About Amd CPUS And vr

I had a previsions thread but i forgot to state a few things. so ill start again, so im getting a vive soon (after i get the parts) I will be getting a 970, but i have a 6300 but i need a better cpu so a 8350 is what i want, is this capable. and if you have any intel recommendations, i gona need a new mother board as well preferably a full atx, But i dont want like an £120 motherboard, ive looked everywhere but i keep getting motherboards that too high in price.

so pleases recommend some CPU for me, thanks

FX-8350 is fully capable. This is my score:

XI1eyHX.png

While it's more than enough for VR as you can see, I highly advise you to hold onto your 6300 until Zen and Kaby Lake release at the end of this year.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Just now, Majestic said:

So is a Q6600 on that benchmark @Morgan MLGman, it's a pointless test. AMD FX CPU's are not great for getting that solid 90 fps.

Yeah, though you gotta admit, it is indeed enough, at least at the moment for apps that are released as for today, because all in all an 8350 is a powerful CPU, IF all the cores are used, and that's the case here

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

I got rid of my FX-8350 because it was horrible compared to my new Intel i7 5820K, but it should be good enough for VR depending on what GPU you're running next to it. But keep in mind the chip isn't getting any younger so if you're really that high strung on AMD and VR I would upgrade to the Zen when it comes out, gives you a newer manufacturing lower TDP and better performance and a very new chip compared to the already nearly 4 year old chip.

Intel i7-5820K, MSI X99 SLI Plus, ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB-DDR4, Corsair HX1200i, NZXT Kraken X62, Corsair Crystal 570x.

2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Yeah, though you gotta admit, it is indeed enough, at least at the moment for apps that are released as for today, because all in all an 8350 is a powerful CPU, IF all the cores are used, and that's the case here

No, i will not agree or admit to calling the 8350 capable based on a sham of a test. It's not great for hitting high framerates, that includes DX12

aos_low_gpu4.png

Either wait for Zen, or go for Intel. 4590 was recommended for VR. A 6300 is significantly less capable, period.

3 minutes ago, Majestic said:

No, i will not agree or admit to calling the 8350 capable based on a sham of a test. It's not great for hitting high framerates, that includes DX12

aos_low_gpu4.png

Either wait for Zen, or go for Intel. 4590 was recommended for VR. A 6300 is significantly less capable, period.

Have to go with Majestic on this one, the FX-8350 is nearly 4 years old and sure as hell wasn't designed with DX12 and VR in mind, that's the reason I got rid of mine to begin with, all those 8 cores are nice and dandy but thus far only a handful of things will actually utelise those 8 cores and 8 threads completely, making the CPU pretty much useless in alot of things, I'd take Performance per Clock and Performance per Core with less cores over more cores with horrible PPC any day. So indeed either go for an Intel or wait for Zen. 

Intel i7-5820K, MSI X99 SLI Plus, ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB-DDR4, Corsair HX1200i, NZXT Kraken X62, Corsair Crystal 570x.

4 minutes ago, Majestic said:

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2016/03/31/is-your-pc-ready-for-vr-amd-has-you-covered-with-processors-recommended-for-vr-by-htc-and-valve?sf23633185=1

There is no indication that an 8350 is not VR ready.

Just now, Majestic said:

AMD.com? really? ;/

It is illegal to "lie" on stuff like that, so yeah, that doesn't make an 8350 not VR ready, I'm not saying it's the best choice, but it is indeed good enough for VR in its current state, which is a very early staged one atm

2 minutes ago, Mr.Paradox said:

Have to go with Majestic on this one, the FX-8350 is nearly 4 years old and sure as hell wasn't designed with DX12 and VR in mind, that's the reason I got rid of mine to begin with, all those 8 cores are nice and dandy but thus far only a handful of things will actually utelise those 8 cores and 8 threads completely, making the CPU pretty much useless in alot of things, I'd take Performance per Clock and Performance per Core with less cores over more cores with horrible PPC any day. So indeed either go for an Intel or wait for Zen. 

No no no, I'm not saying it's a good choice, I'm saying it's good enough for VR atm.
A 5820k is an ideal choice atm, being a better one than the 6700k price/performance wise imo

Well i stick with amd because if i get intel this means new Motherboard new ram and The cpu. and i dont care for SUPER ULTRA GRAPHICS  any way.

5 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

It is illegal to "lie" on stuff like that, so yeah, that doesn't make an 8350 not VR ready, I'm not saying it's the best choice, but it is indeed good enough for VR in its current state, which is a very early staged one atm

No no no, I'm not saying it's a good choice, I'm saying it's good enough for VR atm.
A 5820k is an ideal choice atm, being a better one than the 6700k price/performance wise imo

Yes at the moment it is, however nothing will guarantee it will stay that way, as I said the FX8350 is nearly 4 years old and let me reiterate what I said earlier: It wasn't designed with DX12 and VR in mind. I didn't get the 5820K for VR though, I got it because it's a newer chip, has 6-cores 12 threads Ideal for my video editing work and actually has DDR4 support and completely blows the FX-8350 out of the water despite it's fewer cores and lower clock and makes up for it by having way better PPC. If it's perfect for VR that's just a bonus.

6 minutes ago, Mr.Paradox said:

Yes at the moment it is, however nothing will guarantee it will stay that way, as I said the FX8350 is nearly 4 years old and let me reiterate what I said earlier: It wasn't designed with DX12 and VR in mind. I didn't get the 5820K for VR though, I got it because it's a newer chip, has 6-cores 12 threads Ideal for my video editing work and actually has DDR4 support and completely blows the FX-8350 out of the water despite it's fewer cores and lower clock and makes up for it by having way better PPC. If it's perfect for VR that's just a bonus.

Well, that's not entirely true. For example GCN architecture featured Async Compute since 2011, and yet nobody used it, that's why even old AMD cards perform well in DX12 and see a significant boost over DX11. It doesn't have to be specifically designed for stuff, it only needs to fit the criteria that the software/game requires, and 8350 fits the criteria needed for current VR applications, that's all I mean, I'm not saying it's a good choice for future VR by no means.

3 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Well, that's not entirely true. For example GCN architecture featured Async Compute since 2011, and yet nobody used it, that's why even old AMD cards perform well in DX12 and see a significant boost over DX11. It doesn't have to be specifically designed for stuff, it only needs to fit the criteria that the software/game requires, and 8350 fits the criteria needed for current VR applications, that's all I mean, I'm not saying it's a good choice for future VR by no means.

That's not entirely true either, meeting initial criterea will never be an indication it's going to work and certainly won't indicate it'll work at all in the long run, VR is still in it's infancy so it's not at all suprising what is out there as of this moment works as it's not as demanding as future applications might be. Ofcourse workloads in the future could be lighter than they are now because they ironed out the issues. But hypothetically, the i7-5820K might be ideal as of this moment, but in 2 months, it may be sub-par and perform below the latter, my argument was more of the future requirement to have consistent performance and atleast have more than the required 90FPS consistently, rather than a too dynamical framerate when you're often below the 90FPS. You also need to account for the other variables, but a newer chip is always preferred even when graphical workloads are more tasking on the GPU than CPU, and in theory the FX-8350 can still perform above expectation in VR when combined with a powerful graphics card, but it never really hurts to have a newer chip in your system right?

On 2016-04-11 at 5:30 PM, Blue_Portal (Brony) said:

Well i stick with amd because if i get intel this means new Motherboard new ram and The cpu. and i dont care for SUPER ULTRA GRAPHICS  any way.

the FX-6300 and FX-8350 perform pretty similar in games...when it's enough it's enough, and when it's not...it's not.

So my recommendation is to either stick to what you have and maybe overclock it if your motherboard CPU cooling solution can support it, or sell all that stuff as a combo deal online and order an intel i5 with DDR4 ram and a cheap compatible motherboard.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR