PC Upgrades $2000 AUD

Pinkieseb

Hey, currently I have:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($94.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Motherboard: MSI H81M-E34 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($79.00 @ Mwave Australia) 
Memory: Team Elite 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.00 @ CPL Online) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R7 265 2GB Video Card 
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($77.00 @ CPL Online) 
Monitor: BenQ GL2460HM 60Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($199.00 @ CPL Online) 
Total: $518.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-13 09:39 AEST+1000

I plan on upgrading the PC to this:

https://www.pccasegear.com/sc/jM3

Im a bit skeptical with the CPU, Mobo and RAM bundle. It was pretty good value thats the only reason i decided to go with it and the i7. 

Is this all good or are there any areas where Im screwing up? Ideally I'd like the upgrades to stay within 2 grand.

Great build, psu will definitely be enough, unless you're planning on SLI, I dont see anything wrong with the build, very stable, will run your games amazing on 1080p and even 1440p.

1 minute ago, RileyGav said:

Great build, psu will definitely be enough, unless you're planning on SLI, I dont see anything wrong with the build, very stable, will run your games amazing on 1080p and even 1440p.

I'm planning to stick with the 390x until Pascal or AMD's equiviliant. Hopefully Pascal has pretty good power consumption and I dont have to upgrade PSU again :P But I dont plan on SLI'ing and I have a 1080p and a 1440p monitor.

Pascal is coming out soon and will not use much power, about the same as the current gpu's, haven't seen into polaris but I'm sure it's probably more due to amd always using more power for their gpu's, which isnt a bad thing always. If you can wait until late-June then definitely pick up a pascal card instead, that's if they use pci-e :/, because I'm not sure at this point.

1 minute ago, RileyGav said:

Pascal is coming out soon and will not use much power, about the same as the current gpu's, haven't seen into polaris but I'm sure it's probably more due to amd always using more power for their gpu's, which isnt a bad thing always. If you can wait until late-June then definitely pick up a pascal card instead, that's if they use pci-e :/, because I'm not sure at this point.

My pentium and R7 265 cant run much anymore tho :P The 970 will be nice until Pascal/Polarias. Plus then I meet the minimum requirements for VR xD

So I came up with this. Much cheaper than your list.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($275.00 @ Umart)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 70.0 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler  ($33.00 @ Umart)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($85.00 @ IJK)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($61.60 @ Newegg Australia)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.00 @ CPL Online)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 8GB SOC Video Card  ($475.00 @ IJK)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1300 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($65.00 @ CPL Online)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($123.00 @ IJK)
Total: $1186.60
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-13 10:18 AEST+1000

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

5 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

So I came up with this. Much cheaper than your list.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($275.00 @ Umart)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 70.0 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler  ($33.00 @ Umart)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($85.00 @ IJK)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($61.60 @ Newegg Australia)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.00 @ CPL Online)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 8GB SOC Video Card  ($475.00 @ IJK)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1300 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($65.00 @ CPL Online)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($123.00 @ IJK)
Total: $1186.60
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-13 10:18 AEST+1000

I dont think a 620w PSU could handle pascal/polaris tbh 

and I want an i7 because I plan on pairing it with pascal/polaris so an i5 MIGHT end up bottlenecking it. Plus I stream and play pretty CPU intensive games.

How much of an advantage is the 390X over the 390? Also I already have a 2TB HDD :P Hence the 500GB SSD

10 minutes ago, Pinkieseb said:

I dont think a 620w PSU could handle pascal/polaris tbh 

It's actually more than enough. If anything, Pascal and Polaris are stated to be even more efficient than their predecessors. The current system can pull 435W at most.

11 minutes ago, Pinkieseb said:

and I want an i7 because I plan on pairing it with pascal/polaris so an i5 MIGHT end up bottlenecking it. Plus I stream and play pretty CPU intensive games.

Okay, then go for it. You won't "bottleneck" the CPU with an i5, but the Hyperthreading will be helpful in streaming and CPU intensive games.

13 minutes ago, Pinkieseb said:

How much of an advantage is the 390X over the 390?

Not much, not worth the $100 price premium.

17 minutes ago, Pinkieseb said:

Also I already have a 2TB HDD :P Hence the 500GB SSD

Well, if you are sure you will use the 500GB space, and not just use it for the OS, then go ahead! ^_^

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

15 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

It's actually more than enough. If anything, Pascal and Polaris are stated to be even more efficient than their predecessors. The current system can pull 435W at most.

Okay, then go for it. You won't "bottleneck" the CPU with an i5, but the Hyperthreading will be helpful in streaming and CPU intensive games.

Not much, not worth the $100 price premium.

Well, if you are sure you will use the 500GB space, and not just use it for the OS, then go ahead! ^_^

Alrighty Ill drop to a 650w then

The 500GB should be fine. I maxed out my 1TB HDD with the OS, Programs and games. The OS and programs are less than 500GB by themselves so I can move them and some steam games over to the SSD

Save a few bucks by grabbing an i5 - it's very, very unlikely to bottleneck the upcoming Polaris/Pascal cards and by the sounds of it, you won't need the hyperthreading of an i7.

If I were you, I'd hold off on the GPU and wait for them to come in a few months.

Avoid ASUS and Gigabyte for AMD cards since they both have subpar coolers and Gigabyte voltage locks their AMD cards.

While the PSU isn't bad, it's pretty meh. Grab a Antec HCG instead.

So with that said, here's my recommendations:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($335.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($55.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($249.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($125.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($229.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  ($509.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case  ($195.00) 
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($129.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Total: $1826.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-13 11:27 AEST+1000

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

Save a few bucks by grabbing an i5 - it's very, very unlikely to bottleneck the upcoming Polaris/Pascal cards and by the sounds of it, you won't need the hyperthreading of an i7.

If I were you, I'd hold off on the GPU and wait for them to come in a few months.

Avoid ASUS and Gigabyte for AMD cards since they both have subpar coolers and Gigabyte voltage locks their AMD cards.

While the PSU isn't bad, it's pretty meh. Grab a Antec HCG instead.

So with that said, here's my recommendations:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($335.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($55.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($249.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($125.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($229.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  ($509.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case  ($195.00) 
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($129.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Total: $1826.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-13 11:27 AEST+1000

I can get the i7 in a bundle at only $20 more than the i5 sooooo yeah :P

EVGA make pretty good coolers...?

2 minutes ago, Pinkieseb said:

I can get the i7 in a bundle at only $20 more than the i5 sooooo yeah :P

EVGA make pretty good coolers...?

Fair enough, I'd jump on that too :P

EVGA makes some great coolers but they're exclusively NVIDIA. For AMD, you should be looking at Sapphire, MSI, Powercolor and XFX for good cooling. Just avoid ASUS and Gigabyte for the reasons stated before.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Fair enough, I'd jump on that too :P

EVGA makes some great coolers but they're exclusively NVIDIA. For AMD, you should be looking at Sapphire, MSI, Powercolor and XFX for good cooling. Just avoid ASUS and Gigabyte for the reasons stated before.

Sorry I meant PSU's :P EVGA PSUs.

I'll get a MSI R9 390

1 minute ago, Pinkieseb said:

Sorry I meant PSU's :P EVGA PSUs.

I'll get a MSI R9 390

EVGA makes some great PSUs such as the GQ, G2, B2, GS lineups. But they also have pretty meh lineups such as the B1 and G1 (or NEX series), *00B, *00 White.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Pinkieseb said:

Unfortunately, no.

Are you looking for full modularity?

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Unfortunately, no.

Are you looking for full modularity?

Yeah

2 minutes ago, Pinkieseb said:

Yeah

For good full modular PSUs, you're gonna have to spend a little more.

After a quick search on PCCG, it seems like they only have fully modular 750W PSUs.

So either get the XFX XTR 750W or the EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 (the EVGA PSU is slightly better).

Spoiler

For good full modular PSUs, you're gonna have to spend a little more.

After a quick search on PCCG, it seems like they only have fully modular 750W PSUs.

So either get the XFX XTR 750W or the EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 (the EVGA PSU is slightly better).

Thanks Ill get the EVGA one :) At least it gives room for more upgrades.