Help me choose a PC Case?

Go to solution Solved by Curufinwe_wins,
10 minutes ago, Shaqo_Wyn said:

Alright thanks! I'm definitely starting to like the Define S after seeing some more reviews. Ugh, I swear if it had top dust filters included it would be all round perfect. 

Do you know if they sell those nice, tick magnetic ones for it separately?

The same company that sells Define R5 magnetic filters works for the Define S (DEMCiflex). I owned one, it's nice but I use a different solution now...

IMAG0518.jpg

Since this radiator is exhaust this works perfectly! Also the lighting (and angle of the shot) makes this look way worse than it does.

This is more what it looks like:

IMAG0649.jpg

Hi guys, I have a new build coming up and I'm hoping you guys can help me out with choosing a case.

I've narrowed it down to:

- Enthoo Pro

- Enthoo Pro M (either the normal or the Acrylic window edition)

- Enthoo Evolv ATX

- Corsair 400C 

Now obviously, the Evolv ATX is the clear winner but it's last on the list since it's way outside my budget for the case.

I'm hoping to hear from owner's of these case if there are any cons I should no about (poor build quality, poor design decisions, poor noise dampening etc.)

Thanks!

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

I think the Pro M is very sleek and clean looking. If you cant afford the Evolv, then Id go with that, and its all good quality stuff since its from Phanteks. I really dont know how they make all their stuff with such good quality :P 

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

13 minutes ago, Shaqo_Wyn said:

Hi guys, I have a new build coming up and I'm hoping you guys can help me out with choosing a case.

- Enthoo Pro

- Enthoo Pro M (either normal or the Acrylic window edition)

- Enthoo Evolv ATX

- Corsair 400C 

Now obviously, the Evolv ATX is the clear winner but it's last on the list since it's way outside my budget for the case.

I'm hoping to hear from owner's of these case if there are any cons I should no about (poor build quality, poor design decisions, poor noise dampening etc.)

ThankS

Phanteks p400 is a NYC case 

18 minutes ago, Aditya0002 said:
37 minutes ago, Shaqo_Wyn said:

- Enthoo Pro

- Enthoo Pro M (either normal or the Acrylic window edition)

- Enthoo Evolv ATX

- Corsair 400C 

ThankS

EDIT: Phanteks p400 is a NYC case 

The Enthoo pro is an amazing case and if you cant afford the Evlolv the pro is the next best thing. HardwareCanucks does great reviews on these cases. 

1 hour ago, Savir said:

The Enthoo pro is an amazing case and if you cant afford the Evlolv the pro is the next best thing. HardwareCanucks does great reviews on these cases. 

It is 2year old and it's expensive than planters p400/s ,the p400/s is much newer and better than the enthoo pro  you should watch his p400 review

21 hours ago, Aditya0002 said:

It is 2year old and it's expensive than planters p400/s ,the p400/s is much newer and better than the enthoo pro  you should watch his p400 review

I did watch his review. Age doesn't matter with cases as long as they have the required features. The P400 is kinda like a lesser S340. I think the Enthoo Pro beats them both. 

Personally I am not a fan of ANY of the Enthoo cases for a variety of reasons that probably don't apply to most people (so take my comment with a teaspoon of salt).

What do you need? What hardware do you plan on putting in them? How important is silence at high airflow (this is mainly because 140mm fans>>120mm fans at this job)?

While you say you have already narrowed it down, is there any particular reason you are not currently also considering the Define R5 or S?

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, Savir said:

I did watch his review. Age doesn't matter with cases as long as they have the required features. The P400 is kinda like a lesser S340. I think the Enthoo Pro beats them both. 

But in my opinion ,in low budget I would go for p400/s ,for bit high budget I would go for the 400c or define s, define r5 ,and everyone knows that these case are better than enthoo pro , enthoo pro is not at all bad but it lacks in looks 

22 hours ago, Aditya0002 said:

But in my opinion ,in low budget I would go for p400/s ,for bit high budget I would go for the 400c or define s, define r5 ,and everyone knows that these case are better than enthoo pro , enthoo pro is not at all bad but it lacks in looks 

Yes I do agree the R5 and S are much better cases, but I was going off the choices that were given. "lacks in looks " again that is an opinion, which obviously the OP favors the Enthoo pro. 

On 4/14/2016 at 11:13 PM, Swndlr said:

I think the Pro M is very sleek and clean looking. If you cant afford the Evolv, then Id go with that, and its all good quality stuff since its from Phanteks. I really dont know how they make all their stuff with such good quality :P 

On 4/14/2016 at 11:32 PM, Savir said:

On 4/14/2016 at 1:29 AM, Aditya0002 said:

On 4/15/2016 at 10:39 PM, Savir said:

On 4/15/2016 at 0:05 AM, Curufinwe_wins said:

Personally I am not a fan of ANY of the Enthoo cases for a variety of reasons that probably don't apply to most people (so take my comment with a teaspoon of salt).

What do you need? What hardware do you plan on putting in them? How important is silence at high airflow (this is mainly because 140mm fans>>120mm fans at this job)?

While you say you have already narrowed it down, is there any particular reason you are not currently also considering the Define R5 or S?

On 4/15/2016 at 0:27 AM, Aditya0002 said:

10 hours ago, Savir said:

Yes I do agree the R5 and S are much better cases, but I was going off the choices that were given. "lacks in looks " again that is an opinion, which obviously the OP favors the Enthoo pro. 

Please allow me to multi quote you guys, because I feel I forgot to mention some details.

Look basically, I'm willing to buy any case that is $120-$130 but it would prefer it be Phanteks or (since some of you have mentioned it) Fractal Design.

I've watched a lot of reviews but no one of them nowadays really point out the 'flaws' and there are certain things that are real deal breakers for me:

- flimsyness of the frame

- no proper dust filters in the top, bottom and front (if I'm not mistaken R5's moduvent system doesn't have top dust filters)

- poor airflow

- poor ease of assembly (the difficult front panel of the C400 is why Corsair is now off the list)

TBH I love Hardwarecanucks be he used to really dive into the details and point out the little things, now it's more along that lines of it's Phanteks so must be perfect.

My needs (preferably):

- quiet (doesn't have to be sound dampened tho)

- exceptional cooling

- good grommets and internal layout for proper cable management

- dust filters everywhere

- clearnance for the NH-D15 I own

- good frame

- nice side window, a bit scratch resistant

build quality

I'm gonna put a high end system in there and air cool it for now, so water cooling is not a absolute necessity. I'll just buy a new case then.

A lot of Phanteks new cases and the Define S are positioned at thar the budget sub $100 price point. May main concern with this is, that they cut quality in the wrong areas that make these case a deal breaker for me. 

I hope to hear you guy's thought on the above things. :)

I don't recommend low-end Corsair cases if you want to watercool anything. The statement that says they fit those radiators is usually a straight-up lie. Also the fake brushed-aluminum finish looks terrible to me, and the cases feel cheap.

I don't know much about the other cases, but you could also pick up an NZXT s340 for a similar price. I think they do a great job.

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

12 hours ago, Savir said:

Okay

Honestly with the Define S there isn't any need/reason to use the top monuments if you are not watercooling. 

It already has the best top end cooling of any midtower on the market, with its relative unrestricted 3x front 140mm fan support. 

9.5/10 Definately would recommend again and again and again even if it was a 130 dollar case, but at 70-80 rofl it obliterates the competition on value. 

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

3 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Honestly with the Define S there isn't any need/reason to use the top monuments if you are not watercooling. 

It already has the best top end cooling of any midtower on the market, with its relative unrestricted 3x front 140mm fan support. 

9.5/10 Definately would recommend again and again and again even if it was a 130 dollar case, but at 70-80 rofl it obliterates the competition on value. 

Alright I'll give it another look. I'm also digging the Enthoo Pro M and P400S. But the Pro M most reviews I've seen say it's flimsy and I'm not so sure whether the P400S has adequate cooling with just those two small intakes at the front.. How silent is the Define S, considering it does not have sound dampening in the front panel?

1 hour ago, Shaqo_Wyn said:

Alright I'll give it another look. I'm also digging the Enthoo Pro M and P400S. But the Pro M most reviews I've seen say it's flimsy and I'm not so sure whether the P400S has adequate cooling with just those two small intakes at the front.. How silent is the Define S, considering it does not have sound dampening in the front panel?

Well they are going to be quieter with the same fans than ALL of the Enthoo cases, and quieter than the 400C.

It is "louder than the Define R5", but that doesn't mean much (I don't know a case quieter than the Define R5 that doesn't totally heat saturate under high loads). It might actually be quieter than the H440 (at the same component temperature) because the H440 fans get really starved by the front restrictions.

I have a 6 fan system (albeit with very good self-isolating fans: FD Venturi series) that runs <15 dBa idle and <24 dBa full load.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

23 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Well they are going to be quieter with the same fans than ALL of the Enthoo cases, and quieter than the 400C.

It is "louder than the Define R5", but that doesn't mean much (I don't know a case quieter than the Define R5 that doesn't totally heat saturate under high loads). It might actually be quieter than the H440 (at the same component temperature) because the H440 fans get really starved by the front restrictions.

I have a 6 fan system (albeit with very good self-isolating fans: FD Venturi series) that runs <15 dBa idle and <24 dBa full load.

Alright thanks! I'm definitely starting to like the Define S after seeing some more reviews. Ugh, I swear if it had top dust filters included it would be all round perfect. 

10 minutes ago, Shaqo_Wyn said:

The same company that sells Define R5 magnetic filters works for the Define S (DEMCiflex). I owned one, it's nice but I use a different solution now...

IMAG0518.jpg

Since this radiator is exhaust this works perfectly! Also the lighting (and angle of the shot) makes this look way worse than it does.

IMAG0649.jpg

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

10 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

IMAG0518.jpg

IMAG0649.jpg

Ah I see, so you closed off the part that's not covered because of the fan offset and the fans are exhaust. I'll keep that in mind. I think I'll go for the filter initially tho, as WC isn't an initial priority for me. :) Thanks.