190GB mysteriously used by nothing?

ninjapants

I have a 500GB hard drive with a fresh win10 install on my htpc and after installing all games I want to have on it I realized it is full, which is not possible as all my games together take up maybe 250-275GB. But I thought well maybe I am stupid so I install Spacesniffer and Spacemonger to check what takes up so much space. Turns out there are 190GB of unscannable something... And I cannot see it. Does someone know what this could be?

Untitled.png

CPU: Intel i7-6700K @4.8Ghz - MB: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Ranger - RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4@2400Mhz - GPU: EVGA FTW GeForce GTX1080 - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - HDD: Seagate Desktop HDD 3TB, bunch of old WD 500GB drives, old WD green 1.5TB - Case: AeroCool Mechatron - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 750W - Display: iijama ProLite B2712HDS 27" 1080p Display - Cooling: Enermax Liqmax II 240 - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry-MX Brown - Mouse: Corsair M65 FPS Gunmetal Black - Sound: Logitech X230

Probably a partition of unallocated volume or unsupported format or locked from a previous install, I'm not familiar with the program you're using nor do I want to be.

It may bea directory that has higher permission than that program is allowed to use. You know its not the program files or windows so just open up the main drive and look at the alternative files. Assuming theres no more than 5 or 6 just view the size or sort by size and see what the big one is. My guess would be just a hidden system folder like appdata(but it wont be that big).  

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

18 minutes ago, TAHIRMIA said:

https://windirstat.info/

scan with that and post results..I have always used Windirstat with no problems

windirstat gives me basically the same results...

Spoiler

Untitled.png

maybe I should reformat?

CPU: Intel i7-6700K @4.8Ghz - MB: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Ranger - RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4@2400Mhz - GPU: EVGA FTW GeForce GTX1080 - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - HDD: Seagate Desktop HDD 3TB, bunch of old WD 500GB drives, old WD green 1.5TB - Case: AeroCool Mechatron - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 750W - Display: iijama ProLite B2712HDS 27" 1080p Display - Cooling: Enermax Liqmax II 240 - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry-MX Brown - Mouse: Corsair M65 FPS Gunmetal Black - Sound: Logitech X230

It could be a lot of things but I'm thinking now... is your hard drive new or second-handed?

Maybe it has been used on a linux pc and somehow when trying to stablish the partitions on the disk, windows couldn't reformat that one.

Idk, just an idea ^^

2 minutes ago, Train27 said:

It could be a lot of things but I'm thinking now... is your hard drive new or second-handed?

Maybe it has been used on a linux pc and somehow when trying to stablish the partitions on the disk, windows couldn't reformat that one.

Idk, just an idea ^^

It is from a Dell PC that had Windows preinstalled, which I reformatted, so I know for a fact there was never anything else on it. I also have two more of those drives in my main PC and they do not have this issue...

Check disk management (Run diskmgmt.msc from command line or control panel, administrative tools), click on Disk drives and the drive in question, see if there is any unallocated space.

Right click, Extend if so.

1 minute ago, mluton said:

Check disk management (Run diskmgmt.msc from command line or control panel, administrative tools), click on Disk drives and the drive in question, see if there is any unallocated space.

Right click, Extend if so.

I have, there is not, it is saying that all of it is used

7 hours ago, ninjapants said:

I have a 500GB hard drive with a fresh win10 install on my htpc and after installing all games I want to have on it I realized it is full, which is not possible as all my games together take up maybe 250-275GB. But I thought well maybe I am stupid so I install Spacesniffer and Spacemonger to check what takes up so much space. Turns out there are 190GB of unscannable something... And I cannot see it. Does someone know what this could be?

Untitled.png

Open space sniffer as administrator, looks like you have opened all three applications as a standard user, which doesn't have access to all the directories in the windows folder. (right-click it and choose run as administrator).

Seriously Windows is ~ 20GB not the 11 you have.

13 hours ago, ninjapants said:

~snip~

Hey ninjapants,

How did you install the OS? Did you specify any extra storage space to be reserved for backups or for paging? How does the drive appear in Disk Management? 

If you have backups of all the drive I would recommend wiping the drive clean by filling it with zeros, thus wiping any data off the drive, and then perform a regular clean install as per the steps listed on the MS's website. Then, after installing the games one by one, see which one takes up that much space (if it happens again).  

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

On 4/12/2016 at 3:51 AM, Blake said:

Open space sniffer as administrator, looks like you have opened all three applications as a standard user, which doesn't have access to all the directories in the windows folder. (right-click it and choose run as administrator).

Seriously Windows is ~ 20GB not the 11 you have.

Maybe not in the screenshot (although I am pretty sure even there), but I did open it as Admin, when opening it normally there was not a big difference, maybe a few Gigs, I do not remember anymore.

On 4/12/2016 at 9:36 AM, Captain_WD said:

Hey ninjapants,

How did you install the OS? Did you specify any extra storage space to be reserved for backups or for paging? How does the drive appear in Disk Management? 

If you have backups of all the drive I would recommend wiping the drive clean by filling it with zeros, thus wiping any data off the drive, and then perform a regular clean install as per the steps listed on the MS's website. Then, after installing the games one by one, see which one takes up that much space (if it happens again).  

Captain_WD.

It is UEFI, so there are 2 extra Partitions, but not 190GB, it also would not show the Partition as 465GB in total capacity if I had the space taken up by another partition.

I ended up solving the problem by just reinstalling. I do not know if it is of any importance, but on the drive selection screen during the install I did open Diskpart in a command line and use the CLEAN command on the drive... After reinstalling Windows, everything was normal and the issue has not reoccured. Thanks for your help anyway, I appreciate the effort!

57 minutes ago, ninjapants said:

~snip~

Glad to see you've managed it, even though with a full reinstall. Feel free to post back if there are other issues. I would still monitor the remaining disk space and be aware if the problem shows up again. Backups are a good idea.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/