New build, would like if you guys have recommendations on what could be improved

Go to solution Solved by RaymanBlokkin,

Alright everyone, after taking account most things you guys have recommended to me i came out with the following

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hqk3f7

How is this setup?

5 minutes ago, manual mode said:

Also, hey, spend a bit more on a case. Just like the power supply, you want one that is convenient and one that lasts you. Maybe get a Fractal Design Define R5 or a CoolerMaster Mastercase 5. You could drop your CPU to an i5-6400 instead of an i5-6500 if that helps. Both still do very well in games.

The Cooler Master Mastercase 5 looks good indeed, thanks for suggesting that one to me. I have got multiple comments about the choice of cpu and most of them recommend the i5 6500 over the one i currently have so i guess it might be better to change it around. thanks for the help

35 minutes ago, RaymanBlokkin said:

Hello guys,

I have been planning to build a new pc, after talking to a few different people who are little more experienced then i am myself,  i came out with the following setup.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cBxmVn

As a first time builder I am not that experienced on what points to specifically look at hence why I am asking you guys on the forum what can I improve about this setup. And is it good for some mid tier gaming.

Thanks in advance Ramon

Going off of this, I dropped the HDD (you can always add one later) to keep the cost down.

$62 more:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($87.77 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card  ($309.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Fractal Design SSR3-140-WT 56.1 CFM 140mm  Fan  ($7.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Acer G257HU smidpx 60Hz 25.0" Monitor  ($259.99 @ B&H)  <<1440p IPS 60Hz
Total: $1262.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-10 15:06 EDT-0400

If this it too much monitor:  http://pcpartpicker.com/part/acer-monitor-r240hybidx

3 minutes ago, RaymanBlokkin said:

The Cooler Master Mastercase 5 looks good indeed, thanks for suggesting that one to me. I have got multiple comments about the choice of cpu and most of them recommend the i5 6500 over the one i currently have so i guess it might be better to change it around. thanks for the help

OH YEAH. Forgot to mention, get an IPS monitor instead of a standard 1080p one.

2 minutes ago, RaymanBlokkin said:

The 6600K gives you a minimum 30% more power over the life of the CPU.  It will be usable for a good deal longer than the 6500.  You might get a few extra years of use out of it.

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

The 6600K gives you a minimum 30% more power over the life of the CPU.  It will be usable for a good deal longer than the 6500.  You might get a few extra years of use out of it.

If he wants to overclock. It's not necessary, and I wouldn't recommend keeping a CPU for more than 3-4 years anyways. Both will last that long.

6 minutes ago, manual mode said:

If he wants to overclock. It's not necessary, and I wouldn't recommend keeping a CPU for more than 3-4 years anyways. Both will last that long.

What does that mean?  "Wants" to overclock?  In two or three years, with the 6600K, you have the option to overclock.  That means your CPU could last a year or two (or 3, 4, 5, 6) longer.

You don't have to explain it to me.  I am using a 3570K.  It has been three years and I still run it stock.  I am ready to OC if I need the extra speed for any reason.

2 minutes ago, stconquest said:

What does that mean?  "Wants" to overclock?  In two or three years, with the 6600K, you have the option to overclock.  That means your CPU could last a year or two (or 3, 4, 5, 6) more.

You don't have to explain it to me.  I am using a 3570K.  It has been three years and I still run it stock.  I am ready to OC if I need the extra speed for any reason.

Exactly. It's been three years. He will be able to run the i5-6500 at stock for three years or more as well. On top of that, he'd have to add on quite a bit of money to make any improvements with the i5-6600k and z170's price holding him back.

Just now, manual mode said:

Exactly. It's been three years. He will be able to run the i5-6500 at stock for three years or more as well. On top of that, he'd have to add on quite a bit of money to make any improvements with the i5-6600k and z170's price holding him back.

No.

Same price, ready for a 4.5GHz OC:

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($87.77 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($85.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor  ($119.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1208.17
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-10 15:22 EDT-0400

2 minutes ago, stconquest said:

No.

Same price, ready for a 4.5GHz OC:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($85.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor  ($119.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1208.17
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-10 15:22 EDT-0400

$50 more if he intends on using rebates. You chose a card that might block drive bays. You got rid of the hard drive. You chose a lower tier motherboard, but I hope you realize motherboards do effect the OC quite a bit as well. I can say the case was a good choice though. You just got rid of the 1440p monitor that you originally suggested.

2 minutes ago, RaymanBlokkin said:

Alright everyone, after taking account most things you guys have recommended to me i came out with the following

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hqk3f7

How is this setup?

Nice setup. It'll have great in-game performance and it'll last you for several years until you wish to upgrade.

3 minutes ago, manual mode said:

$50 more if he intends on using rebates. You chose a card that might block drive bays. You got rid of the hard drive. You chose a lower tier motherboard, but I hope you realize motherboards do effect the OC quite a bit as well. I can say the case was a good choice though. You just got rid of the 1440p monitor that you originally suggested.

Come on man.  Can you even read a PCPP list?  There are NO REBATES to mess with.  xD

The motherboard is not lower tier.  It is cost effective and plain black.  It will perform with 100% the ability of a $200 mobo.

Just now, manual mode said:

Nice setup. It'll have great in-game performance and it'll last you for several years until you wish to upgrade.

well that is pretty much all i wanted out of the build :)

Come on man.  Can you even read a PCPP list?  There are NO REBATES to mess with.  xD

The motherboard is not lower tier.

The motherboard is indeed lower tier, but you can try and argue with that haha.

End of story is that you're sacrificing quality of parts so he can fit an overclockable CPU into his build. It might end up being worth it, but he doesn't need it and if it DOESN'T end up being worth it then you just screwed him over.

1 minute ago, manual mode said:

The motherboard is indeed lower tier, but you can try and argue with that haha.

End of story is that you're sacrificing quality of parts so he can fit an overclockable CPU into his build. It might end up being worth it, but he doesn't need it and if it DOESN'T end up being worth it then you just screwed him over.

I was honestly not planning to overclock all that much, the reason i fitted an overclockable cpu in my first build was so that i COULD overclock if i needed the perfomance increase

@manual mode

You are wrong.  You are arguing with me for no reason other than to get OP to listen to you.  I am done.

Best of luck with the build Rayman.  :) 

Just now, stconquest said:

You are wrong.  You are arguing with me for no reason other than to get OP to listen to you.  I am done.

I am not wrong. You are irritated with the fact that you are wrong, so you decide to accuse me of something. I could care less about who he's listening to as long as they don't screw him over with something that has the potential to not last.

@manual mode

Thanks man

Alright I think i got my solution for the problems with my last build, I want to thank everyone for the replies and suggestions. Good luck to you all and I hope to see you around on the forums soon! :)