. The thing is I have already asked this over at head-fi, but no one has bothered to answer yet.

Here is the rub, my current set up and daily drivers consist of the Schiit Modi/Magni Stack (both are 2 Uber) paired with the HD600, T50rp mk3, Beyerdynamic T90, Fostex TH-X00 ...and many more (mostly "mid-fi" gears, but ******* I'm such a hoarder LOL).

Everything has been going just fine then BAAMMM!!! An acquaintance offered to sell his LCD-3 (pre-Fazor) for a real discount price, and...you guessed it, I could not resist (because the LCD-3 retails for FREAKIN' OVER $3000 AUD here in Australia).

Okay, enough with my boring story, my main concern is that will my Schiit Stack be sufficient enough for the LCD-3 pre-Fazor, both in term of power and general performance?

I have seen many recommend the Burson Soloist, will it still pair well with the pre-Fazor LCD-3?

One last thing, I'm kinda a Schiit fan, and was planning to upgrade to the combo of Bifrost + Lyr 2 in a near future even if I had not got the LCD-3, should I still aim for this combo instead of the Soloist?

The Soloist is currently on sale: http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/product/burson-soloist-headphone-amplifier-and-integrated-pre-amplifier

Which direction should I go? I really don't want to end up hoarding as many amp as I currently am with so many headphones haha

Pardon me for being so cumbersome, but I guess that's what happens when I "jumped the gun" so early (haha)

I appreciate any comment or feedback, 

Thank You.

That's a great deal but it really depends on you. Some will say your schiit stack will suffice but some will say a Woo is better for the LCD 3.

38 minutes ago, EndlessOyster said:

Stop immediately. The LCD needs nothing like 15W to reach dangerous levels.

I've heard bad things about the Burson sound from people whom I trust fairly well. I'd personally stick go with Lyr 2. Or Mjolnir 2 if you really hate money and can go balanced.

Just now, SSL said:

Stop immediately. The LCD needs nothing like 15W to reach dangerous levels.

I've heard bad things about the Burson sound from people whom I trust fairly well. I'd personally stick go with Lyr 2. Or Mjolnir 2 if you really hate money and can go balanced.

Well thats what the company spec sheet says. So are you call out Audeze for bullshit?
WbhKynk.png
screen shot taken from spec sheet from Audeze
https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-collection/lcd-3

Just now, EndlessOyster said:

Well thats what the company spec sheet says. So are you call out Audeze for bullshit?
WbhKynk.png

I'm calling out you for not knowing what you're talking about.

5 hours ago, EndlessOyster said:

WbhKynk.png

Are you even aware of how SPL works? Or even how much hearing damage you would experience when listening to something at 130Db??? Sure, the headphones can take 15 watts, and sure, it'll be at 130Db. But newsflash, nobody wants to listen to anything that loud, and it's utterly pointless to talk about the max volume a headphone can produce, since invariably, it will cause hearing damage.

Here is what you should be looking at: 

Efficiency 102dB / 1mW

(also taken from the Audeze LCD-3 page)

That means that they will get more than loud enough on just about any dedicated amp setup. My Hifiman HE-500 have a sensitivity somewhere around 89Db/mW (might be per volt, but my point is the same) So really, my HE-500 are going to need more power to drive them to a given volume level than the LCD-3. 

Don't be daft. Do some research. 

5 hours ago, SSL said:

I'm calling out you for not knowing what you're talking about.

I 100% agree. This is what SSL is doing. (@SSL, I'm trying to be more active here again XD)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

I looked at powering LCD 2 a long time ago in my siggy. IIRC LCD 2 is harder to power compared to 3.

7 hours ago, EndlessOyster said:

WbhKynk.png

lol

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

1 hour ago, KaminKevCrew said:

(@SSL, I'm trying to be more active here again XD)

Hi :)

10 minutes ago, Ultragunner said:

So I can just stick with the Magni/Modi 2 Uber?

Probably. If it it's not enough then you can buy something.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

On 2016-04-14 at 2:37 PM, Ultragunner said:

I'm kinda a Schiit fan

hehe

On 2016-04-14 at 3:50 PM, spwath said:

Just stick with the schiit

haha

Selling a MSI GTX 550ti in stockholm sweden or looking for free pc parts in Stockholm sweden

9 minutes ago, Ultragunner said:

yeah, I know, it is a pretty schiity situation =))

Such a dad joke it's amazing I LOVE IT xD