Realistic expectations overclocking 4770k and will this bottle neck SLI 780's?

98Redbird

Hey guys, I've got everything up and running it looks like on my build:

Here is what it consists of:

Asus Sabertooth Z87

i7 4770k

GTX SC 780

16GB Corsair Vengance DDR3 1600

H100i

AX860i

Haf X case

Windows 8 pro

I got everything installed, windows installed, drivers updated to the latest, updated BIOS to the latest from ASUS and started to overclock

Now, every online video I see it seems from JJ at ASUS to Linus, say that I should start by setting the multiplier to 46 ad the voltage to 1.20. JJ I think said to set the multiplier to 47. I tried on 46 and it wouldn't even boot. So I tried 1.25V, and it would boot, but then crash out when I tried to navigate through windows. So I tried 1.30 and it booted and ran fine, until I ran Cinebench, then it crashed. So I backed the multipler down to 45 and it ran at 1.30V.

But if you go online and look around, it appears that you are doing well if you can clock the haswell chips at 4.5 Ghz as most don't even take that.

So what's true? Linus and JJ make it sound as if you should be able to get at least 4.6 out of it and if not you've got a dud but it seems that most out there are lucky to hit 4.5?

Also, if I can run stable at 4.5 will this ever bottleneck 2 GTX 780's in SLI? My plan is to add another 780 in the near future.

Lastly, what should I run for a stability test? Prime 95 it sounds like isn't great for the Haswell platform?

Was hoping for a free program that could tell me if I am stable enough. I've run battlefield 3 for about 2 hours as well as Crysis 3 and the system does fine, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I'm stable correct?

Thanks a ton, this site teaches you a lot!

4770k@4.7Ghz--Asus Sabertooth Z87--(2)GTX SC 780 (SLI)--Corsair Vengeance 16GB--Corsiar 860i--Samsung SSD 128GB X 2--Corsair 900d--Custom Water Cooled

Getting a stable 4.6ghz on haswell is an achievement in itself, I don't find it to be a very realistic starting point. 

About the bottleneck: everything bottlenecks, it will be noticeable in very CPU intensive games (example BF3 64 player, at only 1080p), obviously overclocking will limit this.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Expect 4.2GHz as a starting point. The overclocking barriers for the 4770k are pretty much 4.2GHz (which is usually expected), 4.5GHz (which is where the lucky people get to then stop) and 4.6+GHz (which is where the REALLY lucky people get).

Even if it did bottleneck SLI 780's, you could not fix it. Nothing better is available. But it should not bottleneck them enough to where you notice the bottleneck.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

its very hard for most 4770ks to past the 4.2ghz my 4770k does not past 4.2ghz 

at custom watercooling....

it gets too hot

its very hard for most 4770ks to past the 4.2ghz my 4770k does not past 4.2ghz 

at custom watercooling....

it gets too hot

I am new to this overclocking thing, so please bear with me. 

It's failing at 4.5 with only 1.25 volts... not during a stress test or anything, this is when I start Cinebench 11.5. It doesn't really have time to get hot.

So does this mean that the chip isn't very efficient, and needs more voltage to push that speed? As opposed to getting too hot? 

Again, I am just trying to understand the reason for the failure. 

4770k@4.7Ghz--Asus Sabertooth Z87--(2)GTX SC 780 (SLI)--Corsair Vengeance 16GB--Corsiar 860i--Samsung SSD 128GB X 2--Corsair 900d--Custom Water Cooled

It's failing at 4.5 with only 1.25 volts... not during a stress test or anything, this is when I start Cinebench 11.5. It doesn't really have time to get hot.

So does this mean that the chip isn't very efficient, and needs more voltage to push that speed? As opposed to getting too hot? 

ok so your new i suggest you to read overclocking guides for haswell

and watch overclocking guides on youtube like ttl`s

again now every chip can get 4.5ghz my 4770k only is stable at 4.2ghz

its winning a lottery not every chip overclocks well

maybe its stable at 4.5ghz if you push your voltage a little more but i think its gonna get way too hot

on haswell there is a voltage controller on the cpu itself for higher overclocks it requires a little voltage bump

read some haswell overclocking guides and you know what to do

if you got any questions please direct message me 

cheers 

good luck  B)

Simply put......you didn't hit the silicone lottery.

And pushing your volts higher and higher, is not

a good idea. Especially with Haswell.

Sounds like you are going to be stable around 4.2 maybe 4.3

and be happy about that.  :)

If you had a custom loop, you might eke out a little more.

Alright guys. Been reading through some overclocking guides. JJ from ASUS said that some Haswells like voltage some don't. Every chip is different.

Right now I am stress testing 4.5 Ghz at 1.35 and am getting average temps around 72 degrees C... do you think thats a good place to stop with an H100i or could I try for 4.6 @ 1.40? I'm not sure if the extra 100 Mhz is really worth it to me. I may just be content with 4.5 at 1.35 as that seems that it would still be a nice improvement.

Thanks!

Using Aida64 as my stress test btw, been going at it for a while. One core seems to run hotter, could I back that one down to 4.4 and the others up to 4.6? What effect would that have? I remember seeing in the BIOS that I could set sync all cores, or per core.

Alright guys. Been reading through some overclocking guides. JJ from ASUS said that some Haswells like voltage some don't. Every chip is different.

Right now I am stress testing 4.5 Ghz at 1.35 and am getting average temps around 72 degrees C... do you think thats a good place to stop with an H100i or could I try for 4.6 @ 1.40? I'm not sure if the extra 100 Mhz is really worth it to me. I may just be content with 4.5 at 1.35 as that seems that it would still be a nice improvement.

Thanks!

Using Aida64 as my stress test btw, been going at it for a while. One core seems to run hotter, could I back that one down to 4.4 and the others up to 4.6? What effect would that have? I remember seeing in the BIOS that I could set sync all cores, or per core.

I would just stick with 4.5GHz. That is pretty good as is. 

The one core running hotter is normal for all CPU's. I would just leave it as is. That is probably the "default core" that is always running everything all the time. It probably never idles.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I would just stick with 4.5GHz. That is pretty good as is. 

The one core running hotter is normal for all CPU's. I would just leave it as is. That is probably the "default core" that is always running everything all the time. It probably never idles.

4.5Ghz is the "magical Ghz" for both Haswell and Vishera Processors :P

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Alright, guys thanks 4.5 it is!

I did notice that I was playing BF3 last night and it played fine for about an hour and then it crashed on me, but stated that it was some issue with nVidia and DX11? Not sure, I didn't screen shot it, but if it crashed due to a CPU overclock issue, what does it normally say?

Thanks

I did notice that I was playing BF3 last night and it played fine for about an hour and then it crashed on me, but stated that it was some issue with nVidia and DX11? Not sure, I didn't screen shot it, but if it crashed due to a CPU overclock issue, what does it normally say?

Thanks

Don't use game as your end all guestimate measurement.

run stress test on your new overclocking settings for 24h, if it pass, then you can start ruling something else.

Check out the build: Used to be Obot, now Lilith

Shameless: Me

Thanks!

I wouldn't push passed much more than 1.35V..........At 1.37V heat is going to become a factor.

I wouldn't push passed much more than 1.35V..........At 1.37V heat is going to become a factor.

I can run 1.45 with custom watercooling and stay below 90c while stress testing xD

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

Thanks

If you system crashes, because f CPU instability it would show a blue screen with something written in white. If it says that nVidia driver has stopped working - your GPU drivers have crashed. 

PS: Update to the newest driver from nVidia - 327.23

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

I can run 1.45 with custom watercooling and stay below 90c while stress testing xD

I was considering real world applications. Not sure how long a 4770K would survive

1.45Volts?  :huh:

LOL. you're actually asking if a 4770k at 4.5 ghz will be a bottle neck?? 

Well yeah, I wasn't sure.

I assume you're being sarcastic.

Honest question, at what speed would be a bottleneck for 2 780's?

Would a stock clock 4770K at 3.5 bottleneck them?

Nope. You would probably have to underclock it to see a bottleneck from the CPU in benchmarks enough for it to be noticeable/matter.

† Christian Member †

Nope. You would probably have to underclock it to see a bottleneck from the CPU in benchmarks enough for it to be noticeable/matter.

Gotcha, thanks

Even if it did bottleneck theres nothing else that would do any better. The extreme editions don't perform too much better in gaming.

I was considering real world applications. Not sure how long a 4770K would survive

1.45Volts? :huh:

Yeah, I know :P

and I'm guessing not very long but I wasn't actually running at 1.45 day-to-day just seeing how far I could take it...

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

I have 2 gtx 780s and 4770k

Bottlenecks no none at all

Stress test for gameing

Run

Aida64 benchmark

Run passmark benchtest

Run 3dmark

Run cin bench 11.5 benchmark

If u pass all that no bluescreen and driver failure and temps below 82 then u will be stable to game might not be full system stable but gaming u will be good

For full system do all that +

Intel new stress test in there extreme unity run for 8 hours and 2 for the mem

Yeah, I know :P

and I'm guessing not very long but I wasn't actually running at 1.45 day-to-day just seeing how far I could take it...

Were you able to go past 1.45? Or was that it?

Hey guys, I've got everything up and running it looks like on my build:

Here is what it consists of:

Asus Sabertooth Z87

i7 4770k

GTX SC 780

16GB Corsair Vengance DDR3 1600

H100i

AX860i

Haf X case

Windows 8 pro

I got everything installed, windows installed, drivers updated to the latest, updated BIOS to the latest from ASUS and started to overclock

Now, every online video I see it seems from JJ at ASUS to Linus, say that I should start by setting the multiplier to 46 ad the voltage to 1.20. JJ I think said to set the multiplier to 47. I tried on 46 and it wouldn't even boot. So I tried 1.25V, and it would boot, but then crash out when I tried to navigate through windows. So I tried 1.30 and it booted and ran fine, until I ran Cinebench, then it crashed. So I backed the multipler down to 45 and it ran at 1.30V.

But if you go online and look around, it appears that you are doing well if you can clock the haswell chips at 4.5 Ghz as most don't even take that.

So what's true? Linus and JJ make it sound as if you should be able to get at least 4.6 out of it and if not you've got a dud but it seems that most out there are lucky to hit 4.5?

Also, if I can run stable at 4.5 will this ever bottleneck 2 GTX 780's in SLI? My plan is to add another 780 in the near future.

Lastly, what should I run for a stability test? Prime 95 it sounds like isn't great for the Haswell platform?

Was hoping for a free program that could tell me if I am stable enough. I've run battlefield 3 for about 2 hours as well as Crysis 3 and the system does fine, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I'm stable correct?

Thanks a ton, this site teaches you a lot!

It will, but not by any noticeable margin. A 2011 chip would do slightly better, because it could run at 16x by 16x instead of 8x by 8x.  So if you want MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE, go that direction, but a 4770k will be a WAY better choice price/performance.