Outta the GPU game for awhile

terralysis

Hey folks! Been outta the PC building game for awhile, looking for an opinion. Here's the deal:

Got a gaming rig, but I don't have time for PC gaming any more - gonna sell off the parts. Plan is to build a Skylake mATX build for everyday computing, media server, etc. but I'd like to retain some gaming functionality for the older stuff (HL, portal, etc.).

So I guess my question boils down to: is the onboard Skylake GPU sufficient for those older games or should I hang onto my GTX 680? On another note, any idea what a 2GB 680 is worth these days?

Appreciate the help!

Might as well hang onto the 680, IMO. It'll be better than the built in one but it looks like they're going for a couple hundred bucks on eBay if you're really looking to sell

I would hang onto your GTX 680 as it will outperform any on-board graphics. If you already have it why get rid of it? Anyway the performance from the Skylake on-board graphics are for Media usage only. Even if you are going to play the odd old game here and there, I doubt it will be able to keep up. 

9 minutes ago, terralysis said:

Hey folks! Been outta the PC building game for awhile, looking for an opinion. Here's the deal:

Got a gaming rig, but I don't have time for PC gaming any more - gonna sell off the parts. Plan is to build a Skylake mATX build for everyday computing, media server, etc. but I'd like to retain some gaming functionality for the older stuff (HL, portal, etc.).

So I guess my question boils down to: is the onboard Skylake GPU sufficient for those older games or should I hang onto my GTX 680? On another note, any idea what a 2GB 680 is worth these days?

Appreciate the help!

It is not worth much. Maybe 100 dollars

11 minutes ago, terralysis said:

Appreciate the help!

The 2 gb model? Like maybe $150-$200 usd.

the hd530 will do fine in hl and portal, though with low settings i think

and the HD530 is slightly faster than hd4000 :P

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I would say that you should definitely keep your gtx 680 because that is worth anything from £160 to £210 buying used so why get rid of it... However that it also a good reason to just sell that and buy a whole new PC with it from just your GPU lol. If you did go for skylake I would get an i3 6300 for general tasks but will still keep up with older games and some new if that is the case. 

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

9 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

The 2 gb model? Like maybe $150-$200 usd.

$200 USD for something that performs worse than the R9 280x? Nope. Even my 7970 outperforms it, and I got it for $120.

I used to be quite active here.

14 minutes ago, Darkshadowhaxor said:

I would hang onto your GTX 680 as it will outperform any on-board graphics. If you already have it why get rid of it? Anyway the performance from the Skylake on-board graphics are for Media usage only. Even if you are going to play the odd old game here and there, I doubt it will be able to keep up. 

Yea that's pretty much my thought as well - guess I just needed someone to validate it. :)

1 minute ago, Kobathor said:

$200 USD for something that performs worse than the R9 280x? Nope. Even my 7970 outperforms it, and I got it for $120.

I dunno man, I just guesstimate prices for nivida gpus that are 600 series and older.

Hl, and portal are not very demanding at all. I was actually just playing portal recently on my laptop. It has an I5 5200u. 8gb ram integrate intel hd 5500 graphics. I didn't Check fps but it was playable.