Linus Attempts BGA Chip Repair

8 hours ago, samcool55 said:

Linus tries to DIY it with an oven: fixes the gpu.

Linus tries it the professional way: fails.

Just pointing that out...

It has nothing to do with the process of repairing computer components with a soldering iron. You apply heat too long and you will destroy the component. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

When I saw linus throw on the black gloves I was thinking , "good, leave no fingerprints around Loise neck"

10 hours ago, Scruffy90 said:

When was Linus in NY?

About a week or so ago, during the NY International Auto Show

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

17 hours ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

Okay so the vulgarity aside my main problem is his business model. Just because someone gives him a shitty attitude that does not mean he should have the right to give your product that is being repaired a less amount of treatment that is absolute bullshit. This is someone who I would never trust repairing anything of mine. It is super unprofessional and that is why his business will be nothing more than a crappy little shop on a street if you want to grow you need to respect all of your customers even if they throw a little fit. Not that I am someone who gives people who work in service a bad time I mostly feel concern for his customers. Lets say someone is having a bad day because their $1000 laptop broke so you aren't nice to him but you still pay hundreds of dollars for repairs and he half asses it, doesn't even do a full inspection. What is literally what he did to the guy with the Mac.

You've apparently never worked in the service industry. When a customer treats you like shit, what incentive do you have to go the extra mile to double check everything and look for additional problems, versus fix only the part that the customer paid you to do? If you act like a jerk to your chef, what incentive does he have to NOT spit in your food?

Rewarding negative behavior with positive service only incentivizes further negative behavior

On 4/13/2016 at 10:39 AM, samcool55 said:
Spoiler

I have learned physics for a year, and mechanic stuff with forces and direction and such thing, if you can call that science.

I don't know what the science is behind it and i don't care, it's a fact that linus' gpu went from broken to fixed in his video, and in this video it stayed broken.

Turned out they didn't keep an eye on it and melted the chip, but that's not in the video linus posted which by the way got released AFTER louis posted the video.

So it could easily be added in linus' video that it didn't work because of that reason, but they didn't so i didn't know.

And i don't care about louis' video's because i don't like them. His business is to fix stuff, usually apple stuff, and then he rants about how bad the support is that they get from apple... If you fix stuff from a brand you don't like, what the hell are you doing then? It's just something i don't understand.

Louis crapped all over linus and then failed to prove him that his professional method is better. What i expected was proof that his method is better and more reliable than the oven method linus used, and i haven't seen anything that's even close to it.

The only thing i saw was linus operating an expensive machine, got the thumbs up from louis for what he did and ended up with a broken thing, failing to proof that his method is better than the oven one.

If you have proof that louis' machine is objectively better than using an oven, i would like to see that then.

The board Louis let Linus try to repair was thrown across the room with the pch broken off. There is no way to tell what that PCH is unless there are some manufacture writing on it. Without that, it's all just guess work and hoping for the best. Linus oven method work is the gpu is still stuck on the pcb, off course it's going to work. Is it the proper way to repair it, no. Just temporary when you want to use it for as long as you can before buying a new one.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 hours ago, Masterfroglicker said:

You've apparently never worked in the service industry. When a customer treats you like shit, what incentive do you have to go the extra mile to double check everything and look for additional problems, versus fix only the part that the customer paid you to do? If you act like a jerk to your chef, what incentive does he have to NOT spit in your food?

Rewarding negative behavior with positive service only incentivizes further negative behavior

Its called being a professional when others are not.

There are good points here. It is mean, and downright nasty to screw something up for a paying customer just because they're acting foolish. 

On one hand, if someone walks into a store cursing, screaming, and insulting, while there are customers in the store, for the sole reason that an OEM charger(that Apple wants $79 for) is $65 while a knockoff one on amazon is $17, that's kinda lame. 

My point with this video is that if you want the best out of people in the service industry, you have to think about how you act. So many people wonder why they do not get what they want out of people, but what are they putting in? How are they treating the people who are directly responsible for providing them with an evaluation, a good, or a service? 

I can test something fully myself, to hasten the process. Or, I can have the rest of the staff do it while I move onto the next machine - which slows down the process for the end customer. It's up to me if i want to put the extra effort in to do something faster, and it might surprise many that this effort goes towards people who haven't screamed and cursed up the store with customers in it. I'm not going to purposely screw up his stuff, that's an f'd up thing to do. but going above and beyond to get it done faster by doing all the testing personally... why? Why not do that for someone nice? 

Everyone will leave with the same quality of work, but whether or not I consider it a priority or a "eh when I get to it" absolutely has to do with how they come in! I want to give the fastest and best service to people who are actually worthwhile. 

FWIW, person from that video is still with machine, happy. Until he gets another knockoff charger and blows R7005. ;) It's coming. I know it. :) R7005 is the knockoff charger lie detector. :):) 

In terms of the PCH soldering... oh yeah that was a fail :) It follows my curse from the other 200+ videos of nothing deciding to work so long as I am recording it. Gotta love it. 

3 minutes ago, l.a.rossmann said:

In terms of the PCH soldering... oh yeah that was a fail :) It follows my curse from the other 200+ videos of nothing deciding to work so long as I am recording it. Gotta love it. 

I think everyone has that curse of everything working off-camera but never working on-camera.