SSD Upgrade, How To Fresh Install

Go to solution Solved by Benergy,
2 minutes ago, person99 said:

I am currently using a WD Black 2tb for all of my storage, media, programs, and OS. I recently got an 840 EVO 250gb, and now I don't know how to go about doing a fresh install of windows on it (windows 10). 

So I guess my question is, how do I do a fresh install of windows on the ssd, then also use the WD Black for media (please excuse some of my inexperience)?

Have you installed Windows before? (e.g. on the WD Black drive)

It's the same process, you just boot up your installation media (USB, DVD etc) and choose to install to the SSD rather than the WD drive.

You can still keep all your data on the WD Black - both drives will actually be bootable with the 2 different Windows installs, you might need to change the boot order in your BIOS or just format the WD Black.

I am currently using a WD Black 2tb for all of my storage, media, programs, and OS. I recently got an 840 EVO 250gb, and now I don't know how to go about doing a fresh install of windows on it (windows 10). 

So I guess my question is, how do I do a fresh install of windows on the ssd, then also use the WD Black for media (please excuse some of my inexperience)?

2 minutes ago, person99 said:

It's the same process, you just boot up your installation media (USB, DVD etc) and choose to install to the SSD rather than the WD drive.

You can still keep all your data on the WD Black - both drives will actually be bootable with the 2 different Windows installs, you might need to change the boot order in your BIOS or just format the WD Black.

Almost as cool as my temps  

Use this tool to download and create installation of windows 10 on USB stick. Next boot up from USB stick and select SSD during installation. Dont forget to change boot order in BIOS.

16 minutes ago, Benergy said:

So it's basically the same exact process, key, etc, but choosing to install on the ssd instead during installation. 

1 minute ago, person99 said:

So it's basically the same exact process, key, etc, but choosing to install on the ssd instead during installation. 

Yep :)

As I mentioned you may have to change the boot order in BIOS after though, to boot the SSD rather than the HDD

Almost as cool as my temps