Paralell / Series ? could someone explain

Go to solution Solved by Moonzy,
15 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

well.. i dont :D.

then prepare your brain for some education :P

lets say you have waterblocks, and the two waterblocks are identical

now you have 2 configurations you can do, series and parallel

and your water flow amount if 2 (dont care about the unit, just know its 2 :P )

and the resistance of the block is 1 per block

series:

you connect the waterblocks one after another in the loop

your liquid flow from waterblock A to waterblock B, so it goes through two resistance,

therefore the resistance is 2, and the amount of liquid flowing in waterblock A will be equal to the amount of liquid flowing in waterblock B

since the water flow amount is 2, each waterblocks gets 2 amount of waterflow through it because they are equal

parallel:

you connect the waterblocks side by side

the water splite evenly among two waterblocks, so each water only goes through one resistance,

therefore the resistance is 1, and the amount of liquid flowing in each waterblock is equal, but is split into two

since the water flow amount is 2, each waterblock gets 1 amount of waterflow through it because they are equal

so basically

series = more resistance, the waterflow through the block is more

parallel = less resistance, the waterflow through the block is lessen

so you can connect your loop in series if your pump is of high pressure and moderate flow rate

or you can connect your blocks in parallel if your pump is moderate pressure and high flow rate

tl;dr

pros of series loop:

you can make sure all your blocks gets the same amount of water flowing through them, regardless whether they are high resistance or low resistance

easy to setup and nothing can go wrong with this setup

pro of parallel loop:

all your waterblocks (that are connected in parallel) get the coolest liquid possible, so you're not cooling the second block with the heated liquid from the first

parallel configuration is only recommended if both sides have the same resistance (i.e, the same waterblock), or else the water will flow more in one block and less in the other, thus causing potential overheating

personally, i would go for cpu and gpu loop in series because they are different

and do parallel loop for my gpu blocks if they are identical (or if you have more than 1 gpu lol)

not sure if i taught it the most effective way, but yea `-`

wonder if theres a video on this topic `-` maybe LMG can make one

hey guys,

i need some help understanding here. i dont quite get the whole parallel vs. series topic when watercooling. i get that parallel lowers resitance and all but never having thought about that kind of things i was wondering. is it a serious thing to think about or does it even matter for temps in the end? if so how would one calculate all that?

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

do you study electrical?

it would be easier to explain if you do o-o

something like this

series resistance = R1+R2

parallel resistance = (1/R1 + 1/R2)^-1

edit:

V = pressure

I(current) = water flow

R = Resistance of waterblocks

it can be easily explained if you understood all these :P

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

18 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

do you study electrical?

it would be easier to explain if you do o-o

something like this

series resistance = R1+R2

parallel resistance = (1/R1 + 1/R2)^-1

edit:

V = pressure

I(current) = water flow

R = Resistance of waterblocks

it can be easily explained if you understood all these :P

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

15 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

series:

your liquid flow from waterblock A to waterblock B, so it goes through two resistance,

therefore the resistance is 2, and the amount of liquid flowing in waterblock A will be equal to the amount of liquid flowing in waterblock B

since the water flow amount is 2, each waterblocks gets 2 amount of waterflow through it because they are equal

parallel:

the water splite evenly among two waterblocks, so each water only goes through one resistance,

therefore the resistance is 1, and the amount of liquid flowing in each waterblock is equal, but is split into two

since the water flow amount is 2, each waterblock gets 1 amount of waterflow through it because they are equal

so basically

so you can connect your loop in series if your pump is of high pressure and moderate flow rate

or you can connect your blocks in parallel if your pump is moderate pressure and high flow rate

tl;dr

pros of series loop:

you can make sure all your blocks gets the same amount of water flowing through them, regardless whether they are high resistance or low resistance

pro of parallel loop:

all your waterblocks (that are connected in parallel) get the coolest liquid possible, so you're not cooling the second block with the heated liquid from the first

parallel configuration is only recommended if both sides have the same resistance (i.e, the same waterblock), or else the water will flow more in one block and less in the other, thus causing potential overheating

personally, i would go for cpu and gpu loop in series because they are different

and do parallel loop for my gpu blocks if they are identical (or if you have more than 1 gpu lol)

10 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

series:

parallel:

so basically

tl;dr

pros of series loop:

pro of parallel loop:

personally, i would go for cpu and gpu loop in parallel

ok so lets apply real world data. how bad of an idea is going with a ek cpu block and gpu block in parallel with a d5 pump? also huge rads (2x thick 360 at least)

also isnt that whole things about which order the parts are just a myth. water temp should equal out across the loop i thought.

1 minute ago, cluelessgenius said:

ek cpu block and gpu block in parallel

they're different in resistance, so i recommend not to go parallel with these

i edited my post because i made a mistake on the cpu and gpu that i would personally go for `-`

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

they're different in resistance, so i recommend not to go parallel with these

i edited my post because i made a mistake on the cpu and gpu that i would personally go for `-`

ok maybe not ideal but does it really matter? because the cpu puts out less heat than gpus anyways i thought. so maybe its ok to have less flow in cpu?

1 minute ago, cluelessgenius said:

ok maybe not ideal but does it really matter? because the cpu puts out less heat than gpus anyways i thought. so maybe its ok to have less flow in cpu?

`-` you can try, not recommended though

I tried parallel and didnt have a good experience.

Air bubbles/pockets got stuck in my video card block which caused most water to be directed to the cpu.  Of course there are ways to prevent that but if any part isnt in tip top shape, the problem is not as obvious to notice.